Status
Not open for further replies.

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Is there any benefits regarding sound quality?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is there any benefits regarding sound quality?
    In short, the anwser: YES!

I was able to google all of this in 5 minutes.

WASAPI wiki
    WASAPI is Microsoft’s own ASIO, it talks straight to the soundcard if set to exclusive mode.
    As it is exclusive mode, no other application can use the sound card.
    No more system sounds at full blast over the stereo!

As WASAPI in exclusive mode talks straight to the driver of the audio device, the stream send to this device must match the capabilities of this device in terms of bit depth, sample rate, number of channels and audio format (PCM most of the time) otherwise it is silence.
    The program using WASAPI can do this by configuring the audio device to match the source.
    In this case we have bit perfect playback.
    This allows for automatic sample rate switching as well. No up/downsampling quality issues.

ASIO
    ASIO bypasses the normal audio path from a user application through layers of intermediary Windows operating system software so that an application connects directly to the sound card hardware. Each layer that is bypassed means a reduction in latency (the delay between an application sending audio information and it being reproduced by the sound card, or input signals from the sound card being available to the application). In this way ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently. Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency and poor-quality mixing and sample rate conversion of Windows NT 5.x audio mixing kernels (KMixer)[citation needed], allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware. Unlike KMixer, an unmixed ASIO output is "bit identical" or "bit perfect"; that is, the bits sent to or received from the audio interface are identical to those of the original source, thus potentially providing higher audio fidelity. In addition, ASIO supports 24-bit samples, unlike Windows NT 5.x MME and DirectSound which truncate 24-bit samples to the upper 16 bits, whereas Windows NT 6.x mixer provides 32-bit floating point output. Higher bit-depth samples offer the potential for a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

ReplayGAIN

Opus Audio Codec

Last edited:

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have downloaded this version to test the replay gain function which I am looking forward to being in the next release.
    My test setup is an NEC Versa laptop feeding the audio output into a recorder with level meters. I am using two songs to test, one having a level of -9.5dB in the tag and the other +5,8dB. Without the replay gain ticked there is a big difference in volume but with it enabled I cannot pick the difference, well done.:)
    I have loaded a large playlist of .flac and .mp3 files and it had no major problems running for 2 hours while changing the playlist order. One minor problem, I can move a file up, down and delete from the playlist with the keyboard but cannot delete with the mouse, only move.
    Sorry I cannot assist with testing other functions as it's a bit beyond my expertise but I hope this is helpful;)

Last edited:

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    One minor problem, I can move a file up, down and delete from the playlist with the keyboard but cannot delete with the mouse, only move.
    Sorry I cannot assist with testing other functions as it's a bit beyond my expertise but I hope this is helpful;)

Thanks for testing.
    Yes, there seems to be a problem in the playlist. The delete button does nothing. will fix it for the 1.3 Beta

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Does it make a fresh install of MP or is it possible to only replace some core files?

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does it make a fresh install of MP or is it possible to only replace some core files?
    It is a full installer. To make sure the right thing is tested and there is no interference it would be best to test this as a clean install (or upgrade but I think that is only from 1.2 not 1.3 alpha)

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It is a full installer. To make sure the right thing is tested and there is no interference it would be best to test this as a clean install (or upgrade but I think that is only from 1.2 not 1.3 alpha)
    Yeah, normally it can only be done from 1.2 I guess than. Not possible from 1.3a. I'm (was) on 1.3a and wasnt an option in the installer. But I did manage to pull off an unofficial upgrade. See post #4 for the details. This might introduce isues though...

Last edited:

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    A long awaited release.
    All is working perfectly.
    There's only a problems with My Lyrics plugin.
    It always says "no music file playing".
    I will post also in the my lyrics section.
    Thank you
    sdf

diablosv

Portal Member
    November 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Testing, seems to be working fine.
    Been waiting for this for a long time, now I don't need XBMC, WASAPI exclusive mode single handedly fixes the sound quality issue I have with the windows sound mixer molesting the sound before it reaches my receiver!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom