My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
hey SteveV - got a quick feature request - the new options to 'play now' are excellent, but for me it would be more useful if it jumped to the playlist screen instead of the now playing screen. could you put a choice somewhere in the config app to select between jumping to now playing or playlist? :)

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    hwahrmann said:
    Hi Steve,

tried out the new "Play" feature on an artist and found a problem.

I was on artist "Jim Croce" that has an album "The Collection".
    Pressed "p" with "Jim Croce" selected and got the now playing screen with the first song of artist "ABBA" album "The Collection" playing.

First i didn't notice what's going on, but then i saw that the album name is identical.
    Did an sql query on the music db and found that "Jim Croce" had the album id of "ABBA - The Collection" assigned.

Error is happening when building the Music DB from the shares and the AddAlbum method is looking up the Album Cache. It is only looking for the name of the album and not the artist.
    Just fixing it and will post a patch soon.

regards,

Helmut

EDIT: Patch #1438582 submitted on SF

Thanks for the patch. It has been applied and commited to CVS.

Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    EqualRightsForWerewolves said:
    hey SteveV - got a quick feature request - the new options to 'play now' are excellent, but for me it would be more useful if it jumped to the playlist screen instead of the now playing screen. could you put a choice somewhere in the config app to select between jumping to now playing or playlist? :)

I'll add it to the list.

prat

February 26, 2006
    is it possible to play mp3 with cue playlists?

Yesterday i updated to RC2, and then to the latest CVS-Release. While i play mp3's my cpu usage is growing up to 90% and shrinking again to 5%. up and down permanently. MPlayer9 or 10 is installed.

With RC1 i had 5-10% all the time.

All the other stuff is working fine (ok, i use an external player for video files)

Config:
    Sempron 3000
    512 MB Ram
    CVS 25.02.06

propably i have to wait for the final 2.0 with a completely fresh install.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    SteveV said:

I'll add it to the list.

Thanks for adding this into CVS Steve! However, i've noticed a small problem with it - it works fine when in 'shares' view, but in any database view it's ignoring this setting and jumping to the now playing screen.

additionally, this change: "Bug fix--applied SF patch 1438582 (hwahrmann). Database scan could result in tracks being added to wrong album id when duplicate album names by different artists exist in the database" has caused a problem with compilation albums. now when i scan music, any album with more than one artist is getting seperated into different albums, and appearing multiple times under 'albums' view.

i think the best way to get around this is to add support for the 'album artist' (or 'ALBUMARTIST' or 'AlbumArtist') tag. imo this is one of the few things wmp/mce does right :p . For compilations this tag is set to "Various Artists", and the individual tracks still have their artists stored in the normal artist tag. It also has the advantage of being able to sort albums more neatly when they have a lot of tracks with artist tags like 'The Herd (feat. Jane Tyrell)' instead of just 'The Herd' - you can leave all the artist tags with the extra credits but just set the album artist tag as 'The Herd', so these tracks still get grouped together correctly.

I've explained that really badly, but let me know if you get my point :p

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    SteveV said:

I'll add it to the list.

Thanks for adding this into CVS Steve! However, i've noticed a small problem with it - it works fine when in 'shares' view, but in any database view it's ignoring this setting and jumping to the now playing screen.

additionally, this change: "Bug fix--applied SF patch 1438582 (hwahrmann). Database scan could result in tracks being added to wrong album id when duplicate album names by different artists exist in the database" has caused a problem with compilation albums. now when i scan music, any album with more than one artist is getting seperated into different albums, and appearing multiple times under 'albums' view.

i think the best way to get around this is to add support for the 'album artist' (or 'ALBUMARTIST' or 'AlbumArtist') tag. imo this is one of the few things wmp/mce does right :p . For compilations this tag is set to "Various Artists", and the individual tracks still have their artists stored in the normal artist tag. It also has the advantage of being able to sort albums more neatly when they have a lot of tracks with artist tags like 'The Herd (feat. Jane Tyrell)' instead of just 'The Herd' - you can leave all the artist tags with the extra credits but just set the album artist tag as 'The Herd', so these tracks still get grouped together correctly.

I've explained that really badly, but let me know if you get my point :p

Crap, I forgot to include the changes to the database views portion of the code. I'll see if I can get this in before tomorrow's snapshot.

Regarding the compilation album issue; this has existed for a while but was probably masked until hwahrmann's patch. There's no doubt that we need to do some more work in this area. Biggest issue right now is free time. I'll keep the 'ALBUMARTIST' tag in mind.

Thanks for the report.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the improvements you have made to My Music - its terrific, and very much appreciated... :D

I noticed one odd thing - when I first go into My Music, select an album and press Play, the "Now playing" window appears and the "length of the track time" on the right-hand side just displays 00:00. And it will stay like that for all subsequent tracks.

However, if I go back and select "Switch view" to "Now playing", the track duration is displayed correctly.... :?

Cheers,

Taipan

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Taipan said:
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the improvements you have made to My Music - its terrific, and very much appreciated... :D

I noticed one odd thing - when I first go into My Music, select an album and press Play, the "Now playing" window appears and the "length of the track time" on the right-hand side just displays 00:00. And it will stay like that for all subsequent tracks.

However, if I go back and select "Switch view" to "Now playing", the track duration is displayed correctly.... :?

Cheers,

Taipan

Same here... :)

jslinnha

Portal Member
    January 25, 2006
    Cross in Hand, UK
    Cover Art Grabber

Hi Steve,

Have been playing with the cover art grabber, nice work.

I have at the last count 991 albums in my collection. I spent an age getting all the artwork embedded using iTunes. Would it be possible to modify the Grabber so that it uses the embedded artwork if found.

I think at present it finds the embeded artwork as it is displayed in the Grabber page. However the embedded artwork never appears when browsing mymusic.

I think this is down to how the music database names the files when extracting the artwork during a scan. It seems Grabber names the files <artist> - <album>.jpg however the database scan (in config) names them <album>.jpg

Would it be possible to align these to use one or the other method. Probably easier to use the Grabbers <artist> - <album>.jpg as MyMusic obviously supports this.

Just to finish, you have done a fantastic job over the past couple of months, please keep it up. :D

Cheers,

Jon

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom