Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta] (1 Viewer)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

I just joined MPS and it is a good idea, especially the private feature is great ;) If you select privacy you get privacy that's nice^^

But I have some improvement suggestions:
    - there should be the possibility to watch the trailer of a movie inside MP (If you have friends invited and they can't decide which film they wanna go to watch)
    - the movie description inside MPS (website) should appear in your home language. (e.g. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare: the description is in English, but maybe the German one is just not available. This movie is not in my collection and was just on the start page [ Moving Pictures Social ] ;) ) => it's already done, sorry about that
    - maybe you can store the hash of the movie files and if the movie importer isn't sure it can compare the movie with a hastable ;)

an example (sure, this example is a problem of prober naming, but it is just an example^^):
    1. We have the movie Wallstreet (don't know if it is the new one or the old one) => the Movie importer isn't sure which one it is
    2. we have both movies on MPS and each movie has a set of hashes (it is not stored which user has committed which hash, so the privacy stays still fine)
    3. the movie importer will now compare the local movie file hash to both tables and maybe with some luck it finds the right one^^

to improve the results you should maybe count how many times the hashes exists out there.
    e.g. 123456789ABCDEF -> 3 times
    12345678GHJKLL -> 4 times

So if a hash is on both movies (here the new one and the old one) the count gives a hint to the right choice.

I'm excited to hear your comments^^ Maybe my ideas are trash or they will be taken, we will see^^

//EDIT:

another idea would be to get recommendations which movie would be interesting for you on the basis of the movies you already own

//EDIT2:
    another little suggestion: go to http://social.moving-pictures.tv/m/328/District_9_2009
    under "Starring:" there is a "more" link which show you more actors and if you click it again you will see less actors again.
    it it is always named as "more" it should change to "less" ;)

another suggestion would be to show the most popular actors first, okay I don't care about actors but maybe some other people do^^

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

another improvement would be a kind of navigation bar similar to MP 2:

home -> collection - > MOVIE -> Edit

because every time I add a trailer I have to go this way: USERNAME -> Collection -> new movie
    It would be much nicer to just click on "collection" in the navigation bar to go to the next movie ;)

ZealotSix

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: AW: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

- there should be the possibility to watch the trailer of a movie inside MP
    Trailers are planned for Moving Pictures. They could indeed leverage MPS. Thanks.

- maybe you can store the hash of the movie files and if the movie importer isn't sure it can compare the movie with a hastable ;)
    to improve the results you should maybe count how many times the hashes exists out there.
    MPS is stoing file hashes and counts currently (not tied to user data). We do intend on leveraging MPS as a data source for movpic, and filehashes could be a big part of that. But the data in MPS just isn't reliable enough to use for this purpose yet.

another idea would be to get recommendations which movie would be interesting for you on the basis of the movies you already own
    This is coming. We're just trying to get the core solid before we start working on data mining things.

another suggestion would be to show the most popular actors first
    There is an issue on the tracker to allow the user to reorder actors in a movie. Perhaps using popularity could be used to seed this data though, for existing movies, and new movies when they get created, good idea.

EDIT
    another improvement would be a kind of navigation bar similar to MP 2:

home -> collection - > MOVIE -> Edit

because every time I add a trailer I have to go this way: USERNAME -> Collection -> new movie
    It would be much nicer to just click on "collection" in the navigation bar to go to the next movie ;)
    I agree the navigation needs some work, especially when editing. Thanks.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

cool to hear that some suggestions are already planned and that you are so open minded concerning my suggestions.
    I hope you see my recommendations not only as criticism, but I think that is what a public beta is for: to make improvement suggestions before it is official public^^

Another suggestion would be to brows all movies in MPS and order them due to different criteria (but maybe it is already planned like the recommendations mentioned above).
    Another point is that you can use the search without entering a keyword (atm this is a cool "feature" to browse all movies). And due to which criteria is the result sorted? If I don't use a keyword I can't see a specific order, but if I'm using a keyword I think it is ordered due to the relevance :)

//EDIT
    Sorry about that, but I have another thing....

If you are on somebodies profile and click on "achievements" you will get to your own achievements, but you can't see the exact progress of the other persons profile.. Maybe it is intention, maybe not.

//EDIT2

Maybe I should mention that I really like moving pictures^^ It is the first application which handles my movie collection almost right, so thumbs up for your grate work ;)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I have another suggestion:
    It would be nice to see if I own a movie already while I'm browsing somebody else collection. Maybe a green check (like the info "i") or something like that.
    Now you have to click every time on the movie to see if it is in your collection ;) This would be a "social plus"...

If you should take my suggestion and if you take the solution with the green check, be careful that the info "i" is always on the same position otherwise it could get really annoying ;)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Is the update broken? I added a lot of movies to my db and synchronized it, but the moviecount on my page nor the movie titles are updated?
    EDIT: Found the issue. Due to new cookie had to disconnect in Config and the reconnect again. Now it works as expected ;)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I think I found another bug in your site, but I'm not sure...
    got to this site: http://social.moving-pictures.tv/ajax/usersearch
    you will get a mysqlError message concerning the LIMIT statement...

The error should be in this file: trunk/site/framework/application/models/usermodel.php : searchUsersByUsername() line 253

I tried to manipulate the header from the AjaxScript (containing the post vars), but you were clever enough to build in a nice tool which catches the modified header and throws an error (I never saw something like that before^^). I figured out that it works with cookies (and some binary data), but didn't take a deeper look on that. And I also didn't tried what happens if I would send a request directly to the site mentioned above.

Maybe you can check if the $page var is:
    1. Integer
    2. not below zero

Maybe you will say: Yeah it is just an mysql error, but such an error could be the entrance to the database. I'm not very good in sql injections so I can't tell you how high the risk of this error is, but as far as I can see it shouldn't be so high ;) (the line "$offset = ($page - 1) * $pageSize;" would throw an error if it would be text and not int and that's the reason why I'm posting everything here.. if it would be a bigger issue I wouldn't do that on this way)

ZealotSix

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

I think I found another bug in your site, but I'm not sure...
    got to this site: http://social.moving-pictures.tv/ajax/usersearch
    you will get a mysqlError message concerning the LIMIT statement...

The error should be in this file: trunk/site/framework/application/models/usermodel.php : searchUsersByUsername() line 253

I tried to manipulate the header from the AjaxScript (containing the post vars), but you were clever enough to build in a nice tool which catches the modified header and throws an error (I never saw something like that before^^). I figured out that it works with cookies (and some binary data), but didn't take a deeper look on that. And I also didn't tried what happens if I would send a request directly to the site mentioned above.

Maybe you can check if the $page var is:
    1. Integer
    2. not below zero

Maybe you will say: Yeah it is just an mysql error, but such an error could be the entrance to the database. I'm not very good in sql injections so I can't tell you how high the risk of this error is, but as far as I can see it shouldn't be so high ;) (the line "$offset = ($page - 1) * $pageSize;" would throw an error if it would be text and not int and that's the reason why I'm posting everything here.. if it would be a bigger issue I wouldn't do that on this way)

Thanks, I've made the change you suggested. It wasn't a vector for SQL injection though because this was being used in a parameterized query. Still glad someone is looking at the code, trying to break it though :)

plasibo

Portal Member
    July 5, 2008
    Home Country
    when it says "API: <message>" on the movie edit page on social am I correct to assume that means it was automatically added by the plugin when the user syncs to social?
    If this is the case then something is wrong as the database is missing a decent chunk of my movies (the ones I've noticed the most missing is stand up comedy dvds especially for UK comedians).
    If this isn't the case how do you add movies to the social?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom