myVoice Open Beta (2 Viewers)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    it may be a tiny file, but you also have to install the MS speech engine, which could never be described as tiny.

I'm pretty sure at this stage that the MS engine is only English, although you may be able to find other languages supported. I've never looked though, so can't say for sure.

Tazman

Portal Pro
    May 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hey..

Sounds like a really fun plugin... just installed it but nothing happens inside MP... what kan be wrong?

i have tried to say "computer" as i says in desciption but no luck...

ZetaVu

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Ok, another toy I need to start playing with.

I was thinking of trying it with some kind of wireless mic that I could switch on and off, at least as a start.

bakra

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was trying it here with a Bluetooth headset. Had the headset working on the pc as a mic before, but today I can't get it working.

Tazman: what did you figure out. I have the same problem here: when I say "computer" nothing happens

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    I was trying it here with a Bluetooth headset. Had the headset working on the pc as a mic before, but today I can't get it working.

@Tazman: what did you figure out. I have the same problem here: when I say "computer" nothing happens

checklist:

• is every part of the plugin placed where it should be?
    • Is the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 installed
    • Did you created a profile?
    • did you trained the profile [at least a bit]
    • is the engine itself working in the apprpriate function in system control repectlivly with the examples that were shipped with the SDK [should be to find in your startmenu]
    • what does the log say? [as well the mediaportal.log as the myvoice.log]??

xurr

Portal Pro
    May 3, 2006
    Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    BlueTooth mic

I use a BlueTooth headset and it does work with MP.

Every time I connect it to the PC I have to change the settings in "Sounds and Audio devices" and "Speech" so that the BT mic is used for audio input the the soundcard is used for audio output.

Also, be sure the BT headset is connected before starting MP, disconnecting and connecting the microphone doesn't seem to be supported very well (probably because of the change in settings described above).

Just an idea: could it be possible to show in some way inside the MP interface (eg. something like the "Rec" icon or a small popup) when the audio interface is enabled (ie. after a "Computer" speech is detected)? A visual feedback of the command identified (or not identified!) by the speak engine could also be useful, in order to understand why a command is misinterpreted.

booyakasha

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2005
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Sorry I haven't been around, but I was on vacation in Germany, and didn't have web access. Thanks to those who posted answers.

Just an idea: could it be possible to show in some way inside the MP interface (eg. something like the "Rec" icon or a small popup) when the audio interface is enabled (ie. after a "Computer" speech is detected)? A visual feedback of the command identified (or not identified!) by the speak engine could also be useful, in order to understand why a command is misinterpreted.

Although this has been suggested to me before, I'm not really sure how to do this. If anybody has any ideas on how to do this, please PM me, as I think it would be a good idea. On a related note, the next version (hopefully released shortly) will contain a voice response (optional) to indicate whether it's listening or not.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Speaking as someone who has been testing the voice response, it is a great extra feature.
    It's fun to watch the responses of friends, when you say "Computer" and it responds with "Yes?".

My set up is a desk top mic under the TV. I use the 6.1 MS Speech engine, which comes with Office 2003. This is much better at rejecting background noise (than 5.1) from what I have seen so far.
    I have turned off the adaptive learning feature, since it slowly learns my flat mates voices too, which means it isn't as good at recognising my voice.
    To make the voice responses better, I have kept them as brief as possible and also sped up the "Mary" voice slightly. The default speed is a little too slow and no one likes a computer that talks too much.

I know of another person who had to change the activation command from Computer. For some reason the PC would never accept his input. He now says "Jeanie" and the computer responds "Yes, Master?" but his wife hates it, so he'll probably have to change it soon. Anyway, if people are having issues with "Computer" then this may be a solution.
    I'm changing mine to something else too. Being in the IT field that is a word that comes up quite a lot in ceonversation. Now we have to be careful what we say. you can be talking to friends and if the "c" word comes up in conversation then MP gets excited and says "Yes?". Now the game at my house is to try and impersonate my voice and see if the computer will respond. As a result a few of my friends have gotten very good at impersonating my voice.

Booyakasha has done a great job and when he is ready to release the next version I'm sure you'll all love it.

I've also discovered that this plugin can have an element of comedy to it. I can say "By the power of Grey Skull" and the computer will respond with "I have the power" Pointless, but still always makes me laugh every time...

Users who are viewing this thread