My Films 6.0 beta released ! (19.10.2012) - V6.0.0.2616 (MP 1.2.x & 1.3 alpha) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Dadeo. I have to admit I haven't had a chance to test MyFilms much lately so I wasn't sure exactly what might have changed but I saw from vrm42's post that the "Don't import file in interactive mode" is still there and it reminded me of our previous discussion ;)
    I'd be happy to check it once you've had a chance to rewrite, just give me a shout :)
    SHOUT ;) I implemented as many of your suggestions as I could on the AMC Updater wiki page under Importer Options Let me know if that is any better. Of course the major improvement will come when we rework the AMCU GUI to use those use cases instead of all those different options!

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SHOUT ;) I implemented as many of your suggestions as I could on the AMC Updater wiki page under Importer Options Let me know if that is any better. Of course the major improvement will come when we rework the AMCU GUI to use those use cases instead of all those different options!

Hi,

I'll be honest, the table still makes my head spin with all the double-negatives. Would it be a lot of work to simply reverse the logic of those options (i.e. change "Don't ask if no match" to "ask if no match" and "Don't Import in Interactive mode" to "Import in Interactive Mode" until you have time to do the major rework of the GUI? I still can't get my head around what "Don't Import in Interactive Mode" actually means though, as it's shown as enabled for "Silent (don't import if no match)" and "Interactive (always ask)" and disabled for the other two :confused:

Regarding the descriptions underneath the table, the second one "Silent Mode (import media if no match)" differs slightly from the table which says "Silent Mode (import only media if no match)". I think it would be less confusing if they both just said "Silent Mode (import if no match)" as it should be obvious that it's not going to scrape data from an online database if there's no match and it explains in detail ("instead it will import only the file name, title and media info.") what data it will use underneath anyway. It might even be clearer to change "import" to "add" (everywhere, not just for this setting) as users might better understand that it's adding new files found to the database, rather than importing them to it. One tends to think of importing as converting a file from another, incompatible, format whereas I don't really think that creating new entries in the database for new files and then automatically scraping data for those entries from whatever source really fits that description.

This second option also has "Don't ask if no match" disabled, which doesn't make any sense as that suggests it will ask if no match is found, yet it's Silent Mode and the description says it won't ask :confused:

The "Interactive (only ask if no match)" is also confusing as that has the "Don't ask if no match" setting enabled which is the opposite of the description :confused:

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the feedback doveman - sorry it wasn't much help for you.
    Would it be a lot of work to simply reverse the logic of those options (i.e. change "Don't ask if no match" to "ask if no match" and "Don't Import in Interactive mode" to "Import in Interactive Mode" until you have time to do the major rework of the GUI?
    Not so much a lot of work, but imo it needs to match the GUI, or how do you tell which options to set?
    From your feedback, I really don't think it is worth trying to 'fix' something that doesn't work at all. I think we need to take an entirely different approach. Perhaps the best solution would be for you to write a 'user guide', which you can even add as a draft to your Wiki user page (press My Page on wiki menu) and I can help integrate that into the My Films wiki?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback doveman - sorry it wasn't much help for you.
    Would it be a lot of work to simply reverse the logic of those options (i.e. change "Don't ask if no match" to "ask if no match" and "Don't Import in Interactive mode" to "Import in Interactive Mode" until you have time to do the major rework of the GUI?
    Not so much a lot of work, but imo it needs to match the GUI, or how do you tell which options to set?

Sorry that's what I meant, change the GUI settings to eliminate the double negatives and then change the Wiki to reflect this.

From your feedback, I really don't think it is worth trying to 'fix' something that doesn't work at all. I think we need to take an entirely different approach. Perhaps the best solution would be for you to write a 'user guide', which you can even add as a draft to your Wiki user page (press My Page on wiki menu) and I can help integrate that into the My Films wiki?

It's going to be a bit hard for me to write a user guide when the options don't make any sense to me I'm afraid ;) If there are mistakes in the Wiki that I've identified, then it's probably easiest for you to correct them but if there's not, then there seems to be something wrong with the logic in MyFilms/AMCU.

If you can fix the GUI to make it logical or when you do a major revamp of it, then I'm sure I could write a short guide but you probably wouldn't need me to then as it would be much clearer and simpler to understand :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I did start a discussion with Guzzi about 'Don't import in interactive mode' as I am also not clear how it applies, but I remembered I had not replied to your post and forgot we had not solved that yet. :oops: - but yes that part I will fix in Wiki. I'll double check with Guzzi but afaik the other options are correct (though I agree confusing!)

Yes, we will fix the GUI and yes then the Wiki will be much clearer and may not require a 'user guide', though I am sure I can find another way for you to help out :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom