[solved] MP1-4585 Generic HID input device support for MCE buttons (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This work is now part of MediaPortal v1.11

I've reworked our Generic HID support for better handling various input devices including remotes and keyboards.
    I would appreciate any kind of testing you could do using the following installer:
    http://tinyurl.com/nwg5fgr (LATEST)

It's MP 1.10 with the 'Generic HID' changes.
    I'm especially looking for people using the current 'General HID' to test this new implementation for possible regressions.
    People using 'Microsoft MCE' configuration should also be able to switch to the new 'Generic HID'.
    People using Sceneo configuration and not using the mouse features should also try and switch to 'Generic HID'.

Here is what the configuration page looks like now:
    upload_2014-12-26_21-54-32.png

upload_2014-12-26_21-54-48.png

See also JIRA MP-4585.

With those changes I'm aiming at replacing a few HID specific implementation we already have. In fact if the HID specs are implemented properly there should be no need specific implementation for MCE Remote eHome devices or not. As this new implementation matures it should be able to handle any HID device out there thus reducing the need for device specific configurations and making it easier for MP user to setup their input devices.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also the Mapping dialogue in the configuration is not functional. I'm wondering if I should even bother implementing one. What's your opinion on that. Mapping dialogue or no mapping dialogue? I never bothered using it myself.
    I have used the mapping support on the "Microsoft MCE" tab for use with my MCE remote, and also the mapping support on the "Sceneo" tab for use with my Ortek remote. I am not exactly clear how this relates to the changes that you are making, but if the intention is to replace all HID support with the new software (hence affecting MCE and Ortek), then yes, I would definitely want mapping support! (But I may have misunderstood what you are proposing.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I usually go straight to the XML file rather than toy arround with the UI. Alright then point taken, I'll see how I can get that mapping UI working.

This one change only involves refactoring of the 'General HID' in such a way that you should be able to use it as is for both your MCE and Ortek remotes. However you will still be able to use MCE and Sceneo configuration.
    Later on we could remove them if the Generic HID turns out to be good enough.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Developers @Testers
    Is any one using this "Support input even if MP is in background" option?
    Care to explain the use of it for me?
    I'm planning to implement such an option too but I would like to deprecate the current implementation and I'm trying to understand what are people using this for.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    No clue lol
    Maybe to let MP react to something like with mptray ? but i'm not sure.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is any one using this "Support input even if MP is in background" option? Care to explain the use of it for me?
    Not using it myself, but presumably it is used by people that want MP to receive input when not focussed.
    When I need to use a keyboard with my HTPC, the one that I use has dedicated keys for media center functions (stop, play/pause, forward, backward, plus shortcuts to go directly to various MC panels -- TV, videos, music, pictures). So one could imagine the scenario where one is working on (say) a Word document, whilst playing music and wanting to control that music without having to switch to the MC window, i.e. most keystrokes go to the window with the focus, but the MC keystrokes go to the MC window. I don't know whether this demarcation is possible, so it may be that all keystrokes go to both windows, but each window ignores the keystrokes that are not relevant to it. (I have never used this capability, with WMC or MediaPortal.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Good point maybe that's what it does. I'll try test it and see what I get.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've updated the installer link above, that new version includes fixes for button repeat behavior and volume.
    The Mapping dialog has also been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom