[MP1-4578] Crashes after standby. (2 Viewers)

killer8

Portal Pro
July 29, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It keeps crashing over and over again. Seems it was much more stable on 1.9 pre release.

Here is another zip from watchdog, I hope anyone can help me to fix this.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It keeps crashing over and over again. Seems it was much more stable on 1.9 pre release.
    Loads of Kernel-Power errors in your logs.
    Check your network card and see if you can disable wake from sleep for testing purposes.
    Then you get a whole bunch of errors from MiniDisplay, so disable that while testing, since it seems to catch exceptions.
    Also triple-check that Windows Media Center is completely shut down and the service is disabled.
    And last but not least, see if you can update DirectX (Windows Updates), since that's throwing a whole bunch of errors also.

Open a command prompt and type: sfc /scannow
    and let that run to check system file integrity.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, thank you for the reply.

I've already disabled wake from sleep because I kept waking up my pc without a valid reason, however I remember there is also an option to not put the network card in standby. Maybe this is the reason of the crashes since most of the time when mediaportal crashes the screen freezes on a popup of the weather plugin which mentions there is no internet connection available.

I will also try minidisplay, what error did you exactly see? I thought I've fixed all these issues by installing redistributed 2005 x64 edition.

Media center is completely disabled atleast mediaportal says so(all 3rd party texts are green in both tv and normal config window). Is there anything else I can check if it has been disabled correctly?

I've checked windows update again yesterday and all updates are installed correctly. What do you exactly mean with directx update? It should have been installed through windows updates right? I've also reinstalled the nvidia drivers(selected clean install while doing this).

I've ran this scan before and everything was fine, but I will run it again.

I will check this out tonigh, since i'm at work at the moment.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    since most of the time when mediaportal crashes the screen freezes on a popup of the weather plugin which mentions there is no internet connection available.
    I have that popup every morning for a second when i resume ;)
    It's normal since WorldWeather tries to update and the first 2/3 seconds after resume the NIC needs to be initiated.

I will also try minidisplay, what error did you exactly see?
    Check your last attached logs, and open 'MediaPortal-Error.1.log':
    Code:
    [2014-10-01 00:40:21,131] [Error  ] [MiniDisplayRender] [ERROR] - .IsDisabled: iMON hardware is not connected
    [2014-10-01 00:40:21,160] [Error  ] [MiniDisplayRender] [ERROR] - .IsDisabled: iMON hardware is not connected
    [2014-10-01 00:40:21,162] [Error  ] [MiniDisplayRender] [ERROR] - MiniDisplayPlugin.DisplayHandler.DisplayLines(): CAUGHT EXCEPTION De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.

System.Object[]
    Just a couple (13...) of those ;)

I can check if it has been disabled correctly?
    You could check services to see if any Media Center services are disabled and set to Manual.

What do you exactly mean with directx update? It should have been installed through windows updates right?
    DirectX June 2010 comes with the installer:
    http://install.team-mediaportal.com/DirectXRedist2010
    extract the package and run 'DXSETUP' to fix any potential issues.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

- Network card wakup is disabled.
    - Mini display plugin is disabled in mp
    - Mediacenter services are not running(All mediacenter services are set to manual in the services menu)
    - I've installed the directx files again
    - sfc /scannow says no problem

After this I put the pc in standby and woke it up again and it crashed again. Here is the support zip.

Anything else I can try?

I assume you still used the WatchDog, bu ti see Wifi Remote entries in the log. That has given issues in the past, so make sure you use WatchDog option 1 so we only run MediaPortal with the default Titan skin, then we can continue from there.
    Ooh, and please clean your logs folder before the next MP start. It's getting a bit hard to read & messy with 10 different versions ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm starting to get a bit lost here.
    Just to be sure: after resume MP really crashes to desktop? or is it frozen and you need to kill it?
    2nd question: How do you use the VNC Server? That is also throwing a whole bunch of errors about 'No display found' and 'source is occupied'

According to your MediaPortal.log, resume was finished @ 17:55:06
    Code:
    [2014-10-01 17:55:06,471] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: OnResumeAutomatic - Done
    [2014-10-01 17:55:06,471] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - PS: RESUMEAUTOMATIC
    [2014-10-01 17:55:06,472] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - PS: System has resumed from standby
    and i can't find anything 'weird' after that... and the logs end about 30 seconds after resume.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Homey,

No it doesn't crash to desktop. It freezes and I have to kill it.

I'm using VNC server to connect form my normal pc and laptop to maintain the pc. I only have a small bluetooth keyboard and a remote connected to the HTPC so it's quite hard to do some tasks(it's possible but quite slow).

It's possible the logs stops 30 seconds after the resume has finished. Most likely I killed the mediaportal process since it freezes and dumped all logs straight after that.

Does this information make any difference to the problem?

Ps. I also have 2 other problems with the pc which don't have to do anything with mediaportal but maybe worth mentioning:
    - Sometimes when I wake the computer from standby the hdmi sound doesn't work and I have to "reset" the nvidia videocard via devcon.
    - Sometimes the keyboard/remote don't work correct anymore. For example ok button on remote doesn't work anymore and the keyboard gives weird characters when typing or makes different actions when pusing a button then expected.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, just making sure you aren't testing it through an RDP connection ;) Setup is no problem, i do the same with my HTPC but with Windows RDP.

- Sometimes when I wake the computer from standby the hdmi sound doesn't work and I have to "reset" the nvidia videocard via devcon.
    Give AVR AudioGuard a try. It might solve the problem (and also potentially fix missing 'menu clicks' (that is, if you encounter them)).

If you can test the HTPC resume without WifiRemote, then i would definitely give it another try without that plugin (if you haven't already).

I need to take another look @ the logs tomorrow, but for now i can't find the culprit of the problem :(

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm sure. I always disconnect before I do any testing. I prefer VNC over RDP since it can capture logged in accounts where rdp logs the user out and logs in remotely.

I will disable wifiremote and try again, can I enable imon again?

Thank you for the hint on avr audioguard, looks good. Hopefully it will fix my issue since I have to run devcon now everytime the sound is missing. I will give it a try.

Thank you for all your help. I will report back incase I got another crash or the issue gets fixed.

Last edited:

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I almost thought I fixed it yesterday after I changed the shutdown order in my Logitech harmony. But late at night I had a crash again, however this was a different crash. The screen was showing the desktop but mediaportal was still crashed and running in the background so I had to kill the process. Error was:

[2014-10-02 01:27:07,294] [Error ] [53 ] [ERROR] - LoadSkin: Running on wrong thread - StackTrace: ' bij System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    bij System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.LoadSkin()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
    bij TvPlugin.TvFullScreen.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindowManager.ActivateWindow(Int32 newWindowId, Boolean replaceWindow, Boolean skipHistory, String loadParameter, Boolean skipAnimation, Int32 focusControlId)
    bij MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.ShowFullScreenWindowTVDefault()
    bij MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.ShowFullScreenWindow()
    bij TvPlugin.TVHome.TvDelayThread()
    bij System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bij System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()'
    [2014-10-02 01:27:07,301] [Error ] [53 ] [ERROR] - LoadSkin: Running on wrong thread - StackTrace: ' bij System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    bij System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.LoadSkin()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.AllocResources()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
    bij TvPlugin.TvFullScreen.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindowManager.ActivateWindow(Int32 newWindowId, Boolean replaceWindow, Boolean skipHistory, String loadParameter, Boolean skipAnimation, Int32 focusControlId)
    bij MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.ShowFullScreenWindowTVDefault()
    bij MediaPortal.Player.g_Player.ShowFullScreenWindow()
    bij TvPlugin.TVHome.TvDelayThread()
    bij System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bij System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bij System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()'
    [2014-10-02 01:27:40,586] [Log ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Exception: System.NullReferenceException: De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.InitializeDeviceObjects()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFontManager.InitializeDeviceObjects()
    bij MediaPortal.D3D.RecreateSwapChain()
    bij MediaPortalApp.OnDisplayChange(Message& msg)
    bij MediaPortalApp.WndProc(Message& msg) Message: De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld. Site : Void InitializeDeviceObjects() Source : Core Stack Trace: bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.InitializeDeviceObjects()
    bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFontManager.InitializeDeviceObjects()
    bij MediaPortal.D3D.RecreateSwapChain()
    bij MediaPortalApp.OnDisplayChange(Message& msg)
    bij MediaPortalApp.WndProc(Message& msg)

This morning my system crashed again without an error (I guess this was 8:55 o'clock) this was the same error as before again the screen just freezes up and the weather app shows it has not connection. I had to kill the process again.

I've included watchdog zips again.

Edit: I see the error I mentioned was the one you told me I could ignore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom