MP crashes on resume after long/overnight sleep (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Maybe we can try a quick TV ? i'm available in 30 min for testing :p

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since my last post here my HTPC has undergone many changes, Win 10 Creators update, MP 1.17 and several GPU driver updates, new Madvr etc etc. but the problem has remained annoyingly constant and in fact its frequency has increased presumably due to @mm135200's patch being overwritten with the upgrade to MP 1.17. Interestingly following the upgrade of the AMD GPU drivers from 17.5.2 to 17.5.4 I started getting problems where Windows audio would, sometimes (30-50% of the time), switch from 5.1 to Stereo on resume from sleep and was locked in this mode till the next reboot. My assumption was that EDID was detecting the stereo only TV rather than the AVR and in fact the AMD release notes for 17.5.4 confirmed a change had been made in this area. Going back to the previous version fixed the problem, but after much research (AMD are appallingly bad at providing info. on what their settings actually do) I discovered that if you setup a custom resolution, EDID is overidden. I reinstalled the latest version 17.7.2 and selected Custom Resolution and merely confirmed and saved all the std. TV attributes, 1080x1920, 50p etc. That fixed the locked stereo mode issue, AND after 7 days I have not had a single MP crash on resume.:):).
    Now I know that is not conclusive, I need another 2 or 3 weeks, at least but if nothing else it seems to have drastically reduced the frequency of the problem and maybe gives the devs a hint as to what could be causing it. Also are there any results from those who were using the IDA debugger:eek: to get more info on this problem?

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also haven't had any crashes for a while now on the mp1.16 pre release and the latest windows update. So fingers crossed!
    That is very interesting, looking back over this thread I can see that I too never saw the problem when using 1.16pr. Just for clarification are you saying that;-
    1) You have seen the failure with 1.16pr but it stopped after Windows update
    OR
    2) Using 1.16pr with latest windows update you have never seen the problem???

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    On latest madVR (v305 of memory) build there is a change about the audio (for playing) but there is a little change when audio is added/removed not sure it will change anything but worth a try :)
    But to fix this issue, we need to reproduce it to catch the error, so need IDA running etc. :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On latest madVR (v305 of memory) build there is a change about the audio (for playing) but there is a little change when audio is added/removed not sure it will change anything but worth a try :)

If I do see the problem again I will give it a try but at the moment I don't want to add a new variable into what looks like a winning combination.;)

But to fix this issue, we need to reproduce it to catch the error, so need IDA running etc. :)

Understood and as you know I am more than willing to test new code on my HTPC with the provisio that I can reasonbly expect to be able to use it for the evenings entertainment. Unfortunately based on my experience with IDA:eek: so far I do not see it as suitable for running long term (days possibly weeks) on a "live" system.
    I ask again has anyone else managed to get IDA running to debug this problem I seem to remember others were trying it too?????:whistle:

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That is very interesting, looking back over this thread I can see that I too never saw the problem when using 1.16pr. Just for clarification are you saying that;-
    1) You have seen the failure with 1.16pr but it stopped after Windows update
    OR
    2) Using 1.16pr with latest windows update you have never seen the problem???
    Oops, thought I was on 1.16 pre. I'm on 1.16 final for a while now. And I have no crashes. I have seen crashes with this build. I'm not sure if windows update was the turning point to not crash anymore.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    :) for IDA, we need to accept some exception, i didn't use it myself but tested it based on @mm1352000 and i was able to have a MP running (after i have accept some exception) :p

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Now close to a month on since I noticed that my HTPC had stopped crashing with this problem following the EDID override and I am pleased to report that for me it is a fix . In the entire time I have seen only 2 MP sleep/resume crashes,in the first case only the PC went to sleep not the TV and AVR which indicated that MP crashed before the CEC Remote plugin had done its job to put the TV and AVR in standby, MP was not running on resume had to be restarted manually. (i.e. a crash on sleep). In the second case MP was completely frozen on resume and crashed a little while later following multiple button presses on my remote. So neither crash showed the typical footprint of this problem (crash after resume from sleep and first navigation).
    I do appreciate that the EDID override is a workarround that I came upon by a fortunate chance but my hope is that it may give a pointer to the devs as to where the root cause of the problem may lay, if they are not already looking in that direction?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom