MP2 and MP1 running together? (1 Viewer)

Sarah

Portal Member
May 20, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello all,

FAQ-page says that MP1 and MP2 are completely segregated: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/6_Support/FAQ/Installing_on_MediaPortal_1_System
But upgrade notes at MP2 news says that MP1 TV-Server has to be stopped: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/mediaportal-2-summer-15-release

I want to try MP2, but still keep my working MP1. So are they segregated or is there anything I have to take care when using both together on one computer?

Thanks

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi Sarah,
    they are separated products so you can have them installed at the same time on the same machine.
    But there is one thing to note (hence the hint in the upgrade notes):
    MP2 installer contains its own TVServer (basically the same as MP2-TVServer, but contained in the MP2 process). But there can be only one TVServer running on a single machine. So if you have MP1-TVServer running on a computer and then start MP2 Server with its included TVServer on the same machine, there will be two processes trying to access your TV cards. And this will result in trouble...
    Therefore, the only thing you need to do in your situation: Don't let MP1-TVServer and MP2-Server run at the same time. First stop MP1-TVServer, then start MP2-Server and vice versa.
    Hope that helps!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    An addition... During installation of MP2 the MP2 Server automatically is started. So before you install MP2, please stop your MP1 TV Server first...
    MP2 comes with a "Status Monitor" from whom you can start and stop MP2 Server easily for later use of MP1 TV Server.

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Do I understand this correctly: If I want to run MP2 I will have to interrupt MP1's TV Server whilst I am running MP2 Server? If this is the case, I will not be able to run MP1 and MP2 simultaneously.

What a shame, I currently have MP1 TV Server and MP1 client installed on my main 'server' machine with 2 more clients installed on other machines. l was hoping to additionally install MP2 server on my main 'server' machine and replace one of my existing MP1 client installs with an MP2 client as a way of 'trialling' MP2 while still running MP1.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    This also works - but you need another TV-Provider for the MP2-Server. The Tv-Provider included in the installer package for MP2-Server cannot run at the same time as the MP1 TVServer. But there is another TV-Provider called MPExtended-Provider. To make it work you need to:
    • Install MPExtended for your MP1-TVServer
    • Remove the inbuilt TVE3 TV-Provider in your MP2-Server
    • Add the MPExtended-TVProvider to your MP2-Server
    The MPExtended-TVProvider is kind of a bridge between your MP1-TVServer and MP2-Server and makes MP2-Server use the MP1-TVServer instance so that you can really let both run in parallel. You can download the MPExtended-Provider here. There's is also some guidance how to install it. For details, I would pass to @Lehmden as I have never used it :)

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Excellent, will give this a try when I have some time to spare. Thanks for the feedback.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You need to also exchange the MP2- Client TV Part to work with MPE. But don't expect the same TV Experience as with Native TV. Depending on your Hardware, the TV part probably isn't responding as fluid as Native TV. Some features are not available through MPExtended as they are not supported by MPE. Example given, recently running recordings are not available in "My Recordings" before they are finished. If you use MPE, so please don't take this to judge the TV experience in MP2. It's not a full featured solution and isn't developed any further.

As the new Release introduces a new compatibility system you need to download the SlimTV MPExtended package for SR15 from our repo. You can not use older ones. And keep the original TV plugins from this release on a safe place, if you later want to test or use MP2 Native TV.. Then you only need to revert the changes you've done for MPE...

pigboy306

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to resurrect and old thread but is this the same. I set up MP2 but wanted MP1 as a client on the same machine so I could use MP1 front end if I wanted to. I set the host up an connected. But in MP1 I can't view the tv

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Was going to post a new thread.....and found this!
    Confused....but it doesn't take much to do that!! :oops:
    Looking for an idiot proof way of running MP1 and MP2 on the same...single seat...machine.....and obviously not at the same time.
    #2 and #3 seem to provide answer for me.
    Any updates on this process for the July 17 release??

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    OK...switched of TV service for MP1,
    Installed MP2......opened TV server config for MP2.....only to find MP1 server config running, and all TV channels and settings from MP1 were available.
    Initially....MP2 functions....without channel scan! (That can't be right?)
    Tried switching TV service OFF from config.......but had to go to computer management to make it happen.

Setup has to be idiot proof for me......I've tried this several times since MP2 arrived....and each time, the only way forward is to uninstall MP2 in order to get back to a working MP1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom