MP2 and MP1 running together? (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The MP2 configuration is called MediaPortal 2 TV Cofiguration and looks differently. Its connection is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTV.Service3\SetupTV.exe":

View attachment 191967
Correct.....but the window that opens does show the MP1 icon at the top left hand corner. (Same MP1 icon in task manager too!)
Channels/settings are already present.....so does this mean that the MP2 config tool uses the same channel scan results as used in MP1, and that there is no requirement for a scan in MP2???

Also.....is deactivate the same as disable on startup, or perhaps manual startup?.....still not clear from #14 and #15

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but the window that opens does show the MP1 icon at the top left hand corner. (Same MP1 icon in task manager too!)
    yes, that's the correct behavior.

Channels/settings are already present...
    I assume you had MP2 working before? Uninstalling it doesn't delete the databases, hence the previous state is still present.

so does this mean that the MP2 config tool uses the same channel scan results as used in MP1, and that there is no requirement for a scan in MP2???
    No. A completely new install will have no channel info. But "new" means that you need to manually delete the MP2 section in ProgramData

is deactivate the same as disable on startup
    Probably. My Windows 10 is in German and the last option is called "deactivate" but I assume that this would be "disable" in an English environment.[/QUOTE]

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I have never got as far as doing a channel scan in MP2....but channels are present anyway.
    Also....the MP2 config window shows all of the MP1 plugins I've used previously.....but I haven't configured any MP2 plugins yet!!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This looks like a pretty messed up setup.

Uninstall MP2 in the control panel. Then open Explorer and navigate to C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal. Delete all folders that start with MP2. Make sure that the MP1 TV Service is disabled. Restart your PC just to be sure. Then reinstall MP 2.1.1

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hooray!!!!.....Now there are no channels present....and I can scan!
    Thankyou!!!:):):)
    There was also 12GB of Backup folders present....going back for over 1 year....which I have deleted!
    Hopefully this was the correct thing to do?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    ....,.and the acid test passed...I've successfully got back from MP2 to a working MP1...:)

Can now begin the process of configuring MP2. (...and can fall back to MP1 as needed!)
    Will I find the help I need in MP2 documentation, or are there any 'stand-alone' guides out there?

Once again....thanks for the help....feel like I got there in the end!!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

The Solutor

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Frankly I was really surprised when I discovered that MP1 and MP2 servers are conflicting, and I'm really puzzled about the underlying motivation.

Ok we know that two programs trying to access the same tuner can result in an unpredictable behavior.

BUT

#1 I may have more than a tuner (or a multiple tuner) on my machine and dedicate them to different servers.

#2 I may not have a tuner at all, using only IP TV providers from the web, or (my personal case) using DVBlink as a central point and accessing it from WMC/MP1/MP2/Kodi/Whatever, seamlessly and conncurrently. In the worst case DVBlinks tells that all the installed tuners are in use. Simple and newbie friendly.

Personally I workarounded the problem using a virtual machine for the sole purpose of installing one of the MP servers and having it up and running side by side with the other.

It works perfectly, but is a waste of resources anyway given MP1 and MP2 servers should run w/o any problem other than changing the TCP port to one of them.

Fix this please, its a really odd and unsuspected behavior.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Frankly I was really surprised when I discovered that MP1 and MP2 servers are conflicting, and I'm really puzzled about the underlying motivation.
    A simplified explanation is that the same software core (TV Engine 3.0) needs to access different databases for MP1 and MP2.

Ok we know that two programs trying to access the same tuner can result in an unpredictable behavior.
    That's not the reason for the chosen software architecture.

Fix this please, its a really odd and unsuspected behavior.
    This won't change for the time being. Maybe in the future with TVE 3.5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom