Netflix for OnlineVideos (2 Viewers)

Drimincus

Portal Member
March 8, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I found here that changing the user agent gives back the old interface.I tried this with the mentioned one (a firefox version 21 on linux) which worked, but it also works for IE 8 (might also work for other IE versions.)

Question is: can we have online videos send an old user agent? It'll be a hacky workaround that won't last forever, but may hold us over untill there's time to write a proper version.

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does anybody run MediaPortal under Windows 8.1 or 10? Would another work-around be having a button in MediaPortal that runs an external app which could be the Netflix app under Windows 8.1.

I've not run this app before, but is it able to be controlled with the remote?

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Does anybody run MediaPortal under Windows 8.1 or 10? Would another work-around be having a button in MediaPortal that runs an external app which could be the Netflix app under Windows 8.1.

Actually it should allready be possible to launch external appfrom mediaportal, but the problem is that win 8 netflix app wont work with remotes.

Br,

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I found here that changing the user agent gives back the old interface.I tried this with the mentioned one (a firefox version 21 on linux) which worked, but it also works for IE 8 (might also work for other IE versions.)

Question is: can we have online videos send an old user agent? It'll be a hacky workaround that won't last forever, but may hold us over untill there's time to write a proper version.

Great! I will try to use this in an intermediate period! It does indeed revert to the old interface, keeping fingers crossed that it works in OV Netflix also.

Edit: This will only solve the browsing inside OV not the browser playback, this will have to be fixed to the new design.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've updated Netflix, thx @Drimincus (y).

The browser automation isn't as stable as it used to be, you might have to try to play a couple of times before it works and the profiles selection can miss in some odd cases.

@Jason Pyke is there a possibility to change the browser player user agent in some way (newer or older)?
    It looks like the user agent of the browser player isn't supported at all(!?) by Netflix, or is it some other problem, I don't know...
    The problem I'm having is som kind of redirect loop in the browser:
    Login success redirects to http://www.netflix.com/WiHome (old Netflix home) that redirects to http://www.netflix.com/browse (new Netflix home) but then it redirects back to /WiHome and then to /browse to /WiHome to...
    I've solved this using a forms timer to browse away from this loop.
    Changing the profile results in the same loop, solving it by another timer.

Drimincus

Portal Member
    March 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I run MP on windows 8.1 and not being able to use a remote for the netflix app bothers me greatly.

I regularly nag netflix to give some form of keyboard only controls (or better: a public API). If everyone here would ask netflix support (just via chat is possible, so it's not that big of an investment) regularly for keyboard only support they might listen at some point.

I've updated Netflix, thx @Drimincus (y).

The browser automation isn't as stable as it used to be, you might have to try to play a couple of times before it works and the profiles selection can miss in some odd cases.
    Thanks man! I'd rather have a hacky workaround than nothing at all. Netflix should get off their ass and just give us keyboard controls for the windows app or official support for MP/Kodi.

Jason Pyke

Portal Pro
    April 12, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    is there a possibility to change the browser player user agent in some way (newer or older)?

Looking online you should be able to attach to the BeforeNavigate2 event, although you'll need to add a COM reference to "Microsoft Internet Controls":

(Browser.ActiveXInstance as SHDocVw.WebBrowser).BeforeNavigate2 += BeforeNavigate;

void BeforeNavigate(object pDisp, ref object URL, ref object Flags, ref object TargetFrameName, refobject PostData, ref object Headers, ref bool Cancel)
    {
    Headers +=string.Format("User-Agent: {0}\r\n", {CustomUserAgentHere});
    }

Arni_69

Portal Member
    November 18, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since last update the remote control is stuttering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom