[Info] MPExtended 0.6 Beta Release (1 Viewer)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You need to pay for Android App, you need to pay for plugins, you need to pay for Skins, you need to pay for..... If you got the whole package you need to pay more than 200$. Some skins are at 25 Bucks each, unbelievable...

I've paid for HECO and Eve for MediaPortal/MPExtended and they were not as great and instant working as plex. Connectivity problems, hickups from MPExtended. Endless configuring the right profiles. Deinterlacing problems with TV.
    So all lost money.

Plex app works out of the box. Skins and plugins are extra and i only use Plex Media Server as a replacement for MPExtended.

Syncing your movies and tv shows on the background and to lower resolution to iPad/iPhones etc for offline usage is better then using Handbrake all the time for everything.
    Photo's do sync too.

I can highly recommend it to other users.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Could we use this thread about how to improve MPExtended and how it interacts with the existing clients?

wouter1971, what exact connectivity problems do you have and what kind of hickups are you talking about? Have you reported elsewhere and posted log files so someone can improve? Do Plex offer different streaming profiles or is it dynamic and changes profile depending on available bandwidth?

I can only talk about MPiV in how one need to add credentials, yes it's a manual step but I didn't thought it would be worth the time to implement something more advanced, adding the credentials take less than a minute and one can check if they are correct. I know dieBagger has done more with aMPdroid for a one click adding of a client. But I would guess that other things like running the service with too low credentials, firewalls or wifi reception is a bigger problem. But I can only guess, please report about your experience.

Should we use different default values for streaming profiles? Please suggest how we can change things to improve the user experience.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @johanj: about the user experience.

Plex:
    - Easy configuration
    - You can give it to a child to work with.
    - Fast and snappy
    - If you start the iPhone/iPad app content is almost instantly visible.
    - "On deck" playlist that shows all the last played movies
    - Streaming profiles do not have to be selected with every movie
    - Subs are working with ALL movies
    - Playback of movie is started almost instantly.
    - During playback scrolling through the movie is possible. So you can start where you left of.
    - Picture quality is brilliant (no strange artifacts during playback) (MPextended profile issue)
    - Movies are fluently and no stuttering is visible during playback. (MPextended profile issue fps?)
    - Syncing items so they can be played back offline on portable devices.

I'm sure this needs coding on the mpextended side as well, but i think most people are willing to pay for a nice product, at least i am ;)

Note: Don't be mislead by my user experience with Plex, MediaPortal is my main HTPC in de living room. MP is more beautiful then Plex in a million ways. And i'm watching live tv with it. It's just the (portable) user experience of MPExtended & MP Apps i'm missing.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Having allsorts of issues with MP extended already detailed my issues but no one has replied in the other posts. When I use final release MP extended playback on iPhone/iPad is stuttering and unwatchable. This is because Ffmpeg isn't an option. When we use the beta core and web side versions iPad/iPhone playback doesn't work just shows timing out and won't load under Ffmpeg. But works fine under windows on flash etc. We downgraded the web side of things so it intermittently works now and iPhone/ iPad playback is spot on when it works but every few hours were having to restart the service as we lose links to recordings and TV guide etc. If you manually type in the address links in your browser address bar to these they are accessible and work but for some reason the links do not show up at the top of the screen, where they should be see pic attached...

Antivirus has all exceptions, and ports are correctly opened on router. I wasn't expecting it to be the firewall or the ports anyway as a restart of the service seems to make it work again. Films tabs will always show as well when the issues occur the films just don't play though and come up with that error. The recordings and TV guides tabs dissapear though and sometimes don't appear with that first restart of the service.

I have tried on both 3G and wifi connection, these issues do not occur when using the latest final build of mp ex. However it's not watchable on iPad or iPhone due to the streams being jittery which seems to be a known issue on the forums.

We had to downgrade the web side of things to ensure some functionality so the only bit that is on the beta is the core part. When both were on the beta nothing would play back on iPad or iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      556.7 KB
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      731.8 KB
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      76.8 KB
    Last edited:

jodesi

Portal Member
    April 12, 2012
    England
    Home Country
    England England
    I can understand people liking Plex and I use it also. When you want an all round package that includes live TV I find Mediaportal with MP Extended to be tools that a true media server needs. I have the lot running on my server, as in Mediaportal with MP Extended server, Plex server, iTunes Server, file server etc etc. It's running on a Haswell i5 with 8GB RAM. It very rarely goes over 25% usage.

Now on to my question.

I upgraded to 0.6 directly over 0.5.4 with no issues apart from the new streaming profiles don't seem to filter through to the web server. Have I missed something obvious?

I see Scrapers in the new control panel.. what are they for? I use MP TV series and Moving Pictures atm, are they still ok?

Thanks

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

I really like MP Extended, WebMP and aMPdroid. It's really great stuff!!!
    I just want to know if the development is continued. Usage and UI could be improved. What could the community do to speed up development?

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Usage and UI could be improved.What could the community do to speed up development?

Are you any good at Java? [emoji1]

Seriously though DieBagger is the main aMPdroid developer but I've not seen him on recently. Might be worth asking for a copy of the source if you have some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom