[Question] MPExtended WebMediaPortal and Chromecast (1 Viewer)

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you're watching content using aMPdroid there's a good chance your server is already doing some transcoding work.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using chromecast together with plex at The Moment and it can do 720p at least and this with some core2duo CPU in my Server but with high CPU usage

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yesterday the Google Chromecast has been released for 35 € in germany.
    I directly went to MediaMarkt and bought one.

I tried it out yesterday and it is some really great device especially together with Plex Media Server which I tried out in the last two month.

Is it capable of bitstreaming discrete surround audio, like AC3, DTS etc? Also, have you tried Netflix on it?
    Emph

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Capabilities / Codecs
    https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

ACC / Dolby is possible

The system works with some standard video formats but together with systems like Plex (which transcode) it really works cool.
    Together with BubbleUpnpServer and DVBViewer Recording Service I even was able to watch live TV (sd worked / hd was stumbling) on it.
    Be aware that this is some really workaround solution with the tv but the potential is there.
    It will never run like some real pc but for 35 bugs it's really cool and some real complete solution which transcodes live tv it could work.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    Curiosity and impulse purchasing got the better of me so I've bought a Chromecast. BBC iPlayer and YouTube are supported out the box, I'll see if I can get any sample code working to use a the basis for an MP app.

Users who are viewing this thread