mVids - Music Video Database (3 Viewers)

p13man

Portal Pro
November 20, 2008
Home Country
Interesting. When you downloaded the 0.2 prerelease that I posted a few pages back, did you start from scratch with a new database? Or did you upgrade your existing database?
The short answer is....both.
As I said, there seems to be no problem retrieving data, the database is working well. The problem comes when attempting to view the data. I first thought it was a problem with the skin but the same thing happens with Blue3 Wide, Indigo (and therefore Monochrome) and, most importantly because I want to use it, Mediastream.
(Second thoughts)..it acts as though the first record doesn't contain data so it could be the database, I suppose.
Another thought, being new to MP, there's still a lot for me to understand, but could I be missing something or be using an out of date component in my operating system (XP Service pack 3, up to date according to Windows Update).
I am downloading v02.Beta2 now and will do a fresh install with RC4. I'll segregate just a few videos for it to work on and post the results in a couple of hours or so.

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi jburnette, just trying it out (v0.2) now with a couple of dummy files - seems to work well, for me anyway. Only problem I have is occasionally fanart is not loaded - but scrollng up and down the list control fixes it. I'm unable to reproduce it with a particular set of steps tho. How about that skinners dummy db (with fanart....) now ;). Could you add the common facade views?

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi jburnette, just trying it out (v0.2) now with a couple of dummy files - seems to work well, for me anyway. Only problem I have is occasionally fanart is not loaded - but scrollng up and down the list control fixes it. I'm unable to reproduce it with a particular set of steps tho. How about that skinners dummy db (with fanart....) now ;). Could you add the common facade views?

The fanart is loaded into memory on a background thread, so it's possible that it won't show initially if it hasn't yet been loaded. They are loaded sequentially based on the the items in the listview. I did this to avoid any sluggishness when scrolling through the listview when it first loads and to avoid having to load each image on selection of an item. I'll get that dummy database and thumbs to you in a few minutes.

I was next going to add the other views (filmstrip, etc) but that won't be completed for a little while. It will be listbox only in the final build of 0.2.

p13man

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    feedback

Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, but with the new beta, none of the videos load at all. The structure I'm using is root folder\name of artist\name of video cd or Dvd (if there is one)\artist-videotitle.mpg.
    The folder mask is \%artist%\%tag%\
    When I update database nothing is loaded.
    Am I doing anything wrong?

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    Your mask should not have a \ at the beginning. I should be checking them when they're added to remove anything like that. Try it without that. If the problem persists, post your log as well.

p13man

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Database seems to have loaded correctly following your advice. However, when opening mvids page I get an error message, "Media Portal has encountered an error and will have to close....." BUT if I ignore this message abd dont click the OK box, I can see the list of artists on the left side of the page. Clicking on these shows the videos in the respective folders and they play (some have sound only but I guess thats a codec problem and unrelated to this issue). The message box stays there however and if I try to leave mvids, MP crashes. Logs attached. Seems so near but not quite there yet.

jburnette

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Kentucky
    Home Country
    Database seems to have loaded correctly following your advice. However, when opening mvids page I get an error message, "Media Portal has encountered an error and will have to close....." BUT if I ignore this message abd dont click the OK box, I can see the list of artists on the left side of the page. Clicking on these shows the videos in the respective folders and they play (some have sound only but I guess thats a codec problem and unrelated to this issue). The message box stays there however and if I try to leave mvids, MP crashes. Logs attached. Seems so near but not quite there yet.

OK, thanks for the logs. Try this build out - it should fix the error that was thrown. Just drop the mvids.dll in place of the old one. You don't need to rescan or anything.

What I think happened is that after an unsuccessful attempt at loading the plugin's window once before, the "last artist" was saved as null instead of an actual artist name. That caused the plugin to try to load that artist's videos and do some math with the video count (which was 0, leading to the division by 0 error in your logs). Stupid mistake on my part, but glad you found it. Thanks.

p13man

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Success

--------------------------:D :D :D :D :D---------------------------------
    Hopefully the Smilies say it all (I normally think they're silly but I'm so pleased I don't care!)
    I've just tested this latest with my girlfriend who speaks no English but within 2 minutes she found her way around easily.
    She's been at it for over an hour and nothing is broken so it looks like you've just made another friend.
    :D
    Jim & Seng
    Quick PS - Some of the vids are ripped from old vcds (.mpg) and it's these that have only sound, no video. Which setting in the MP config screen will I need to tweak?
    PPS I'm keeping a notebook of my MP installation with the idea of offering it for download - not so much an idiots guide, more a non-technical installation/configuration handbook for people like me with very little or no technical background. I'll be sure to say nice things about you.

gamestar

Portal Member
    March 17, 2008
    I having trouble getting mvids to see my videos. I keep getting "found 0 files" when I update the database. All of my videos are in DVD format using the standard DVD structure. I have a directory called "My Music Videos" that contains a directory for each video called "<artist> - <title>". For example, the files for the video Back in Black by ACDC are:

My Music Videos\ACDC - Back in Black\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
    My Music Videos\ACDC - Back in Black\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
    My Music Videos\ACDC - Back in Black\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
    My Music Videos\ACDC - Back in Black\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    My Music Videos\ACDC - Back in Black\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

Will the plugin work with videos in this format or do I need to convert them to a single file format like mpg or mkv? If it will work like this, can someone help me out with setting up the path and mask?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom