Native Blu-ray support (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    What can I say, once CUVID was enabled is was a joy to use MP for BluRay :D

Thanks for the kind words :p The BD dev was kept private quite long so the initial impression / results should be quite good.

I have attached a couple of screen-shots from the two movies, the few frame-drops was created when switching audio (but was not noticeable in video or audio).

Audio stream change is expected to cause minor glitch in the video rendering side - this is because the BDReader.ax is not trying to keep the audio timeline untoutched. So when the audio formats are interleaved with different delays (also delays in decoding affect - probably) it is highly likely that the graph's time will jump a bit (maybe +-100 ms?) and that will cause few video frames to get dropped / doubled.

This is currently not even tried to be corrected. Mainly because I have no clue how to do it properly and it is really a rare use case to change the stream during movie (why would you change it? Just select the best one at the beginning and watch the movie :)). And the minor frame drop / doubling is probably even goin unnoticed with many video content (no smooth panning happening at the moment).

I might fix it in 2012, if I get really bored and there is nothing else to be fixed. So quite unlikely :p

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there a specific reason to use the LAV Video decoder?

My chain usually consists of LAV Splitter , LAV Audio Decoder and Core AVC (in SW Decoder Mode to be able to use 10 Bit)
    I am reluctant to change the chains to avoid problems for other setups.

cheers,

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Is there a specific reason to use the LAV Video decoder?

Blu-ray support had been developed mainly by using LAV video & audio decoders so in the first testing rounds you are probably going to receive more issues with other codec combinations. And when ever you see an issue you should check against the ALV decoders how they work.

My chain usually consists of LAV Splitter , LAV Audio Decoder and Core AVC (in SW Decoder Mode to be able to use 10 Bit)

10 bit is not available in any Blu-ray disk, nor MediaPoral renderer can render it.

I am reluctant to change the chains to avoid problems for other setups.

Blu-ray player has own setup - so the config is not affecting the other video playback areas.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Native Blu-ray support

Hi.
    I've tested it. Works for me with LAVF, great. All BluRay I can put a hand on are working. Some of the 3D BluRays have few dropped frames during (2D) playback.
    If I try MS Codec no Picture is displayed.

Two questions.
    Is it possible to disable Subtitles by default? I don't like them to much and for now I always have to disable them after start Playback.
    Is it possible to avoid the first Popup Menu? If I insert a DVD witch was not played before it will instantly start playing from main menu. And if the Disk playback was interrupted I was asked if I want to playback from last position. Here I always have to choose from a Popup that looks a lot like BD Handler ;) I know we're in an really early state but I prefer this to BDHandler plugin already.

This is a huge step for MP at all, really great work.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Native Blu-ray support

I've tested it. Works for me with LAVF, great. All BluRay I can put a hand on are working. Some of the 3D BluRays have few dropped frames during (2D) playback.

Would be good to get the working Blu-ray title names (and non-working as well). This kind of list will allow us to improve the compatibility.

Maybe it was VC-1 content? Last time when I checked with the MS decoder there was no issues with it. Only when running debugger attached (codec doesn't like that it is being "watched").

Is it possible to disable Subtitles by default? I don't like them to much and for now I always have to disable them after start Playback.

For title based playback mode it would be possible. For menu based mode we just obey what the HDVM tells us to do. Ony thing that we could do would be to allow disabling subtitles completely.

Is it possible to avoid the first Popup Menu? If I insert a DVD witch was not played before it will instantly start playing from main menu. And if the Disk playback was interrupted I was asked if I want to playback from last position.

Disk playback position is not supported in menu mode (it would require changes to the libbluray side). This might be done at some point, but not anytime soon.

Popup menu is needed since not all disks can be played (mainly BD-J ones) in menu mode and user needs to have a way to start the title based mode. Also title based mode is something that people might want to have.

We cannot auto detect what BDs will fail and what not - some BDs have HDVM based content in few initial screens and then they might switch to BD-J based content.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Native Blu-ray support

...Would be good to get the working Blu-ray title names (and non-working as well). This kind of list will allow us to improve the compatibility.
    The BD I've tried are:

Mission Impossible 3, Luftschlacht um England (Battle of Britain), Avatar 3D, Outbreak, Das fliegende Auge (Blue Thunder), Almighty Thor, Harry Potter 7 and some self made BD-Rs from HDTV recordings. Most of them are mastered with tsmuxxer (no recoding) and burned with Ashampoo... There are some 720p BDs also (German Non Commercial TV stations are airing HDTV at 720p) with plays fine as well.

I can borrow some more BDs next weeks to test. Maybe we should do a table with BD Name, and working, partially working, not working that everyone can fill.

Maybe it was VC-1 content? Last time when I checked with the MS decoder there was no issues with it. Only when running debugger attached (codec doesn't like that it is being "watched").
    As far as I know I only have h264 BDs. With MS Codec on all BDs Screen get black but Sound plays.

Ony thing that we could do would be to allow disabling subtitles completely.
    As an Option this would be fine for me.

Popup menu is needed since not all disks can be played (mainly BD-J ones) in menu mode and user needs to have a way to start the title based mode. Also title based mode is something that people might want to have.

We cannot auto detect what BDs will fail and what not - some BDs have HDVM based content in few initial screens and then they might switch to BD-J based content.
    IC

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The auto play on insert doesn't work.
    How are we to start a blu Ray?

I tried the index.bdmv file on a disc and it sends me straight into a movie! Yay!
    I don't see any menus or anyway to show them.
    The context menu shows all the subtitles, audio languages and chapter listings.

I don't see the mediaportal bd reader when I hit Shift 1

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The auto play on insert doesn't work.

Please provide the MediaPortal.log so Manfred can have a look why the auto play doesn't work.

How are we to start a blu Ray?
    I tried the index.bdmv file on a disc and it sends me straight into a movie! Yay!

It should be enough to open the folder that contains BDMV folder (which contains the index.bdmv file).

I don't see any menus or anyway to show them.
    The context menu shows all the subtitles, audio languages and chapter listings.

I don't see the mediaportal bd reader when I hit Shift 1

Sounds like something else was used than native blu-ray support. Did you update some MP install that had Blu-ray Handler?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Native Blu-ray support

Hi.
    On first try I also had the BD Handler grabbing all BD action. Simply disable BD Handler in MP Config, that does the job. Autoplay did work here without issues.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yeah it seems that is (BDH) or using Movpic
    If you try from Movpic, it's needed some change to handle new BD menu.

I have do it in local and all worked nice with that but for now the test must be made by MyVideo default plugin :)
    Yeah please provide log :)
    Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom