gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    this sounds quite wonderful :D
    The feature i missed most was groups for the radio channels like in myTV but the other ideas are good also.
    Looking forward to test the new plugin.
    If you need help in coding please contact.
    Although i don't have much time at the moment besides work i would be pleased to help here and there to make your excellent ideas reality

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Although i don't have much time at the moment besides work i would be pleased to help here and there to make your excellent ideas reality

If you have any C#-skills, I could for sure use your (or anyone elses) help :)

I'm in no way experienced in C# and I do struggle a bit every now and then with basic functions.
    One of the things I really would like was to have a generel review of my classes with regards to efficiency and performance. I really want to optimize cpu-hog'ing, memory usage etc.

And one specific thing that annoys me now is the way to proper implement the "Bass.dll"-extension (decided to use Bass for mp3/aacp/etc.-decoding functions).

I have no problems at all when I'm using the Bass.Net-API, but that requires each user to have the "Bass.Net.dll"-file present on his/her system to use my code and also causes an extra layer. I would like to avoid this (as I believe this is not very optimizing for performance) and go directly to the Bass.dll-file within the C#-code. However - this is causing me all sorts of problems. If you or anyone else can help me here or point me to a C#-example of bass.dll-implementation (without using the Bass.Net-API), please do so.

Regards

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you want me to make radio logos, just PM me.

That would be very great. At this point I can't give you specifications on the format of the logos (or preferred format, I should say), but I do need them BIG as they are displayed in a large size in one of my screens.

So you might as well start collecting big resolution radio logos :)

I'll let you know, as soon as I know what dimensions I'll show at the different screens.

Regards

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

I wrote this post "MP3 Radio Search - RADIO TRACKER".....Here is a copy of what I wrote, but no-one replied ;0)

---------------------------------->>

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....What a great piece of software MP is.

Onto my suggestion. Someone showed me this website and software.

http://radiotracker.com/en/radiotrac...ffiliate=70323

It allows you to enter a music search and it will search an online radio list of 14000 stations and return anything that matches. It will then record the stream as an MP3 (if you want) and you can queue up a wishlist and leave it building your music collection from online station broadcasts!!! I immediately thought what a great feature/plugin for MP to have. What do you think? Anyone want this feature and is it possible to do?

I'm afraid I have no programming skills what-so-ever, otherwise I would start working on this right away.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am quite familiar with C# as i do some projects in c# at the moment for the job. So just pm me. But i have no experience with the BASS engine.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Request: I hvae "tripple-play" (IP TV, IP Radio and Internett in TP-cable).

Radiostations are UDP-streams (as are TV). Any chance of getting them played (no problem when using VLC).

Also: Could you have a look here? Trying to gathet IP-radio stations.

Lars Vinter

Portal Member
    January 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi there:

sleepycol and Spragleknas: I've added your new requests to the original post - don't know if they are easy or difficult yet, but I will for sure look into them.

Although I'm not posting here everyday, I can ensure everybody looking at the thread that I'm working hard to make this plugin reality. Funny thing to learn C# and .Net-programming. Some things annoy me much and other stuff is really cool with this language. However, I do feel that my applications (or maybe it's the framework) use WAY too much memory and are to heavy on the CPU (compared to the same application written in c++. Anyway, that's another discussion. First, I'll write this plugin and then I'll have to look at how to optimize it.

To let you know what the progress is right now, I can tell you that my dummy-application (where the GUI is windows.forms rather than the MP-gui) now is able to play streaming internet radio (mp3 streams so far). (I even get the metadata showing nicely :D )

I've been working on the application design to ensure extremely low latency zapping when switching channels. I think, I finally nailed it in a good way. This is what my tests show (performed on a Wireless-LAN connected, P3 900 Mhz computer):

Channel switching (zapping) times:

• When using "+" and "-" on the remote the time is a measured 10 ms (~ 0.01 seconds) (using prebuffering - next and previous streams will always be prebuffered).

• When entering channel preset number directly or using the "channel pop up" to select a new channel to listen to, the switching time is a measured 720 ms (~ 0.7 seconds) (in this case next stream was not prebuffered).

Both ways work perfect without any skipping or dropouts afterwards.

I think those changing times are good and a big improvement compared to what we have right now.
    The 0.01 seconds will probably be even better on a faster computer, but at those numbers it doesn't even matter at all. However, I'm not completely satisfied with the 0.7 seconds. The biggest part of this latency is due to the time it takes for the socket to connect to the server. Probably this time will be better if my computer were hooked to the WAN by a wired connection and not this wireless connection I'm testing on, but I still believe this should be better.

So my question is: Anyone know of what I should expect of performance when trying to establish a socket connection? Any way to improve this (maybe special parameters to use etc.)? Any idea in trying to rewrite the socket-methods? Any idea in going more low level?

Oh yeah, and probably the times will be lower if I disable all the log-writing I'm doing now (almost for each line of code). So expect the measured times above to be the worst case scenario.

Btw: Gemx is helping me with some very basic functionality (getting user configuration from options screen) now. This is a big help! :D

Regards

eloo

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Sound great Lars, I check the thread once in a while so glad to see your making progress. Look forward to testing!

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I hope that when this is ready, this will replace the existing my radio part in Mediaportal and not be another "side"-plugin that you can install...I just think it is best to keep everything as simple as possible, and people should work together on the same things and not have two different plugins that are actually doing the same thing....

Oh yah, keep up the GOOD work!!

THDBASED

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom