MusicEvolution - a new music plugin for MediaPortal (6 Viewers)

gurken

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    ohh cool , hope to see more soon :)

cul8er

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

I will also be more than happy to help with testing if needed.

best regards
    cul8er

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    I'd like to add my support for this project - really looking forward to see what comes out of it.:D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Suggestions / Ideas to ponder

1. Store MP rating within mp3 file

If you synch your music collection with another media player then that media player can share MP's ratings. If you move/copy/rename your music files, or if you reinstall mediaportal you won't loose all your MP ratings. AFAIK - There are currently two methods for writing rating into the ID3tag (WMP and itunes use different system), mediaportal should write to both. Then watch music share directory and monitor the rating(s) within the ID3tag, if the rating changes. ie previously WMP=3,iTunes=3 becomes WMP=3,iTunes=5 then MP should update rating to 5 in both tags, because obviously 5 is the new rating implemented by another media player (eg your ipod).

2. Better tag support for skins

When browsing music, then need the following tags
    #selected.artist , #selected.albumartist, #selected.album, #selected.thumb
    This will allow full fan art support, currently you can't show the currently selected album artist fanart when you read the album sub level

3. Music Video integration

Link an mp3 file with matching music video file. Option in Music Evolution Config to automatically play music video instead of mp3 file when track with matching video comes up in the playlist and you are currently viewing nowplaying window. When music video has played it goes back to next track in the playlist.

4. Better integration with My Lyrics

When viewing now playing window if lyrics are available then option for lyrics to be displayed in a small section of the screen without leaving the now playing window.

5. Proper support for visualizations

Currently fullscreen viz to music support is a bit buggy.

6. Fireplace mode

Cool looking fireplace visualization while listening to music.

PS - I don't think you should waste time on people with incorrectly tagged music and I don't think you should dilute your efforts/time but adding support for renaming tags/parsing music files/downloading missing tags, there are already a lot of programs available for users to retag their files. I think the plugin should just flag any music files with missing id3tag fields with a warning and a link to programs to correct the tags.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Suggestions / Ideas to ponder

1. Store MP rating within mp3 file

If you synch your music collection with another media player then that media player can share MP's ratings. If you move/copy/rename your music files, or if you reinstall mediaportal you won't loose all your MP ratings. AFAIK - There are currently two methods for writing rating into the ID3tag (WMP and itunes use different system), mediaportal should write to both. Then watch music share directory and monitor the rating(s) within the ID3tag, if the rating changes. ie previously WMP=3,iTunes=3 becomes WMP=3,iTunes=5 then MP should update rating to 5 in both tags, because obviously 5 is the new rating implemented by another media player (eg your ipod).
    Ideally, the plugin would only show the MP rating in the GUI, and adapt the correct rating type automatically for the device in question (if you have setup the plugin to include ratings for external devices), so that no incompatibilities arise within the external device's database architecture. For most "unlocked" devices (i.e. not made by Apple) this sounds plausible, I'll bring it up with the programmers... Hope you agree with this?

2. Better tag support for skins

When browsing music, then need the following tags
    #selected.artist , #selected.albumartist, #selected.album, #selected.thumb
    This will allow full fan art support, currently you can't show the currently selected album artist fanart when you read the album sub level
    One of the most important things about the plugin is usability in the GUI, so this is of course very important to the plugin team as well.

3. Music Video integration

Link an mp3 file with matching music video file. Option in Music Evolution Config to automatically play music video instead of mp3 file when track with matching video comes up in the playlist and you are currently viewing nowplaying window. When music video has played it goes back to next track in the playlist.
    Interesting. We'll just have to see if this can be done (accepted by BASS player).

4. Better integration with My Lyrics

When viewing now playing window if lyrics are available then option for lyrics to be displayed in a small section of the screen without leaving the now playing window.

Lyrics will have it's own database field, so that should be a skinning decision as all of the database fields *will* be available to skinners.

5. Proper support for visualizations
    Currently fullscreen viz to music support is a bit buggy.

Don't know if this is something a plugin will be able to change. I think this is more of a core MediaPortal player question.

6. Fireplace mode

Cool looking fireplace visualization while listening to music.

See above answer.

PS - I don't think you should waste time on people with incorrectly tagged music and I don't think you should dilute your efforts/time but adding support for renaming tags/parsing music files/downloading missing tags, there are already a lot of programs available for users to retag their files. I think the plugin should just flag any music files with missing id3tag fields with a warning and a link to programs to correct the tags.

Being "one of those people" with some music tagged incorrectly (I have now tagged all my music the best I can, but STILL get discrepancies in MediaPortal) I have to disagree. As the plugin won't display data lifted from ID3 tags, but gathered from API databases ID3 tags will only be used to correctly identify the music on an album/release level.

Having warning flags in your beautiful Media PC GUI isn't very pretty, and is not what we wish for. You will however get a pop-up when a mis-match is found so that you directly can:

View the folder/file name of the album to be imported and select a fitting artist/album from a list in the GUI. You can then (optionally) write the ID3 with this updated data, when you are 100% sure that it's the correct information.

I have music that I've ripped years ago, and I shouldn't have to be PUNISHED for not ripping it with the latest software. :D
    Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom