MP 1.3.x dshowhelper development | Page 3

Discussion in 'General Development (no feature request here!)' started by Owlsroost, October 7, 2012.

1. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Seems to be SOLVED! :)

Made a quick Test and Skin was reacting after watching BluRay. Will see how it will do in the next days ... no news are good news ;)

Thanks for the support!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
  4. cruse
    • Premium Supporter

cruse MP Donator

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thanks for the new version.

Could you please give us a short explanation on those DWM Buffers and what a higher value than 3 might achieve? Do more buffers introduce and/or increase a delay between video and audio?

Thanks!

5. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Basically, DWM = Desktop Window Manager = Aero.

It operates in two modes - the default mode where there is no 'presentation' queue (of rendered video/graphics frames, coming from MP in our case) or the optional mode with the presentation queue enabled. The queue length is set by the 'NumDWMBuffers' reg value, and this queue of frame buffers is between MP and the screen.

In theory more buffers might help to avoid dropped frames after MP (which won't show up in the render stats), but I've never noticed much difference in performance between 3 and larger amounts (3 has always been the default). Also more buffers use up more GPU memory.

Because the queue is after dshowhelper (where the video part of A/V sync is controlled), as far as I know it creates a delay to the video of (queue length * display frame time) i.e. the longer the queue the greater the delay.

Hope that helps :)

Tony

• Like Like x 4
  6. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    delete...

Last edited: October 16, 2012
  7. Pat Clark

Pat Clark Portal Pro

Retired
    Ratings:
    +34 / 2
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    666 version: I do see a change in the render stats. ??

Watching a 720p/60 signal with 3 buffers, I get about 1 drop per second, maybe a little more. With 7 buffers, I get about 1 drop per 10 seconds. I've tried to determine what windows process is running on such a schedule, but couldn't find any. If I raise the priority of MP and TVserver to "real-time," the drops go away in either case. (I normally run TVserver "above normal" and MP "high" without much reason.)

8. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    You could try setting the 'EnableMMCSSforSchedulerThread' and/or 'EnableMMCSSforDWM' registry settings to '1' (I suggest you try all the combinations).

MMCSS = Multimedia Class Scheduler Service - 'EnableMMCSSforDWM' (when '1') puts the DWM system under it's control, 'EnableMMCSSforSchedulerThread' (when '1') puts the dshowhelper presentation timing thread under it's control.

Tony

9. msj33
    • Premium Supporter

msj33 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +69 / 3
    Home Country:
    England England
    Hi Owlsroost.

What will basically be the result of this development?
    • Increased Stability
    • Smoother playback - Less dropped frames in video/TV playback and/or MePo skin?
    • What effects will this have on CPU/GPU usage? (Pro and cons?)
    • Better playback handling between Server/Client? (Especially for wireless setups)
    Reason I'm asking is due to my own hardware specs.
    6 months ago I bought a Zotac AD10 with an AMD E-350 fusion processor, hoping this could be sufficient for the next couple of years.
    Playback of 1080P MKV works flawlessly, but 1080P HDTV seems to have many dropped frames and even MePo seems to have low framerate, when TV is windowed.
    I don't hope 1.3 will require further CPU/GPU ressources - Because when comparing MePo against XBMC, then XBMC seems to advance on this area. Right now we see XBMC running of a raspberry Pi - even with PVR over Tvheadend - So is MePo a ressource hog?
    /Morten

Last edited: October 18, 2012
  10. Pat Clark

Pat Clark Portal Pro

Retired
    Ratings:
    +34 / 2
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I enabled both MMCSS -- worse. About the same as 3 buffers and no MMCSS -- perhaps 150-200 drops in 10000 frames.
    Enabled MMCSS Scheduler -- much better. 1 reported drop in 10000 frames. (7 buffers).
    Enabled MMCSS DWM -- very good. 5 reported drops in 10000 frames. (7 buffers).

As it was (with 7 buffers, neither MMCSS enabled) it was about 15-20 reported drops in 10000.

The actual display may have been drop-free in many cases if renderer can be late but buffering covers it up. I can't tell for sure, but the display is not noticeably interrupted when a single drop is reported. In every case, there is a burst of drops (just a few) as the channel starts. I have ignored these.

As soon as wife leaves (she hates debugging -- I love it), I'll try to lower buffers and see what happens, although the memory usage is not a problem here, I think.

Last edited: October 18, 2012
  11. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    There is no particular target in mind - as it says in the first post, people have been requesting an MP 1.3.x compatible dshowhelper with DWM 'queued' mode support. While I was adding this, it seemed sensible to port across (from the other dev versions) some things which I think improve the performance in some circumstances, and also allow more user control of how it operates (via the registry settings).

As far as I know, GPU usage on 1.3.x should be the same as 1.2.x, but 1080i HDTV is the toughest thing for a GPU to handle (due to the HW deinterlacing load), so I'm not surprised you are getting dropped frames. The HD 5450 (basically the same architecture as the E350 GPU) I have in my work PC also struggles with 1080i content.

Tony

Last edited: October 19, 2012

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!