[Finished] [MP2-801] Support for tag image extraction (1 Viewer)

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
October 31, 2016
Germany Germany
Country flag
Is it possible to include a feature that reads the detailed tag information out of a mp4 video, like the stored cover image, etc?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Hi.
    MP4 is a commercial file format (container) developed by Apple for MacOS. This makes things much more difficult in general, compared to the Open Source format MKV.
    MKV tags are more common and also much more feature rich than MP4 tags. For MKV there is a free tool that can be used everywhere (mkvinfo.exe) and is used in MP2 already to read MKV metatags since a long time...

There is no free open source tool to read the tags from the MP4 format. Available are only some modules written in Pearl, Ruby or Java, none of them are usable inside MediaPortal 2 (written in .NET).

So I wouldn't expect this happen anytime soon, also it is not completely impossible...

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Okay, but my windows explorer shows also the cover image and read it from the file. How can I merge all my 300 mp4 Videos in mkv without loosing the tags? In my opinion mp4 is the better alternative, because I stream my videos also via webdav to my mobile device.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Denmark Denmark
    Country flag
    There is no free open source tool to read the tags from the MP4 format. Available are only some modules written in Pearl, Ruby or Java, none of them are usable inside MediaPortal 2 (written in .NET).
    That's not entirely true. We currently use taglib-sharp to read MP4 tags. The only tags we read though are title, sort title and year. We currently don't extract images from MP4 files but as far as I know it should be possible with before mentioned library.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Denmark Denmark
    Country flag
    @HTPCSourcer
    If we want this in MP2.2.1 I could take a look at it if you create a Jira for it.
    @cbr954rr
    What tag information would you expect being read from MP4 video files? MP3 and MP4 audio tags should already be read.

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    @cbr954rr
    What tag information would you expect being read from MP4 video files? MP3 and MP4 audio tags should already be read.
    I added a cover image to all files, but mp does not read that image out of the mp4 file.

Users who are viewing this thread