My Music - need your thoughts on how to improve and enhance (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, as like someone said before, this thread is way too big and there's no thread searching feature, so ignore this if its a repeat.

To improve the responsiveness of the my music loading speed, could you use threading/backgroundworker to load the listitems? That is, load the UI first, then using threading, progressively load the list of artists, albums, songs etc. This won't improve the actual speed, but it will improve the 'perceived' speed.

Sam

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This won't improve the actual speed, but it will improve the 'perceived' speed.
    In theory I'd agree and support this idea but I think it will introduce instability and a long bug hunting phase, too..

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    samuel337 said:
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, as like someone said before, this thread is way too big and there's no thread searching feature, so ignore this if its a repeat.

To improve the responsiveness of the my music loading speed, could you use threading/backgroundworker to load the listitems? That is, load the UI first, then using threading, progressively load the list of artists, albums, songs etc. This won't improve the actual speed, but it will improve the 'perceived' speed.

Sam

It's already on the list but won't be looked at until after 0.2 final.

Steve

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Hopefully on my bike.
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We definetely need seamless playing. CD's like Tubular Bells 2003 are not supposed to have breaks :D
    Agreed.

I've had to merge my Pink Floyd albums' tracks to 1 mp3 per album. Good for actually listening to the whole album which is most of the time, but not if you want to locate a particular track for whatever reason (usually for joining in with the guitar... badly I should add :D ).

However, sometimes the mp3 merge process will produce a click or hiccup which is just as annoying.

mrkeked

Portal Member
    April 4, 2006
    Hey, Sam suggested that I move a couple of my concerns to this topic. The second one might be a bug:

- When I am browsing inside a folder with several songs and choose a particular file with the "play now" option, the whole folder gets added to the playlist, instead of just the one song. This is a bit annoying when you want to build a playlist and start playing the first song at the same time.

- If I have a number of songs in the current playlist and use the "play next" option more than once, the songs get added as expected, BUT if I only have one song in the playlist and use the play next more than once, it only adds the last song that i chose under the "play next".

I know that on both counts you can use the "add to playlist" function instead and properly do what I described, still...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah - with your first "issue" I'd recommend to use the "add to playlist" function instead.

Most people I know like the "feature" that you can just play a file now and especially with "jump to playlist" enabled you can immediately sort which album tracks you'd want to listen to next.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    mrkeked: Hey, Sam suggested that I move a couple of my concerns to this topic. The second one might be a bug:

- When I am browsing inside a folder with several songs and choose a particular file with the "play now" option, the whole folder gets added to the playlist, instead of just the one song. This is a bit annoying when you want to build a playlist and start playing the first song at the same time.

- If I have a number of songs in the current playlist and use the "play next" option more than once, the songs get added as expected, BUT if I only have one song in the playlist and use the play next more than once, it only adds the last song that i chose under the "play next".

I know that on both counts you can use the "add to playlist" function instead and properly do what I described, still...

Fixed and commited to SVN--should be in the next build.

Steve

mrkeked

Portal Member
    April 4, 2006
    rtv: Most people I know like the "feature" that you can just play a file now and especially with "jump to playlist" enabled you can immediately sort which album tracks you'd want to listen to next.

Agreed, but if you want to listen to a whole folder that you'll sort out later, you use the "play now" over the folder. If, for example, you have a folder full of unsorted mp3 and do the "play now" on just one file, the whole thing gets added. If, on he other hand, you wanted to listen to everything, you wouldn't go inside the folder to take a look, you'd just do the "play now" on the folder right away.

Well it's just the way i'd use it anyway :wink: . Having fun with the "add to playlist" instead.
    8)

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    mrkeked said:
    rtv: Most people I know like the "feature" that you can just play a file now and especially with "jump to playlist" enabled you can immediately sort which album tracks you'd want to listen to next.

Agreed, but if you want to listen to a whole folder that you'll sort out later, you use the "play now" over the folder. If, for example, you have a folder full of unsorted mp3 and do the "play now" on just one file, the whole thing gets added. If, on he other hand, you wanted to listen to everything, you wouldn't go inside the folder to take a look, you'd just do the "play now" on the folder right away.

Well it's just the way i'd use it anyway :wink: . Having fun with the "add to playlist" instead.
    8)

Not sure if you saw my previous post but I have fixed the problems you reported and the changes should be in the latest build.

Steve

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom