blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all

This is indeed disappointing news. For me, paid on-line content has become a staple in our household.

This has got me thinking. Would anybody be willing to start an on-line fund with each users donating towards it for the development of a new purpose-built plugin? I sure know I'd donate to it, as I am sure many others would also so see Netflix a stable part of MediaPortal.

Would anyone else be interested in looking into this with me?

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    [...] the development of a new purpose-built plugin? [...] as I am sure many others would also so see Netflix a stable part of MediaPortal.
    A Netflix plugin would not solve anything when it comes to being stable. Netflix has closed their public API (that only did work for US+Canada) and changed the website for the first time in four years. A plugin would also break in this situation.

OnlineVideos is not only a collection of videos sites, it is more importantly a very stable and competent framework for online video content. To develop a separate plugin is just extra work, no need to invent the wheel again.

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just to take my previous post a little further, I'm picking that Apple and Samsung etc. have a commercial arrangement with Netflix for an API. What I'm proposing is that we crowd source and do the same for Mediaportal.

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just to take my previous post a little further, I'm picking that Apple and Samsung etc. have a commercial arrangement with Netflix for an API. What I'm proposing is that we crowd source and do the same for Mediaportal.

I would say it's a very slim chance it could lead to something.
    1) They closed their public API - in subtext only premium partners
    2) MP is a small niche product and open source (Netflix will demand closed source for sure)
    3) They would not see any profit or major gain in an business arrangement with a product such as MP.

If I continue to speculate I think Plex, Kodi or even Emby might have a greater (but very slim) possibility to be a partner with Netflix.

I think Netflix develops the Apple TV app themselves.
    Not sure, but I think Samsungs developing their own Netflix app (and only supporting and upgrading the latest models...).

Olli123

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2012
    You all spread out speculation.... Not reliable facts!

This plugin we had all the time was perfect and working fine for me. Just give that man a bit time.... And we all are happy again.

zekaja

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2010
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just like to make one comment about the hard work of "our" hardworking developers, here at MP, who are doing it for free. We are very grateful.. Thnx.

I remember the stand alone NetflixAlpha plugin.. As I remember it just stopped cause of the api becoming closed to the public, and Ministerk found a workaround to the benefit of all of us..... And again this is just part of the open source environment of smaller projects like MP... Some can code and all of us can help test, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't... This OV version of Netflix has actually worked well for a long time :)

But I wouldn't mind putting up a small sum if Netflix would commit to mediaportal...

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I personally think it is easy to forget how powerful this community is, and the weight that 100,000's of users (how many are there?) carries.

Netflix would be foolish to ignore this community. And we have nothing to lose asking them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom