MusicEvolution - a new music plugin for MediaPortal (5 Viewers)

Karmaroms

Portal Member
July 15, 2005
One feature i'm really missing is the ability to control music played via a web interface.
I mean not streaming but remote control. I usualy don't seet in front of my tv to listen music.

heintje

Portal Pro
November 6, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
One feature i'm really missing is the ability to control music played via a web interface.
I mean not streaming but remote control. I usualy don't seet in front of my tv to listen music.

+1

... because I could use a mobile (with display, via web-browser, no iPhone) for controlling my music without switching the TV on !

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    PS - I don't think you should waste time on people with incorrectly tagged music and I don't think you should dilute your efforts/time but adding support for renaming tags/parsing music files/downloading missing tags, there are already a lot of programs available for users to retag their files. I think the plugin should just flag any music files with missing id3tag fields with a warning and a link to programs to correct the tags.

Being "one of those people" with some music tagged incorrectly (I have now tagged all my music the best I can, but STILL get discrepancies in MediaPortal) I have to disagree. As the plugin won't display data lifted from ID3 tags, but gathered from API databases ID3 tags will only be used to correctly identify the music on an album/release level.

Having warning flags in your beautiful Media PC GUI isn't very pretty, and is not what we wish for. You will however get a pop-up when a mis-match is found so that you directly can:

View the folder/file name of the album to be imported and select a fitting artist/album from a list in the GUI. You can then (optionally) write the ID3 with this updated data, when you are 100% sure that it's the correct information.

I have music that I've ripped years ago, and I shouldn't have to be PUNISHED for not ripping it with the latest software. :D
    Emph

Surely there will still be some form of backend importer/configuration to the GUI, i mean they should be flagged in the backend that they are missing details, and the backend should be responsible for editing the details. I don't wont to be bothered by incorrect details while i'm using the front end, or have things cluttered with options for editing files tags etc. If people have incorrect id3tags, i don't think you can rely on their filename format to be perfect either.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Surely there will still be some form of backend importer/configuration to the GUI, i mean they should be flagged in the backend that they are missing details, and the backend should be responsible for editing the details. I don't wont to be bothered by incorrect details while i'm using the front end, or have things cluttered with options for editing files tags etc. If people have incorrect id3tags, i don't think you can rely on their filename format to be perfect either.

I think you misunderstood me. These popups only occur during import of new items. When you setup the plugin the importer will search and match, just like Moving Pictures or MP TV-Series. Pop-ups in the GUI could be optional I guess. They will not appear very often, just when you've added an album/track that can't be matched well enough by the importer.

Emph

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi there!

Thank you very much for your efforts! This is a really great idea. Maybe this design can also give some suggestions for MP2.
    One wish from my side: I'd be glad if you could take touch screen users into account. I'm using a OrigenAE S 21T and it's really great for controlling the music. However, sometimes there are some functions missing like e.g. "back", etc.

Thanks once more and good luck!
    Michael

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi there!

Thank you very much for your efforts! This is a really great idea. Maybe this design can also give some suggestions for MP2.
    One wish from my side: I'd be glad if you could take touch screen users into account. I'm using a OrigenAE S 21T and it's really great for controlling the music. However, sometimes there are some functions missing like e.g. "back", etc.

Thanks once more and good luck!
    Michael

Thanks, hopefully everything will go well with this. Buttons are really up to the skinners though.
    Emph

CaNe|

Portal Member
    December 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello there,

1. Store MP rating within mp3 file

If you synch your music collection with another media player then that media player can share MP's ratings. If you move/copy/rename your music files, or if you reinstall mediaportal you won't loose all your MP ratings. AFAIK - There are currently two methods for writing rating into the ID3tag (WMP and itunes use different system), mediaportal should write to both. Then watch music share directory and monitor the rating(s) within the ID3tag, if the rating changes. ie previously WMP=3,iTunes=3 becomes WMP=3,iTunes=5 then MP should update rating to 5 in both tags, because obviously 5 is the new rating implemented by another media player (eg your ipod).

I just had a look into the ID3v2 defintion thingy and learned that actually there is a field with a value from 1 to 255 used for ratings, so actually it either is some misinterpretation between itunes and WMP or just completely screwed up ;)

Speaking of the syncing, up till now it is of course planed to watch the specified shares and if even one file changes, we map all shares again.

No just kidding, if one changes it will update the informations in the database and be done.

6. Fireplace mode

Cool looking fireplace visualization while listening to music.

This actually could be a problem, unless you could provide a fireplace in form of a visualization, but from what I know from top of my head u just can feed one thing at a time to the mediaportal player... And since you would have a totally seperated video file, like the fireplace, it might get a little tricky.

If we don't succeed in getting the fireplace done, I will talk to emphatic, to buy you a real one ok? :D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    lol sure would love a fireplace, it's summer here right now so it can wait 6 months...

I spent ages trying to find an wmp compatible visualisation that could play a looped video of a fireplace, but could never find such a visualisation. It would of been the perfect way to do the fireplace as mediaportal has built in support for wmp visualisation without adding any hacks etc, it also seems to be able to play wmp visualisations a lot smoother than milkdrop etc...

The only one I found is here

Fireplace Visualization | Enjoy a fireplace while playing your music on Windows Media Center (MCE)

But i don't want to pay USD 18.50 for just a short video loop visualisation. Alas there seems to be no visualisation that lets you just display a looped mpeg video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom