MP2 and MP1 running together? (1 Viewer)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As, often happens money provides also a degree of freedom, so assuming you want to stay legit and you don't want to spend for a licence.
    What??

...I'm talkng about the IPTV provided by DVBlink server
    I realise that: now. I just followed your statement & went to their site>DVBlink product. Followed their 'get Started', & ended up at the DVBlink TVSource product page. What I needed was the DVBlink Server, from their downloads page. How was I to know, that is what you meant, as the server software is not listed anywhere on their DVBlink page?

If w/o DVBlink, likely the next best option is to use MP1 server as the real tuner manager, then install MPextended then use MP2 server to access the IPTV shared by MPextended, way more complicate to setup, less options (no WMC clients for example), but feasible.
    Thank you for the explanation.

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

I think it's called capitalism ;)
    How was I to know, that is what you meant, as the server software is not listed anywhere on their DVBlink page?

DVBlink practically is the server, its natural client was WMC , then the android client, the kodi plugin and so on....

MPediaportal is not included (but there is an easy script to import easily the DVBlink channels in MPserver, just google for "dvblink mediaportal".

Now that WMC is not supported by MS anymore (although our port works even better than the original) they had to provide an in house client, but the last time I checked it was anything but memorable.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you only like to test MP2 with Movies/Series/Music/Images then you can install the MP2 Server on the client machine (w/o TV tuners) easily. MP2 server did not relay on any TV tuners available. This did not interfere with the existing MP1 installation in any way. You only need to be sure, your Media can be accessed by the MP2 server system (network shares). Then you can test MP2 with all features excerpt for TV.

The only scenario where MP1 and MP2 are interfering is if you install the MP2 server on the same physical machine as the MP 1 TV Server. As MP2 server always include the TV Engine Plugin the installation fails, if the tuners are used and blocked by another program (like MP1 TV Server). For this you need to stop the MP1 TV server before you install MP2. As soon as the MP2 installation is done you can remove the TV engine plugin (on MP2 everything is a plugin) and then start the MP1 TV server again. If you later want to test the TV features of MP2 you can disable the MP1 TV server and copy the TV engine plugin back into place. With this done the TV support in MP2 server is back again... You even can export the MP1 TV settings and re- import them into MP2 TV so you even did not need to do a channel scan or any other configuration...

In a later version the installer will allow to de- select the TV engine plugin during installation, but this is not jet done...

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you, Lehmden for the concise explanation. It is exactly what I was looking -& hoping- for. I will now proceed with personal testing. The main requirements I would like to see, are the plugins comparative to Moving Pictures & TVSeries. Once I am happy (as I am sure I will be) I carry the test across to the main HTPC.

Could the above statements be added into the MP2 WIKI? They would clarify matters greatly for those considering making the switch from MP1 to MP2. I could do it, with your permission, if you don't have the time.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The main requirements I would like to see, are the plugins comparative to Moving Pictures & TVSeries.
    A full integrated movie and series management is part of MP2.

I could do it, with your permission, if you don't have the time.
    Everybody is free to make Wiki entries - actually we welcome every user contribution. :) So please proceed and create an entry. The worst that might happen, is that I move it within the Wiki to a different place.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    In a later version the installer will allow to de- select the TV engine plugin during installation, but this is not jet done...
    Sorry, but no, the installer will not provide such an option. It's not a task for the installer to manage (installing, uninstalling) plugins, this will be done by the plugin manager.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    are the plugins comparative to Moving Pictures & TVSeries.
    As mentioned already, both are part of the main MP2 system.
    Moving pictures compared to MP2 Movies "module" is nearly on the same level with slightly more features (e.g. for genres) on MovingPictures side where MP2 has better support for collections and moviesets.. But the series part of MP2 is much, much better than TVSeries. You can use TMDB, Fanart.TV, Matroska- metatags (similar to ID3 tags for music) and .nfo files (and lost of other online databases) as metadata source where TVSeries solely works with the not very reliable TVDB. Aside this, MP2 supports unlimited episodes in one file where TVSeries only supports 2 episodes maximum... This is a nice feature especially for those who use DVD/BD disk (- images) with series...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom