[MP1-4578] Crashes after standby. (3 Viewers)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Standby'ed PC returned frozen with the old error pattern of black rectangle on top of Windows desktop. I have uninstalled the WorldWeather plugin again, although I don't believe that this is the root cause. I rather believe that the issue is related to:

a) PC resuming in non-HDMI Resolution (1024x768) before switching graphics driver (sometimes there is a popup message and a MePo log entry)
    b) Problems with Windows putting computer to sleep.

I have redefined the Windows power settings and particularly deactivated the away mode. Right now there are too many variables changed at the same time and I Need to do some systematic testing first. Note that it is only this client showing the problems (Intel HD2200 ? graphic on G3220 CPU). My workbench Desktop, running with an older CPU on Windows 8.1 has no Problems.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    attached please find a test release of WorldWeather 1.6.2.
    This version includes minor changes to the internal internet connectivity handling. Failed internet connects will be handled in a different way and will be logged only, the notification dialog has been removed. Important: To use this test release, please install WorldWeather 1.6.1 before.

@HTPC_Sourcer, @killer8: please provide your experiences with this test release, thank you.

EDIT: Test version removed, because official version v1.6.2 was pulished,

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think there is a bug in the fix from sebastiii. I didn't close all windows before starting mp. After this put mp in standby and woke it up again. But the other window shows in front of mp now but the focus is on mp.

Settings I use and maybe have something to do with this bug:
    - Start mediaportal in fullscreen mode
    - Use alternative fullscreen splashscreen
    - Keep mediaportal always on top

I added a screenshot of how the screen looked like when I resumed(it's taken via vnc, that's what the border is from)

However maybe this was just coincidence, since i'm not able to reproduce the issue now anymore. Will continue testing on the freeze issue.

Attachments

• Knipsel3.PNG
      Knipsel3.PNG
      3.1 MB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks :) need to look is it happen again :) Yep MP should focus now for sure but maybe some setting interact and bring other window on top :)

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just to report back. I installed Sebastiii's fix and updated worldweather with the update available in the plugin manager(1.6.1). I've tried for about 20/30 times now but mp doesn't crash anymore. So maybe version 1.6.1 from worldweather fixes the issue. I got the no internet popups multiple times but I was always able to just click to get it away and didn't had any freeze anymore.

I will install version 1.6.2 provided by Micropolis to see if it's also fixes the issue. Maybe it's just coincidence with version 1.6.1, so I will keep everything enabled and report back incase I have another freeze.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello killer8,
    ... I installed Sebastiii's fix and updated worldweather with the update available in the plugin manager(1.6.1). I've tried for about 20/30 times now but mp doesn't crash anymore...

Under these circumstances @Sebastiii is the hero now, WorldWeather v1.6.1 does not contain any changes to internet connectivity handling.

Cheers, Micropolis

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Updated to worldweather 1.6.2 and used the fix from @Sebastiii but got a new problem now. After resume there was a little black rectangle in the upper left corner. After some seconds the full screen became black. The only thing I see is the mouse which can move before the black screen. When I click with my mouse I hear the sounds of the menu. I'm also able to close mediaportal by clicking around the spot where the close button is. It seems mp works but the screen is just black.

@Micropolis the log also shows: [2014-10-11 20:51:24,606] [Error ] [3 ] [ERROR] - Error: Required internet connection not established to load weather data.

Here's the log.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, i will link to my own build that has change about TVHome.TvDelayThread() if i'm not wrong, it seems that it's another issue now :)
    So you can confirm me what happen, upload will be finished in 1 hour :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi there,

I tried to analyze the standby/resume situation systematically:

• MePo not running: Windows shuts down in S3 after 5 min as preset in energy Options. Wake up with keyboard works correctly.
    • MePo running (no WorldWeather installed): System is shutting down correctly (PS is configured to use the Windows Settings). Keyboard wakeup is working correctly
    • MePo running / WW 1.6.1 installed: the system shuts down as expected. Wakeup with Keyboard leads to the previously reported black rectangle in front of the Windows Desktop, which is showing a message that Windows is not running in the optimal Resolution but uses 1024x768 (instead of full HD). System recovers within one second and displays the expected MePo home screen.
    The differences between the two last options may be due to the time between standby and resume. In the first case I woke the system up almost immediately after standby, in the other case there was a 30 min lag.

In essence I believe that the focus issue is resolved and any remaining resume problems (killer8) are not linked to WorldWeather in any way. The incorrect resolution at resume on my system is probably subject to the Intel display driver. All allowed resolutions are stored in the registry and I tried to delete the 1024x768, however, Windows would not allow me to do that.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After resume there was a little black rectangle in the upper left corner. After some seconds the full screen became black. The only thing I see is the mouse which can move before the black screen.
    @killer8 , this sounds very much like a (known Intel) driver issue. I looked for some hardware data of yours but could not find information, also your syspecs are not active. What type of graphics are you using and have you verified that you have installed the latest driver updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom