MP TV Series completely rebuilds database if my server crashes. (4 Viewers)

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1, i believe that is the network connection is lost (i.e i shutdown the main file server at night automatically) but the HTPC stays running, all my watched items are gone by the next day. the HTPC is set to reboot at 5am which is before the fileserver is online the next day

I am not sure if its actually rebuilding the database from scratch tho.

This only started happening when i installed the newest version of mytvseries, streamedmp and MP1.1 final. no problem with movingpicutres, myvideos etc

attached is a log from yesterday

thx for all hardwork, this is a great plugin.

Attachments

• MP-TVSeries.bak
      178.7 KB

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    +1, i believe that is the network connection is lost (i.e i shutdown the main file server at night automatically) but the HTPC stays running, all my watched items are gone by the next day. the HTPC is set to reboot at 5am which is before the fileserver is online the next day

I am not sure if its actually rebuilding the database from scratch tho.

This only started happening when i installed the newest version of mytvseries, streamedmp and MP1.1 final. no problem with movingpicutres, myvideos etc

attached is a log from yesterday

thx for all hardwork, this is a great plugin.

Doesnt look like your database is being cleared from the logs...I personally have no problem with watched flags being cleared, not sure what maybe causing that issue for you. I think you will need to create a smaller test scenario to help narrow it down.

Try just creating a new database with several test files you can set the watched flag on. Then re-import or repeat what you think causes the issue.

flixxx

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2007
    i also replicated the problem for you guys again.

The first test i ran was unplugged the network cable from the HTPC, but that didnt' do anything.

Then i disabled filesharing on my server, and it reproduced the problem all of my watched items have been reset and it started asking me to confirm some shows it couldn't pick up on it's own.

I ran MP in debug mode

PS In the old version of MPTVseries the exact same scenario would not cause this problem.

Phiolin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just adding that I had the exact same problem with the new version.
    My files are stored on a Windows Server and the file path is added via UNC to TV-Series, so I don't need a drive mapping on the HTPC client.

When resuming from Standby, it seems that sometimes the network connection is not immediately available which is also indicated by TV-Server logging an error because the database is unreachable. Somehow this seems to affect the TV-Series database if the plugin is running an import during this time and if the share is available again later (which is usually a matter of seconds), it will re-add existing series (indicated by the plugin asking to confirm the series names - I have auto-matching disabled) and will loose watch flags for those series.
    This mostly only happens for some series while others remain untouched and keep their watched state.

Currently I work around this by always exiting Mediaportal before the TVService puts the system to standby and starting MP manually after resuming. This way I haven't lost any watched flags so far. If I let Mediaportal run on the basic home screen and TVservice puts the HTPC to standby, it's more like anything can happen to the tvseries database on resume, depending on if the network comes back online in time.

Will try to reproduce and gather some logs later on.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    A better work around for your issues with the network not being available is to turn off 'Automatic Import and Update' on startup. Also disable the File Watcher Monitor.

Then you can just run an import manually from the Hidden Menu when its safe. Alternatively you can set 'Keep references' for the network share if its not always available.

Will see what is doable in fixing the issue when im in bug fixing mode.

noonereallycares

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    A better work around for your issues with the network not being available is to turn off 'Automatic Import and Update' on startup. Also disable the File Watcher Monitor.

Is there any chance of delaying the scan, or simply giving a grace period before 'cleaning up' the database?

I tried storing my database on a network path, but that resulted in TVSeries creating a new database if the UNC path wasn't available fast enough after returning my HTPC from suspension.

Hopefully MP2 moves towards offering the use of a central database (MSSQL or MySQL) for extensions like this. It would be great to not have to remember which shows I had watched in the living room when I go to watch something in the bedroom.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Is there any chance of delaying the scan, or simply giving a grace period before 'cleaning up' the database?
    Its something I strongly want to do...esp with a lot of plugins now doing operations on startup. I can imagine it would also be a killer for under powered HTPC's. Will investigate and try to get it in a 2.6.X release.

I tried storing my database on a network path, but that resulted in TVSeries creating a new database if the UNC path wasn't available fast enough after returning my HTPC from suspension.
    I use to have the problem a long long time ago...after tweaking my network setup (drivers, static ip, disable power off lan when entering standby (can't remember the exact name of the option) I had no problems.

For now, I advise just turning off auto update and import path monitoring. You will have no more problems and you will have faster and better performing skin on startup.

flixxx

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2007
    I use to have the problem a long long time ago...after tweaking my network setup (drivers, static ip, disable power off lan when entering standby (can't remember the exact name of the option) I had no problems.

For now, I advise just turning off auto update and import path monitoring. You will have no more problems and you will have faster and better performing skin on startup.

I never had any issues with the import, for the people who shut down their servers at night for example would have to turn off auto-update but that feature is nice to have on to make everything seemless. I don't have performance issues so leaving it on doesn't slow anything down.

I liked the older version that did not rebuild the database and watch flags if there was no network connection, I feel like this is a big bug for the people who use network storage as an option (in fact I imagine a USB drive that gets disconnected would yield the same results).

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I liked the older version that did not rebuild the database and watch flags if there was no network connection.
    I remember the old version (2.5.X) doing the same thing...nothing has changed there. If the Import Path Monitor detects the files are not available and 'Keep References' is disabled then say bye bye to those files in the database.

I think we should do an additional check to see if the Import Path is offline as well...maybe we can investigate that in a maintenance release.

btw...you dont have to keep emphasizing that watched flags are lost, of course they are since they are part of the of the same table in the database (another deficiency). I think if you enable 'Download episode information for whole series' then it wont be removed, but not 100% certain on that. Too many damn options :)

ozn

Portal Member
    June 4, 2008
    ltfearme;646720 Also disable the File Watcher Monitor.[/QUOTE said:
    I'm exepecting same issue, I will remove automatic update untill it gest fixed, How can u disable de File Wathcer monitor? I can't find that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom