New Australian TV guide source (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Just curious - I used to hunt around like everyone else for some sort of Aussie EPG and cursed the lack of them. I used the xml approaches and anything else I could get my hands on. Recently I did a totally clean install of MediaPortal and Windows 7, and didn't configure in any plugins for EPGs. I simply enabled the EPG scraping that it does in the background.

Lo and behold, about half an hour later, I noticed that the EPG was fully populated. Not just "Now and Next" like they used to be, but for a week or more into the future for all the channels, including complete descriptions.

So it doesn't appear that any sort of external EPG is required any more. Am I missing something or does this EPG in this thread do things that the built-in one doesn't?

I'm only using FTA by the way and I'm in Melbourne.

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    Just curious - I used to hunt around like everyone else for some sort of Aussie EPG and cursed the lack of them. I used the xml approaches and anything else I could get my hands on. Recently I did a totally clean install of MediaPortal and Windows 7, and didn't configure in any plugins for EPGs. I simply enabled the EPG scraping that it does in the background.
    Lo and behold, about half an hour later, I noticed that the EPG was fully populated. Not just "Now and Next" like they used to be, but for a week or more into the future for all the channels, including complete descriptions.
    So it doesn't appear that any sort of external EPG is required any more. Am I missing something or does this EPG in this thread do things that the built-in one doesn't?
    I'm only using FTA by the way and I'm in Melbourne.

GuideDigger has been around for about 3 years and has never stopped working for more than a day or 2.

Probably you are seeing the guide data that is broadcast with the digital TV signal and provided by the station. On the whole it's actually pretty good, and it's getting better as time goes by. Sometimes it's very brief, sometimes missing altogether but it's good enough for most people most of the time.

On that basis, an XML solution is an option rather than a necessity. If you have pay TV, an XML solution is probably your only option. I like to think the XML data is better quality and more reliable, but the gap is closing as time goes by. If you're happy with the broadcast TV guide and don't want the hassle of setting up another program, there's no reason to change.

DopeyOne

Portal Member
    August 21, 2007
    I'd love to try it out, I have just done a fresh OS/MP install because I was sick of the EPG issues I was having with the previous install, would love to try something different out.
    Cheers

vk3heg

Portal Member
    April 3, 2008
    Ballarat
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    angusmann, does your grabber work with the new mp 1.1rc2 release? (I'm still using ms sql 2005 express)...

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    angusmann, does your grabber work with the new mp 1.1rc2 release? (I'm still using ms sql 2005 express)...

Dunno.

There's no reason why it shouldn't. The program runs quite independently of MP and in fact was not originally designed for use with MP. All it does is create the guide in XML format that MP can then use. Unless the MP folks changed the XML format or something (which I really doubt) then it should work fine. It's been months since I've had any kind of bug-report.

LenFromOz

Portal Member
    September 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Been using this for over a year now, it's basically set and forget. Great work Angusmann.

ferzal

Portal Member
    December 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Been running this for some months now. No problems at all.

Where I live (regional Vic) this program is absolutely essential. We have holes in our EPG that run for days and some channels haven't had any data ever. So many thanks for this. When I was hunting around for solutions the alternatives looked like a royal pain to set up. This program is as essential to my HPTC as the TV Tuner. :D

Just noticed a new update. Anything exciting? ;)

angusmann

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2005
    Been running this for some months now. No problems at all
    Just noticed a new update. Anything exciting? ;)

If you go to the download page at the link I sent, there is a file called changelog.txt that shows what is new or altered in each update. In this case, it was the addition of some new/changed channels for Ballarat and Austar Digital.

Glad to see it's working well for you :)

ferzal

Portal Member
    December 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have always read the changelog before. No idea why I didn't think to do that this time. Early onset alzheimers? :oops:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom