MP TV Series completely rebuilds database if my server crashes. (4 Viewers)

flixxx

Portal Pro
December 7, 2007
I liked the older version that did not rebuild the database and watch flags if there was no network connection.
I remember the old version (2.5.X) doing the same thing...nothing has changed there. If the Import Path Monitor detects the files are not available and 'Keep References' is disabled then say bye bye to those files in the database.

I think we should do an additional check to see if the Import Path is offline as well...maybe we can investigate that in a maintenance release.

btw...you dont have to keep emphasizing that watched flags are lost, of course they are since they are part of the of the same table in the database (another deficiency). I think if you enable 'Download episode information for whole series' then it wont be removed, but not 100% certain on that. Too many damn options :)

I reverted back to MP-TVSeries-2.5.3.1008 and I can't replicate the problem, it works fine.

I emphasize on the fact that the watched flags get lost also because some people may only notice that symptom. Some of my shows are not properly named so when the database gets rebuilt it asks me to confirm some selections (that's how I know it doesn't only wipe the watched flags).

If a user has everything named properly though he'll just think the watched flags are getting reset when in fact there is a lot more going on in the background.

bushbrother

Portal Pro
February 14, 2008
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If a user has everything named properly though he'll just think the watched flags are getting reset when in fact there is a lot more going on in the background.

Just to add that this is exactly how I found this forum thread, I have my files named correctly and I never get prompted for series confirmation, I noted that my flags were reset after a few days and have come here to investigate.

I had previously tried to rebuild the database from scratch, this had no effect. For me it seems to be OK on resume from standby (my files are on a NAS, mapped using UNC) but if I restart the PC it seems to cause the issue. Perhaps my LAN card is slow to get an IP on startup?

I don't really want to disable the auto-watch stuff as this is the nicest feature of the plugin! Also I am not complaining about no fix, I will try to get some logs :)

:D

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You can try Setting a Static IP instead of dynamic, Update your NIC drivers, put a delay on MediaPortal load so your network is ready.

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    You can try Setting a Static IP instead of dynamic, Update your NIC drivers, put a delay on MediaPortal load so your network is ready.

I am already on the latest NIC drivers and I already use static IP :(

The thing is that this never used to happen in the previous version of MP TV-Series as others have pointed out, for now I will disable the auto-scan stuff, but surely something must have changed within the code to cause this to happen?

BraX

Portal Member
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    France France

Just to add that this is exactly how I found this forum thread, I have my files named correctly and I never get prompted for series confirmation, I noted that my flags were reset after a few days and have come here to investigate.

I had previously tried to rebuild the database from scratch, this had no effect. For me it seems to be OK on resume from standby (my files are on a NAS, mapped using UNC) but if I restart the PC it seems to cause the issue. Perhaps my LAN card is slow to get an IP on startup?

I don't really want to disable the auto-watch stuff as this is the nicest feature of the plugin! Also I am not complaining about no fix, I will try to get some logs :)

Exact same symptoms for me here.

I happen to restart my server from times to times (ie when i watch a movie locally stored), I then lose all my watched flags.

I did update from latest RC1.1 and TVSeries 2.5 to 1.1 Final and TVSeries 2.6 at the same time.

Maybe the 1.1Final changed something too ?

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    I have attached my logs here and also on the issue tracker on Google Code.

I have looked at my logs, it is constantly deleting all of my series from the database and then re-adding them back in, thus removing all the watch flags. This definitely did not happen in previous versions and I have always had my series on my NAS, which is never turned off, just the clients are put to sleep or rebooted.

Attachments

• MP-TVSeries.bak
      735.1 KB

Johan

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think we should do an additional check to see if the Import Path is offline as well...maybe we can investigate that in a maintenance release.

I think that Moving Pictures do a check if the UNC path is available. If it is offline the files will not be cleared from the database.
    If the UNC path is available and the files are not there anymore they gets wiped from database.
    Maybe MyTVSeries can implement the same feature?

I also have problems that the watched flags gets removed. I will try to give a detailed picture of how it works for me. I can later on post logs but I am not sure if this helps since logs are allready posted from users with same problem.

The watched flag only gets removed for the episodes where the files are re-imported.
    If I have previously watched episode 1-5 they are marked as watched.
    I have now deleted the files for episode 1-2 and the filenames gets removed from database.
    HTPC loses network and all filenames are wiped.
    The watched flag is still OK.
    Network is back and MyTVSeries re-imports files for episode 3-5.
    Episode 1-2 is still marked as watched, filenames for episode 3-5 is back and they are now marked as unwatched.

The information and watched flag are (if I am not mistaken) seperated from the filename.
    Even if the filename is removed from database all the episode information is still kept as well as the watched flag.
    At least this was the case prior to 2.6.0

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    Any update on this? I see it is still flagged as "New" on Google Code. Is there any way to prevent this from happening without disabling scans?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What worked for me was checking 'keep references' next to Import path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom