MP 0.2.0.5 - When? (2 Viewers)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That would be my guess too....
    I'll be patience if I have too... no harm in showing excitment and enthusiasm, though :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    2. Last update was friday, 11 August 2006 - prior to that, updates was released allmost weekly.... so: When is 0.2.1.0 coming
    d) When its ready / stop nagging!!!

regarding your update schedule expectations,
    have a look how frequently a company like M$ is releasing minor updates/rollups i.e. for MCE. :rolleyes:

:D

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can not understand what could be the reason of NOT telling us what the release plan is, I am sorry ...

WeWe

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    please. let the dev's do their work and stop asking when release X will be released. Software development is very complex and difficult, and it's very hard to schedule a release. There are grazillions of things which can break a release schedule.

If the devs would post a release schedule, it would be subject to change week by week... so there's no point in it :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Attention: this post is not for one specific person, its a general post!

I can not understand what could be the reason of NOT telling us what the release plan is, I am sorry ...
    :mad:

the plan is to release it when its done.

!! - REMEMBER - !!!
    Everyone of the team is working on MediaPortal in his SPARETIME!

I realy do not understand that constand nagging. :mad:

How can someone expect that an open source project can determin one specific date for a release?
    Even big companies like Microsoft are not able to release applications on the date they set for it.
    Or release major updates with new features (see Windows MediaCenter 2005 as example)

During the last weeks and months i have noticed that the amount of nagging and moaning has dramaticaly increased in the forum.

It seems that most ppl have "forgotten" that MediaPortal is opensource. :confused:

Instead of wasting time and energy with nagging and moaning posts/threads,
    ppl should better use this energy to do something productive!
    • provide us with decent testresults/bugreports
    • grab the sourcecode, check it out, its not that complex :)
    • try to improve current skins
    • try to create your own skin
    • try to create your own plugin
    • try to fix issues in other 3rd party skins
    • try to fix issues in other 3rd party plugins

Or simply enjoy the current MediaPortal release. :)

Keep in mind that since no one of the Team gets paid for his work here, it has to be fun to spend the major part of the sparetime to work on MediaPortal.
    If the fun is gone -> the team member is gone.

And this would not be the first time that some ppl would manage to scare a team member away!

With this in mind, do something productive!
    And be a part of this great project!
    :)

mickb

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    Travelling Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well said Chris.

The Devs are in a no win situation. If they set a release date and miss it people complain. I would rather wait a bit longer and have a stable release then be constantly applying patches. In the mean time what has been provided works so enjoy it until the update is ready. Everytime they have to answer a "when will it be ready" demotivates hem and will probably extend the time it takes.

If a company like Microsoft can be so wrong with its release date(s) for Vista with all of its resources, give our talented but part time Devs a break. They have families and other commitments they have to juggle as well as devoting their precious time to the project.

I think the vast majority of users are very appreciative of the Devs and the work and time they have devoted to MP but sometimes the excitement of what "will be" becomes too much. Just take a breath relax in knowledge we already have something better than MCE and it will get better still.

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't take me wrong! I am not nagging because things go to slow or a certain function is there or not ...

I am nagging because nobody tells us what the plan is. I don't like the "it's done when it's done".

You shouldn't forget that meanwhile MP is one of the leading systems in the market. There are thousands of users out there. They need to know what goes on for their personal planning.

My example: I decided to install only stable patches. That makes a lot of sense for me as a user and probably also for the devs and admins because I don't mess with intermediate versions. Now I am on 0.2.0.4 and I am waiting for the next stable because it contains a fix for the black-screen-after-resume-bug. Now I want to know:

- will there be a 0.2.0.5 or not
    - if so, for when is it planned (remark: "PLANNED")

When searchin' through the different threads the only answer I find is: "don't ask, it's done when it's done".

I am havin' NO problem when s.b. tells me "you will have it in a month" or even "you never will have it". Then I can react and I can choose to install an SVN or whatever.

Please understand: I am really havin' a lot of respect for all of the people that are investing their free time. And I am very convinced of MP - It is for a year now our daily and only "TV".

But in my opinion there must be an other way regarding the release plans. Also the users are investing a lot of time and some money and there should be a better possibility for their planning.

thanks+regards
    WeWe

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tsk tsk tsk

You know that 0.2.1.0 should have been out since a while already? Ok, release date was last weekend.

I still doubt that this information would help you anyway.

If you like it or not:

It's DONE when it's DONE.
    What do you wanna do with a released version that is not working or full of bugs?

I have no idea how many times we have to say that. Believe me, it wouldn't make sense to have fixed dates and not telling them to you. Why should we?

Always this "gimme gimme gimme" spoils the fun of it all. At the end you shout "gimme gimme gimme" to nobody anymore, who knows?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    One reason why there aren't any public plans is that MediaPortal is developed on spare time, just like Chris mentioned. And there aren't that good plans / estimates available (at least for me) when a developer has that spare time and how many hours.

Every one that has been in project work knows that even when you know all the available resources it's still hard to make solid plans and when you don't know...

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I don't know if you have ever developed software wewe, but if you have you will understand that, even in a professional environment with a clear specification and a development team that ISN'T so geographically distributed, software is very difficult to timetable. When you have a project like MediaPortal, with part-time developers spread across the world, it becomes an order of magnitude harder. Software development/engineering is one of the most complicated things done by man (not an overstatement) and that is why even the leaders of the industry have trouble getting it done right and on time.

I know you find it frustrating, but that is just a fact. Software development is difficult and notoriously hard to predict. Even if they don't mean to, it sounds ungrateful when people constantly push for a date, or for their issues to be solved first, etc.

As said above, people contribute their time to open source software for fun. Asking them to lock down to some sort of schedule or to constantly answer questions about when xxx or yyy will be done in the forums can really make developing a chore.

Hope you understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom