MY TV Performace boost in MCE/XP w/ SP2 (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi there

For a long time i have been having major problems with MP's MY TV. Whenever i ran it the bda graph(DVB-T card) would not work, or after a few channel changes would slow down the computer so much, that it would either crash MP, or the picture was worse than a webcam image :p

I discovered a symptom of my PC's distress, WMIPRVSE.EXE and DLLHOST.DLL were constantly being run in the background(in task manager, processes). This caused bda graphs to not be built, break down after a while or completely crash MP.

I went to Windows services and disabled the following service : Windows Management Instrumentation. Immediately the performace boost i saw was huge!

Channels change more quickly, the picture quality between channels stay high, MY TV has not crashed yet!!! Better yet i never see WMIPRVSE.EXE or DLLHOST.DLL

The only problem is that without WMI, u loose "Security Center" and ICS(Internet Connection Sharing)...i dont actually know if they are really affected, as i dont have an internet connection to my HTPC.

Enjoy !

A

Anonymous

Damn man I was about to celebrate when I read the ICS bit. I remotely access PC form other room, share all the content with 2 other computers and get weather/imdb/tvguide via internet connection. Oh well cheers for the tip anyway

nCo

April 9, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Windows Management Instrumentation Service

Microsoft Service Description:

Provides a common interface and object model to access management information about operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Is this service needed? Yes
    Recommended Setting: Automatic

jcee

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2004
    nCo said:
    Windows Management Instrumentation Service

Microsoft Service Description:

Provides a common interface and object model to access management information about operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Is this service needed? Yes
    Recommended Setting: Automatic

So what does this mean? turn it of or leave it on? Is there any other fix?

BTW: Which services could (should) be stopped on a HTPC to have better performance

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    LastMar said:
    vbap said:
    SiLenTYL said:
    ... as i dont have an internet connection to my HTPC.

So, how do you update your EPG?

My guess would be he doesn't. TV Guide is still printed...

...or maybe it's updated even directly from the DVB stream :)

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Doh! :oops:

I had read the recent post about how DVB EPG works, but when I found out it doesn't update automatically, I switched off...!

Yes, using the EPG from the DVB stream would be ideal, once there is a way to automatically upate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom