New Ambient Lighting system - no knowledge (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    So...ordered everything..let the games begin...

Thanks for you input so far guys...more questions to come!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yep that is the correct link, can try V6 but for Hyperion only there's no benefit as you can even run 4.2 where it runs fine.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,

i hope the_stig is allowing me to hijack his thread shortly :D

i would go for nearly the same setup as the_stig, but a little bit bigger :)

My shopping list for now is:
    I own already a RPi 1 with case and 5V PSU. So no need for that. Also some female/male cables lying around here somewhere :)

My tv is a Sony X8509C 55" with a size of 123,6cmx72.2cm. Therefore i need around 4 meters led stripe. Which PSU should i use for that? How much power do i need for 4m x 72pixel/m?

Another question is: How do i split up the power from the psu? Just split the power after the PSU connector to every 50. LED? So i need to split the power 6 times to every 50. led?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
    Chris

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    APA102 72/m
    I would say there is no real need for more than 60leds/m, especially not if your tv is free standing.

I remember vaguely that me and @Rick164 already mentioned that his one wont work. :)

PSU: ??????
    Number of leds times the current 1 led needs. Or as you have this information in watt per meter. It would be Watts per meter devided by the amount of leds per meter, devided by the voltage, times the total amount of leds. This will give you the current for the whole system :). So you will need a psu that can provide this current or more. Which will probably be one of these Meanwell ones, so the PSU Connector istnt needed in any case.

Another question is: How do i split up the power from the psu? Just split the power after the PSU connector to every 50. LED? So i need to split the power 6 times to every 50. led?
    I would suggest to connect to the middle of every side strip. So in best pracitce you would need 4 red and 4 black (4 times V+ and GND) wires. And every strip would be connected via 1 black and 1 red to the psu.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    APA102 72/m
    I would say there is no real need for more than 60leds/m, especially not if your tv is free standing.
    My tv hangs on the wall. On the top there is around 8 cm space to the wall. on the bottom there is only around 2 cm space on the wall. But the tv front is looking a little bit to the bottom. So the bottom is nearer to the wall as the top. Also the tv is much thicker at the bottom. What to you mean? Is 60 enough?

PSU: ??????
    Number of leds times the current 1 led needs. Or as you have this information in watt per meter. It would be Watts per meter devided by the amount of leds per meter, devided by the voltage, times the total amount of leds. This will give you the current for the whole system :). So you will need a psu that can provide this current or more. Which will probably be one of these Meanwell ones, so the PSU Connector istnt needed in any case.

I would suggest to connect to the middle of every side strip. So in best pracitce you would need 4 red and 4 black (4 times V+ and GND) wires. And every strip would be connected via 1 black and 1 red to the psu

Thanks for the info :D

4m x 72pixel/m?
    1 leds = 60 mA
    so for 123 cm = 89 Leds = 5.34
    and 72.2 = 52 leds = 3.12A
    so for all the side ; (3.12 + 5.34) x2 = 16.92 A = 20 A
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...HING-POWER-SUPPLY-For/1051119_1603666593.html
    How to use this psu? If i understand correctly are the connectors 1 to 7, 7 + connectors and the little screw on the left blue pcb ground? So i can connect the 4 + connections to 1-4 on the psu and the ground to the little screw? or is this the input of the power? L and N and GRND?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom