[Blog] MP2 development progress (1 Viewer)

Jocker_Boy

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Lisbon
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hello.

I'm portuguese, so sorry for my english.
I have a ideia that i don't know if it is possible.

Well, que objective is this:

Have a server where is all the data (Videos, images, music...) and severall clients (User 1, user 2, user 3...)
And in each client, is possible to chosse wich user ir logon ou several users (severall people watching the same movie, for example),
and when each client is logon to "MediaPortal" can see his/her files already watched.

And to uptade data (videos, images, music...) i only update in the server machine, so that i don't have to uptade in each machine.

Is this possible ou will be possible?

I think severall people will want this feature.
Basically, in one house, each people have one profile and when watching a movie, we can select which user is watching.
And in that house, there is a server, and severall small machines in some divisions of the house, which are very sillent and don't cost to much energy, and can be beautiful cases.

Once more, sorry for my english.

Tomibeck

Portal Pro
November 25, 2008
Ähm Thats the reason for a media server. They said that it will be a media server where all media is stored. And also i think anywhere in this thread they said that the diffrent user thing will not happen in the first releas of mp2 but that it would be possible in later releases.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: MP-II development progress

I have a question to the planned media server... most UPNP-AV Server only support the lossy media types like wma, mp3, ogg vorbis, acc and so on.
Do you plan to support also lossless media types like flac and ape?

Tomibeck

Portal Pro
November 25, 2008
Re: AW: MP-II development progress

I have a question to the planned media server... most UPNP-AV Server only support the lossy media types like wma, mp3, ogg vorbis, acc and so on.

i think the main problem is the player? The server does only provide the data. Or am i wrong with this ? The AUdio file will be decode on the client?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    The server does have to know about them as they have to parse them for Meta data usually. Also, if the client wants to skip to 1m 30sec into a file you don't want to be streaming all that, you want to jump the start point forward and stream from there.

This is getting a lot more complex, but if you are then getting into transcoding based on the clients capabilities or connection then the server needs to know what the file is for setting up the transcoding parameters.

Simple file serving is a fairly easy thing to do, a streaming media server is a whole other level of complexity..... and coolness :D

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MP-II development progress

Hello.

I'm portuguese, so sorry for my english.
    I have a ideia that i don't know if it is possible.

Well, que objective is this:

Have a server where is all the data (Videos, images, music...) and severall clients (User 1, user 2, user 3...)
    And in each client, is possible to chosse wich user ir logon ou several users (severall people watching the same movie, for example),
    and when each client is logon to "MediaPortal" can see his/her files already watched.

And to uptade data (videos, images, music...) i only update in the server machine, so that i don't have to uptade in each machine.

Is this possible ou will be possible?

I think severall people will want this feature.
    Basically, in one house, each people have one profile and when watching a movie, we can select which user is watching.
    And in that house, there is a server, and severall small machines in some divisions of the house, which are very sillent and don't cost to much energy, and can be beautiful cases.

Once more, sorry for my english.

Ähm Thats the reason for a media server. They said that it will be a media server where all media is stored. And also i think anywhere in this thread they said that the diffrent user thing will not happen in the first releas of mp2 but that it would be possible in later releases.

Yes, that's the correct answer. The media server runs once in the complete system, which consists of this server and 1-n clients which are attached to that server.
    And yes, we won't implement a user management in the first release, maybe later.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP-II development progress

Well, we're taking a slightly different approach than the standard UPnP AV media server solution.
    The standard UPnP AV media server uses the UPnP protocol for the discovery of devices (so the client is able to find the server in the network without the need to configure hostname/port etc.) The "AV" part is basically a specification, how the interface looks like. If this standard type is implemented, this device can be used by each UPnP AV client with a defined semantics of all methods.

Typically, implementors of UPnP AV write the AV server in a way that it is able to comply with the service specification(s) of the UPnP AV system, i.e. their data store and internal data structures follow the data structures defined by the UPnP AV specification.

In our solution, the UPnP AV interface is not the basis of our development; we have our own interface which is used for the MP2 client-server communication. Thus, we also have own (much more flexible) data structures and own access techniques. And yes, our own system off course supports lossless media types. And that's not all; the system is easily extendible by additional plugins providing the ability to import more media types (we call it MetadataExtractors).
    The UPnP AV interface will be implemented in a later stage and it will be based on our own data structures. We will support as many of the optional parts of UPnP AV as we need to provide our flexibility to the UPnP AV world.

Cheers,
    Daniel

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Re: MP-II development progress

And yes, we won't implement a user management in the first release, maybe later.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Hi,

I do hope you design MP2 in a way that user management can be added later without a complete rewrite because imo user management will be one of the key features for the next generation of htpc software. (Boxee already has one afaik)

:D

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't wait to see what MPII will be able to do, but with the MP1 coming close to a stable release i was wondering if the developers are planning to make the design in a way that MP1 and MPII can be installed on the same computer. (different directories etc)

That way we can use our systems to run the test versions of MPII aswell as the stable MP1 version, my girlfrend would also be very happy with that otherwise she has another year(s) where the mediacenter is changing week by week ;)

I can even imagen that you would get a popup when you press start and have both versions installed so you can select to run the stable MP1 or test version of MPII.

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom