My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmask

Portal Member
February 20, 2006
CUE playlist for single image flac/ape files support

thank you!

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey SteveV,

thanks for your great work.

One very little suggestion: In the "Now Playing View" my TV don't show the left button because of TV-Overlay. Could you get all the buttons slightly more right so I could see all buttons? (Think I am not the only one with this problem?!?)

Regards,

Paloema

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Hopefully on my bike.
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Something I'd like to see in My Music is something that I think WMP does very well and that's the organisation of the Artists database.

In particular, the word "The" is not considered in sorting. Therefore, for example, The Jam would come under J, not T, The Pixies under P, not T.

Another thing is the interpretation of multiple Artists in a tag. I have a load of Eminem variances in my Artists list due to the amount of collaboration he carries out in an album. If the tags are delimited correctly (I think it's a semi colon) then WMP can interpret each of the Artists seperately and only list them once accordingly.

e.g. Eminem Encore Disc 1, Track 3 - Never Enough is tagged 50 Cent;Eminem;Nate Dogg in the Artist tag. The result in WMP is I still have just Eminem in the Artist list, along with seperate entries for Nate Dogg and 50 Cent. Media Portal interprets this as a different artist altogether, therefore I have another Artist called 50 Cent;Eminem;Nate Dogg. Looks a bit untidy and it also means tracks can be missed while "surfing" around your music collection.

My tuppence worth :wink:

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    While playing some music, being in Artist View, pressing Play on an Album, thus being in Now Playing view, I entered a DVD in my drive. My setting is set to "ask about play DVD". Music went on, popup window came up with choice "Yes / No", but then appeared at the bottom left the Album Thumbnail/Visualisations window and track name display as in the "old" Music Play window.

I have previous displayed or played titles showing up as well and strange things going on with the icon that appears in the lower left window.

My Videos is doing much worse things though. Vanishing icons while using IMDB, loading the wrong icon, disappearing backgrounds... and at least one lockup. I really don't want to write up a bug report.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Tech Geek said:
    Ok, I like the ability to PLAY an entire folder... was actually ready to suggest the idea until I read through this thread. Now... what keystroke shortcut do I use for the play button on the remote. I have the latest CVS version installed and using ENTER doesn't work. Or wasn't it in CVS yet?

As jawbroken indicated the "p" key (asuming you haven't changed keymapping options) should play the selected item. Unfortunately, It's broken in version currently in cvs. I've found the problem and fixed it--I should be able to check it into cvs later today.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    LordMessi said:
    1. Do a shortcut button for the now playing screen - for the MCE remote I propose the blue button - but what ever, just a shortcut button.

I'll have a look at it.

2. Have two settings on the now playing screen...the first is the one that's already there now. The second one would be used when you play an album either MP3 or CD - i'll try to show you with a mockup...So you should be able to switch to this screen - and the dot represents the current playing (perhaps another icon would be better 8) )

Doing this for a single album should be easy but it becomes much more complicated when you play an entire artist folder that contains multiple albums. At present all of the album tracks are all added to the play list so there's really no link to an album any more. I could look at the album id's for the tracks and try grouping them that way. But what happens when you only add several tracks from an album? I need to think about this one a bit more.

3. Could we store the album info locally - instead of looking it up each time?

If you're asking about cd's I was thinking the same thing; Look it up once and add the album to the music db along with its DiskID. Next time the cd is played lookup the DiskID in the db. If you're asking about something different please provide more info.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Furetto said:
    Must be one of my first posts. Motivated by HUGE appreciation of the changes you made to MyMusic. MediaPortal suddenly became much more useful to me with these changes.

Main reason, feedback on the Playing Now window, which I had been waiting for without knowing it. I think I found a minor glitch.

While playing some music, being in Artist View, pressing Play on an Album, thus being in Now Playing view, I entered a DVD in my drive. My setting is set to "ask about play DVD". Music went on, popup window came up with choice "Yes / No", but then appeared at the bottom left the Album Thumbnail/Visualisations window and track name display as in the "old" Music Play window.

I think I've found and fixed the problem but need to do a little more testing. Hopefully it'll make it into CVS later today.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    paloema said:
    Hey SteveV,

thanks for your great work.

One very little suggestion: In the "Now Playing View" my TV don't show the left button because of TV-Overlay. Could you get all the buttons slightly more right so I could see all buttons? (Think I am not the only one with this problem?!?)

Regards,

Paloema

I'll take a look at it.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    NorthernJohn said:
    Something I'd like to see in My Music is something that I think WMP does very well and that's the organisation of the Artists database.

In particular, the word "The" is not considered in sorting. Therefore, for example, The Jam would come under J, not T, The Pixies under P, not T.

Another thing is the interpretation of multiple Artists in a tag. I have a load of Eminem variances in my Artists list due to the amount of collaboration he carries out in an album. If the tags are delimited correctly (I think it's a semi colon) then WMP can interpret each of the Artists seperately and only list them once accordingly.

e.g. Eminem Encore Disc 1, Track 3 - Never Enough is tagged 50 Cent;Eminem;Nate Dogg in the Artist tag. The result in WMP is I still have just Eminem in the Artist list, along with seperate entries for Nate Dogg and 50 Cent. Media Portal interprets this as a different artist altogether, therefore I have another Artist called 50 Cent;Eminem;Nate Dogg. Looks a bit untidy and it also means tracks can be missed while "surfing" around your music collection.

My tuppence worth :wink:

The "The" issue is something that's bugged me for a while and should be easy enough for us to change. I'll add both items to the to-do list.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom