MP on Win7 x64 (1 Viewer)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hello!

I'm courious if anyone has some experience with MP on Windows 7? I'm about to format my HTPC, and I need it to be stable, so i don't know wether i should go for Vista or Win7. How does the integrated h.264 codecs in Win7 preform?

My setup will include MyTV, Moving Pictures, MyEmulators and MP TVSeries mainly, and probably the StreamdMP skin...

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    and I need it to be stable

That would be 32bit Vista then.

As a) 64bit isnt supported for MediaPortal and b) Not every plugin works on Windows 7, and as its only in beta, and I doubt the MediaPortal team have done any testing yet, its highly likely to be less stable (MediaPortal that is, not the OS itself).

However, if you just want to mess about, nothing stopping you from trying W7

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2008
    Arendal
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, i want a solid sytem, so i guess i'll go for Vista then...

But i've been chatting around in the forum, and it seems like many users are quite staisfied with 64bit OS, so i think i'll go for that...

The_Iceman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Duisburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal runs fine and absolutly stable on X64 Vista...

Right now I've it running on "7" x64... It runs good so far... just MovingPictures isn't working in all it's glory...

The_Iceman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Duisburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Jepp 32bit mode... but that doesn't matter, because there are no perfomance differences under 32 or 64 bit...
    For me it runs a little bit smoother under 64bit because all of my RAM is used :D

AIstudio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2007
    Blackpool
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also run Vista x64 and yes it does run under the 32bit kernel inside vista 64.
    I was hearing a lot of issue horror stories with all sorts of aplications for vista 64 so I thought that I would try it for myself and see. For me I have had NO issues at all running vista 64 :)

Regards

Kev

Valin

Portal Member
    January 12, 2009
    Karlskrona
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Right now I've it running on "7" x64... It runs good so far... just MovingPictures isn't working in all it's glory...

How did you get Mediaportal to work on Windows 7? I can't get it to install on Windows 7 32-bit :(

Pretoriano

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Home Country
    Romania Romania

How did you get Mediaportal to work on Windows 7? I can't get it to install on Windows 7 32-bit :(

Hi,you can make the installer run in "Vista compatibility mode" so this way it will install fine.
    I have however some problems with my TV tuner (in tv server it can't find any signal but works fine with MediaCenter)...
    On Vista x64 is working great and i have no issue,imo is much faster than vista x86 and indeed Windows 7 is verry stable for a BETA version but you will encounter some drivers issues (atleast i have some with my configuration) so if you want a solid system i highly reccomend Vista x64 not Windows 7...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom