MP2 - V2.1 [MP2-557] Images with exif information won't get thumbnails. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    What is about creating image thumbs when first time viewed in one of the clients? This is how many image viewers are working and this will save lot of time on import. And people are used to wait for thumbs when they first time enter an image folder...

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    However, neither Lehmden nor I seem to be getting any picture thumbnails
    I can try with @Lehmden's samples later this evening.
    What is about creating image thumbs when first time viewed in one of the clients?
    While the idea is solid, I don't know if this fits into the MDE infrastructure. Normally importers handle all thumbnail storing. Maybe @morpheus_xx can better comment on this.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While the idea is solid, I don't know if this fits into the MDE infrastructure. Normally importers handle all thumbnail storing. Maybe @morpheus_xx can better comment on this.
    Agree. We have one common way to create thumbnails during import. Leaving this way in favor for images would lead to code changes to handle exceptions.

And this will slow down the first browsing of images. So I still feel it best placed where it is now (no matter if first run or refresh, this might get an configuration option like online sources)

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I get SharpDX exceptions in the WICThumbnailProvider.
    @Lehmden
    Is there a difference in the dimensions/resolution of the images between the images working and images that are not?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Is there a difference in the dimensions/resolution of the images between the images working and images that are not?
    In General old images have smaller size, as they were scaled for 768 px height. But I also have lager images (1080 pixel height) that have no exif and got thumbnails. All images with exif are scaled to 1080 px height and have no thumbs.

I get SharpDX exceptions
    It seems as if there is a massive issue with current SharpDX in MP 2.1. As posted somewhere else I often have SharpDX crashes when scrolling larger lists. Can this issue have the same root cause?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Blimey :censored: - the thumbs appear!!!

Confirming morpheus' findings here (y)

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I noticed that the EXIF data specifies an image size of 4256 × 2848 but the actual size is 1613 × 1080. I don't know if that could be part of the problem.
    @morpheus_xx Any comment?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Blimey :censored: - the thumbs appear!!
    But things are really slow and MP is very laggy. Testing in a VM though...

A kind of progress indicator, or at least the turning wheel would be good.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    For testing I've added some raw jpg images straight out of the camera. There thumbnails are created. :eek::confused: So it must be something with my workflow. All images that didn't get thumbs are written by Photoshop CS4... Really weird. Nevertheless they definitely should work...

Aside this I've encounter another issue with the image player. If you have portrait orientated images that have rotation information in exif they got thumbs with correct orientation but are shown wrong. As background and also in full screen view. Only the thumb is correct oriented.
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

But things are really slow and MP is very laggy.
    That's a general issue in 2.1 as soon as larger lists have to be displayed. The server is not responding fast enough any more. 2.0 was much better in this.

Edit:
    By the way... MP 2.0 has generated thumbs for those images that did not get thumbs in 2.1...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom