New Australian TV guide source (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
I'm back from holidays and recent personal stuff regarding an accident is now cleared up.

Latest release is RC 2.6

This version works bloody well! I'm using it myself.

If I've missed sending anybody a link to this version please PM me.

runner01

Portal Member
April 22, 2007
Hi Just been playing around with it, I haven't tried it yet on my HTPC yet, always try and test stuff out before the media PC wife would kill me if something went wrong.. :)

So Far looks good,easy to setup only one thing I could find and this is so minor can be ignored, but it can be a chore to sort through and find the correct channels, maybe a sorting option State, free to air, pay ect...... but again not a biggie. :D

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
.... it can be a chore to sort through and find the correct channels, maybe a sorting option State, free to air, pay ect...... but again not a biggie. :D

Point taken there are a couple of hundred channels to choose from so it might take a while to find your choice. I messed around with tick-boxes that would add all the channels for a given city but there are so many permutations and combinations of HD SD and analog, and so many regional variations that it complicated the process rather than simplifying it. The channels are actually arranged in order with FTA first, then Foxtel, then Optus. The FTA channels are grouped by capital city and regional centres, but lots of channels (Like ABC1, SBS, Cartoon Network and the HD channels) are broadcast nationally, or on all the Pay-TV services so it can look as though it's not sorted. In any case, choosing the channels only needs to be done once.

Also - look in the advanced options. There is an option to create a complete list of channels that you can view in notepad or print. This is designed to make it easier to locate and choose the channels for grabbing.

pandew

Portal Member
August 17, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Thanks for this... have been using for a week or so now and it works well. Guide data is excellent- very comprehensive.
My only issue is that downloading the data seems to take quite some time- 30-45 minutes for 1 days data for the 7 free to air channels here. Not such a big issue though as have just set a scheduled task to run guidedigger and tvguidescheduler each time my computer starts- runs in background under different user.
In the readme there is something about changing guidedigger.exe to guidedigger.tkn if using automatic scheduling- this didn't work for me (maybe it's referring to something else) I just use run "guidedigger.exe" as a task and this works fine.
Many thanks for a fine piece of work.

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
Thanks for this... have been using for a week or so now and it works well. Guide data is excellent- very comprehensive.
My only issue is that downloading the data seems to take quite some time- 30-45 minutes for 1 days data for the 7 free to air channels here. Not such a big issue though as have just set a scheduled task to run guidedigger and tvguidescheduler each time my computer starts- runs in background under different user.
In the readme there is something about changing guidedigger.exe to guidedigger.tkn if using automatic scheduling- this didn't work for me (maybe it's referring to something else) I just use run "guidedigger.exe" as a task and this works fine.
Many thanks for a fine piece of work.

Thanks for the feedback.

30-45 minutes is much slower than I've seen before. Of course it depends on the speed of your internet connection, and a few other things as well. In fact the program uses Internet Explorer to download the data for you. If you have some condition that slows down IE (cache full is an example, or damaged winsock) the program slows down correspondingly.

I've disabled FTP in the current version until some minor issues are worked out. When enabled it will drastically speed up the downloads at least by a factor of 10.

As for changing guidedigger.exe to guidedigger.tkn - Some scheduling programs require you to enter an "argument" as well as the program executable. If this is the case, the argument you use is "guidedigger.tkn" which is a smaller file located in the program folder. You might need to put the full file path before it.

pandew

Portal Member
August 17, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
How long is normal for a days download for 7 or so channels?
I will have to look at IE on HTPC- have only used once or twice on this machine so doubt cache would be full- use firefox and even that is minimal on this machine.
How do I check for a damaged winsock?
Let us know when ftp downloads are good to use.
cheers.

S.O.P

Portal Pro
January 13, 2007
Home Country
Currently using the TV Service EPG Downloader but am interested in your software if it offers a different end result.

Please PM the details if you are still looking for beta testers, angusmann.

martymoose

Portal Member
June 26, 2007
Home Country
mate this is great it just works
i have set it up as a scedualled task to run at night every 3 days
is that the way to do it

mate cheers have tried all the rest this one is basic and gets the job done

cheers again looking to it getting better
marty

angusmann

Portal Pro
October 22, 2005
mate this is great it just works
i have set it up as a scedualled task to run at night every 3 days
is that the way to do it
mate cheers have tried all the rest this one is basic and gets the job done
cheers again looking to it getting better
marty

Thanks for the feedback!

You can run it every day or every few days if you like. It will only download when new data becomes available so even running it several times a day would not waste internet bandwidth.

irish

Portal Member
April 3, 2008
Home Country
mate im interested in trying this out just got my htpc sorted so would be nice to try it out

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom