MP 1.3.x dshowhelper development (1 Viewer)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems to be SOLVED! :)

Made a quick Test and Skin was reacting after watching BluRay. Will see how it will do in the next days ... no news are good news ;)

Thanks for the support!

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the new version.

Could you please give us a short explanation on those DWM Buffers and what a higher value than 3 might achieve? Do more buffers introduce and/or increase a delay between video and audio?

Thanks!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Basically, DWM = Desktop Window Manager = Aero.

It operates in two modes - the default mode where there is no 'presentation' queue (of rendered video/graphics frames, coming from MP in our case) or the optional mode with the presentation queue enabled. The queue length is set by the 'NumDWMBuffers' reg value, and this queue of frame buffers is between MP and the screen.

In theory more buffers might help to avoid dropped frames after MP (which won't show up in the render stats), but I've never noticed much difference in performance between 3 and larger amounts (3 has always been the default). Also more buffers use up more GPU memory.

Because the queue is after dshowhelper (where the video part of A/V sync is controlled), as far as I know it creates a delay to the video of (queue length * display frame time) i.e. the longer the queue the greater the delay.

Hope that helps :)

Tony

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    666 version: I do see a change in the render stats. ??

Watching a 720p/60 signal with 3 buffers, I get about 1 drop per second, maybe a little more. With 7 buffers, I get about 1 drop per 10 seconds. I've tried to determine what windows process is running on such a schedule, but couldn't find any. If I raise the priority of MP and TVserver to "real-time," the drops go away in either case. (I normally run TVserver "above normal" and MP "high" without much reason.)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    666 version: I do see a change in the render stats. ??

Watching a 720p/60 signal with 3 buffers, I get about 1 drop per second, maybe a little more. With 7 buffers, I get about 1 drop per 10 seconds. I've tried to determine what windows process is running on such a schedule, but couldn't find any. If I raise the priority of MP and TVserver to "real-time," the drops go away in either case. (I normally run TVserver "above normal" and MP "high" without much reason.)

You could try setting the 'EnableMMCSSforSchedulerThread' and/or 'EnableMMCSSforDWM' registry settings to '1' (I suggest you try all the combinations).

MMCSS = Multimedia Class Scheduler Service - 'EnableMMCSSforDWM' (when '1') puts the DWM system under it's control, 'EnableMMCSSforSchedulerThread' (when '1') puts the dshowhelper presentation timing thread under it's control.

Tony

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Owlsroost.

What will basically be the result of this development?
    • Increased Stability
    • Smoother playback - Less dropped frames in video/TV playback and/or MePo skin?
    • What effects will this have on CPU/GPU usage? (Pro and cons?)
    • Better playback handling between Server/Client? (Especially for wireless setups)
    Reason I'm asking is due to my own hardware specs.
    6 months ago I bought a Zotac AD10 with an AMD E-350 fusion processor, hoping this could be sufficient for the next couple of years.
    Playback of 1080P MKV works flawlessly, but 1080P HDTV seems to have many dropped frames and even MePo seems to have low framerate, when TV is windowed.
    I don't hope 1.3 will require further CPU/GPU ressources - Because when comparing MePo against XBMC, then XBMC seems to advance on this area. Right now we see XBMC running of a raspberry Pi - even with PVR over Tvheadend - So is MePo a ressource hog?
    /Morten

Last edited:

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I enabled both MMCSS -- worse. About the same as 3 buffers and no MMCSS -- perhaps 150-200 drops in 10000 frames.
    Enabled MMCSS Scheduler -- much better. 1 reported drop in 10000 frames. (7 buffers).
    Enabled MMCSS DWM -- very good. 5 reported drops in 10000 frames. (7 buffers).

As it was (with 7 buffers, neither MMCSS enabled) it was about 15-20 reported drops in 10000.

The actual display may have been drop-free in many cases if renderer can be late but buffering covers it up. I can't tell for sure, but the display is not noticeably interrupted when a single drop is reported. In every case, there is a burst of drops (just a few) as the channel starts. I have ignored these.

As soon as wife leaves (she hates debugging -- I love it), I'll try to lower buffers and see what happens, although the memory usage is not a problem here, I think.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hi Owlsroost.

What will basically be the result of this development?
    • Increased Stability
    • Smoother playback - Less dropped frames in video/TV playback and/or MePo skin?
    • What effects will this have on CPU/GPU usage? (Pro and cons?)
    • Better playback handling between Server/Client? (Especially for wireless setups)
    Reason I'm asking is due to my own hardware specs.

6 months ago I bought a Zotac AD10 with an AMD E-350 fusion processor, hoping this could be sufficient for the next couple of years.
    Playback of 1080P MKV works flawlessly, but 1080P HDTV seems to have many dropped frames and even MePo seems to have low framerate, when TV is windowed.
    I don't hope 1.3 will require further CPU/GPU ressources - Because when comparing MePo against XBMC, then XBMC seems to advance on this area. Right now we see XBMC running of a raspberry Pi - even with PVR over Tvheadend - So is MePo a ressource hog?
    /Morten

There is no particular target in mind - as it says in the first post, people have been requesting an MP 1.3.x compatible dshowhelper with DWM 'queued' mode support. While I was adding this, it seemed sensible to port across (from the other dev versions) some things which I think improve the performance in some circumstances, and also allow more user control of how it operates (via the registry settings).

As far as I know, GPU usage on 1.3.x should be the same as 1.2.x, but 1080i HDTV is the toughest thing for a GPU to handle (due to the HW deinterlacing load), so I'm not surprised you are getting dropped frames. The HD 5450 (basically the same architecture as the E350 GPU) I have in my work PC also struggles with 1080i content.

Tony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom