My Pictures also includes videos. (2 Viewers)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As a counterpoint to those who are requesting that My Pictures play the video files from your camera, I would request that it not. In terms of user interface design, we have My Pictures and My Videos. One plays pictures and the other plays videos. This keeps it logical and simple.

As a user of a Media PC, you have to expect to keep your media tidy and keep your files where they should be.

Of course, the other possibility, which Windows Vista MCE uses, is to define folders containing media, and the program decides which are which - the movie files show up in videos, the pictures in pictures. I guess in terms of user interface and ease of setup, this is possibly the best solution.

What happens if you add your pictures share to My Videos? Does it play the videos and ignore the pictures? If so, this is probably the ideal solution for the original poster.

Mark

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, then let's call it "My digital camera", all we want is to be able to do the same as the Slideshow function in the camera.

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Of course, the other possibility, which Windows Vista MCE uses, is to define folders containing media, and the program decides which are which - the movie files show up in videos, the pictures in pictures. I guess in terms of user interface and ease of setup, this is possibly the best solution.

This would be stupid, all my video folders contains albumart and/or folder.jpg..

I like it the way it is, there not much work adding the same folder to both video and pictures, and then just jump to my videos when you want to watch a film. I'm ok with the file being playable from my pictures, but I don't think it will be added in svn for a long time.

all in all I agree with you :)

Chrjensen

March 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I also see the ability to play videos under My Pictures as a great benifit! I think by far the most people use this function to display stuff recorded with their digital camera, and these offen include moving pictures. I dont know if the item has to be renamed "my digital camera", but it would be sweet to have it all in the same folder.

gemx, i tried your plugin, but i cant seem to make it work. It wont show up in the plugin menu.

BR/

-chr.

leugim

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    I must agree with those who say that there are situations were pictures and videos must be in the same folder. It’s stupid to see them separately. Most of the times they must be seeing in context, a picture following a video, or vice-versa, especially when we are talking about files from personal cameras.

My solution, and it work before MediaPortal 1.0, was to use the MyPrograms plugin. I could browse the entire content of a folder, and access both pictures and videos. Now, it the new version, I can still do that, but it opens the default XP viewer as an external application, and … that’s horrible :(

Can someone configure de MyPrograms plugin to use the internal viewers of MediaPortal when access the files? I try several configurations but none of them work like before. Or maybe suggest an external viewer for both pictures and videos that could be open in full screen and hidden.

:D

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    gemx, i tried your plugin, but i cant seem to make it work. It wont show up in the plugin menu.

-chr.

That's right. It replaces the original MyPictures.
    So you only see MyPictures as before.
    The only difference is in Configuration in the plugins tab, there you see "MyPictures (extended)".
    Just did a quick test with a recent SVN and it still seems to work :)

Topstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2008
    Arnemuiden
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I Agree with Leugim, Since I upload my photo's and movies from my camera to a date based directory, it would be handy to view the pictures and movies together.

Why not rename My Pictures to My Camera? Everyone is using "My Pictures" to view their self made pictures isn't it? :mad:

Cheers,

Topstar

byfly

Portal Member
    January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

-chr.

That's right. It replaces the original MyPictures.
    So you only see MyPictures as before.
    The only difference is in Configuration in the plugins tab, there you see "MyPictures (extended)".
    Just did a quick test with a recent SVN and it still seems to work :)

I tried to use the extended plugin, but it did not seem to work.

I do see it in the plugins, and I do see the video files in the MP mypictures picture list.
    When I select the video to play, MP just gives me a blank screen and no video.
    I assume that MP is trying to open the video with its internal player, since I'm not using any external players.
    I can play the selected video in normal Windows enviroment, but not in MP.

Any ideas? Could this be a codec issue? :confused:

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please post your Mediaportal.log file

Habi

January 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried to use the extended plugin, but it did not seem to work.

I do see it in the plugins, and I do see the video files in the MP mypictures picture list.
    When I select the video to play, MP just gives me a blank screen and no video.
    I assume that MP is trying to open the video with its internal player, since I'm not using any external players.
    I can play the selected video in normal Windows enviroment, but not in MP.

Any ideas? Could this be a codec issue? :confused:

Same to me. It did not work!

Any solutions?

Habi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom