MP crashes on resume after long/overnight sleep (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Better screenshots for "how to give control back to MP"...

upload_2017-5-31_11-46-38.png

Click Change exception definition.

upload_2017-5-31_11-47-11.png

Enter any name (but must be unique).
    Untick stop program.
    Tick pass to application.
    Click OK.

...then click Yes.

This is the exception type (code and name) you're looking for after resume:
    upload_2017-5-31_11-49-55.png

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The problem is that I can not get MP to resume following the attachment of the IDA debugger. Screenshot 1 is immediately following the attach, if I then click on the run/play button I either get an exception straight away (screenshot 2) or MP runs for a few seconds before locking up with an exception again!:( Screenshot 3 shows the result of going through the dialog shown in your last post and again clicking on run. Added later:- Clicking OK at this point does return control to MP but it instantly crashes.
    No doubt I'm doing something wrong but at the moment it looks to me like the IDA debugger is continuously sensing exceptions.
    attach.jpg afterrun.jpg afterexc.jpg

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Encountering some exceptions is normal. IDA will detect even internal "managed"/.NET exceptions that are thrown and caught by design in the code. Those can be ignored. Use the "change exception definition" process as described above for those. Unfortunately there's no way to easily pre-configure IDA to ignore them.

However, this "...instruction at ... referenced memory at 0x0..." in the screenshot - that looks like a genuine problem that should be investigated on it's own merit.

No doubt I'm doing something wrong but at the moment it looks to me like the IDA debugger is continuously sensing exceptions.
    As above: it's IDA's job to "sense exceptions". Most can be ignored ("change exception definition"); some are genuine errors, and it's those that we need to catch and investigate.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Encountering some exceptions is normal. IDA will detect even internal "managed"/.NET exceptions that are thrown and caught by design in the code. Those can be ignored. Use the "change exception definition" process as described above for those. Unfortunately there's no way to easily pre-configure IDA to ignore them.
    Did that but as I mentioned earlier the exception is not ignored, it goes back to MP which instantly crashes.:mad:

However, this "...instruction at ... referenced memory at 0x0..." in the screenshot - that looks like a genuine problem that should be investigated on it's own merit.
    This exception happens often while trying (numerous times) to get this setup working but only when IDA debugger is attached to MP.o_O I'm not really interested in troubleshooting a debugger.

As above: it's IDA's job to "sense exceptions". Most can be ignored ("change exception definition"); some are genuine errors, and it's those that we need to catch and investigate.
    That's understood, what is not understood though is that the "change exception definition" is not working for me, the exceptions mabe ignored by the IDA debugger but when it returns control MP crashes instantly and restarting MP does not reattach the debugger.:mad:
    Now it may be my total inexperience of using IDA but at the moment I am really p'd off with the whole thing so for today that's it!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This exception happens often while trying (numerous times) to get this setup working but only when IDA debugger is attached to MP.o_O I'm not really interested in troubleshooting a debugger.
    You're making some big assumptions there. ;)

Just because MP doesn't normally crash without IDA doesn't mean that there's no problem. Memory is allocated pseudo-randomly, so the chance of a crash is also pseudo-random.

The exceptions you're seeing may be related to the crash on resume. Nobody can know without further investigation.

That's understood, what is not understood though is that the "change exception definition" is not working for me, the exceptions mabe ignored by the IDA debugger but when it returns control MP crashes instantly...
    That's due to the nature of the exceptions. IDA is finding real problems! Do you want to find the cause of your crash or not? :)

...and restarting MP does not reattach the debugger.:mad:
    That's 100% expected. Can't be changed.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's due to the nature of the exceptions. IDA is finding real problems! Do you want to find the cause of your crash or not? :)

Yes, but since I am not able to run MP for more than a couple of seconds before IDA finds a "fatal" exception it is pointless for me to continue to try and set it up to run long term. The only way I can see of proceeding is for you to do another Teamviewer session start up IDA and pull whatever data you need following the instant exceptions. ;)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep debugging is tricky :)
    Do you have some amount of exception with another skin ?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yep debugging is tricky :)
    Do you have some amount of exception with another skin ?
    I have not tried but even if it did help stabilise the debugger setup will it help troubleshoot the original problem. Do we know for certain if skins other than DWHD suffer this problem?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I mean maybe skin can avoid some exception so MP can be more usable, i didn't use IDA myself because i have Visual Studio but need to test it and see if often exception happen lol.
    So the result of maybe use another skin is to let you use MP (like you want) and hoping that the sound crash happen.

The issue seems to happen when a lot of device are added / removed / added, i can't reproduce this but maybe it can be simulate (like for ex disabling the audio device manually in system config :p)

Are you available for testing this too ?

For ex : (without IDA for now but will need to have it after)
    1- start MP
    2- navigate on MP
    3- disable audio device in computer management
    4- navigate on MP
    5- does it crash ?

If yes, we just need to attach IDA at step between 3 and 4 :p and maybe the crash will be catch and help us to know where exactly :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom