Netflix Manager (Updated 02/10/07) (1 Viewer)

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Trailers are either WMP or Flash. The WMP are the ones that work and play fullscreen in the MP video player. I have experimented a little with playing the Watch Now movies in WMP and it works great. It shouldn't be too hard to grab the link from the WatchNow page and begin playing in the MP video player. I will try to implement this tonight after work and release a new version.

I agree that the best way to be able to browse watch now movies would be to ask Netflix to create a RSS feed. This would make it extremely easy. I am going to write them an email asking them to do this. You should all do the same.

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
After a little playing around, it seems like it will be harder than first anticipated. Here is the problem:

When playing a watch now movie in IE I can look at the source and the links are there, but when I grab the source within MP it is not the same and doesn't have the links anywhere. So I don't know how to find these links without looking in at the source in IE.

fyi: I am using HttpWebRequest to get the source with the plugin.

bugmenot

Portal Pro
January 13, 2007
That's great news about full screen for MP/WMP.
I agree that the best way for WatchNow to be implemented would be for Netflix to add RSS feeds for it and I also have made this request, but I'm not holding my breath.
In the mean time, why wouldn't a Ponyfish RSS feed to WatchNow "Recent Additions" work?
These should be continuously updated and it would be nice to have any kind of alternative to Search"typing".
Just a thought...

Armyb77

Portal Member
January 24, 2007
Home Country
hobbes487,
I know you probably did but did you remember to add the cookie container in the HTTPWEBREQUEST?

Here is an example from another website:
Code:
Dim uri As New Uri(http://www.somewebsite.com)

Dim cookieUri As New Uri(http://www.somewebsite.com/informationtoget.htm)

Dim request As HttpWebRequest = WebRequest.Create(uri)

request = CType(System.Net.WebRequest.Create(uri), System.Net.HttpWebRequest)

request.CookieContainer = New System.Net.CookieContainer

' this is the cookie saved from the cookie file in IE

request.CookieContainer.SetCookies(cookieUri, "TB=AjOp5WatJDMyIjO4l2Zy9mQ6YDMzMTM")

Dim response As HttpWebResponse = request.GetResponse()

Dim reader As StreamReader = New StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream())

Dim str As String = reader.ReadToEnd

I don't know if that will help. Regardless I believe that the request is going to have to specify the IE engine since firefox and such is not compatible with WMP without using the IE Engine.

Hope this helps a little, unfortunately i'm out of minutes with Netflix until the 30th so i'm no longer to play around to help out.

Thanks,
Armyb77

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
That's great news about full screen for MP/WMP.
I agree that the best way for WatchNow to be implemented would be for Netflix to add RSS feeds for it and I also have made this request, but I'm not holding my breath.
In the mean time, why wouldn't a Ponyfish RSS feed to WatchNow "Recent Additions" work?
These should be continuously updated and it would be nice to have any kind of alternative to Search"typing".
Just a thought...

I think you are right. Having any RSS feed would be better than nothing if Netflix won't create it. I think I will try this out with creating a feed for the top 50 Watch Now movies and the first page of the recent additions.

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
hobbes487,
I know you probably did but did you remember to add the cookie container in the HTTPWEBREQUEST?

I don't know if that will help. Regardless I believe that the request is going to have to specify the IE engine since firefox and such is not compatible with WMP without using the IE Engine.

Hope this helps a little, unfortunately i'm out of minutes with Netflix until the 30th so i'm no longer to play around to help out.

Thanks,
Armyb77

Yes, I am using the cookie container. That is how the queue works. As far as the using the IE engine, I'm not sure how I would do that. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Armyb77

Portal Member
January 24, 2007
Home Country
hobbes487,
what about the GetRedirectURL and GetFinalResponse commands? I don't have a C# editor or compiler so it's hard for me to try it on my end, actually to be honest i'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. Those commands may help though i'm not sure.

I'm not very C# knowledgeable so here is a link that might be able to explain it better for you:
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/internet/httpwebrequest_response.asp

Thanks
Armyb77

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom