New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Version 0.25 has been released (see first post for link)

Changes:

Fix UTF-8 encoded Text tags contain not being converted properly in some cases
    Fix Year formatting exceptions not being caught causing app to crash in some cases
    Fix WMA track number blank when WM/TrackNumber attribute contains DWORD instead of string
    Fix reader hangs on MP3 when ID3v2 tag length is incorrect
    Fix "Hour" component of duration not being displayed when track is >= 60 seconds long

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi steve

I have some questions:
    - The name of folders which start with a '_' or '!' for example 'F:\Music\!4work' are read by windows at first and after these the other folders are read. The tag-reader read these folders at last. I don't know if this is necessery after the implementation into MediaPortal.
    Also logical sorting of numbers (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, ..., Vol. 10, Vol. 11 and NOT Vol. 1, Vol. 10, Vol. 2, ...) is a MediaPortal-GUI topic i think.

- Is 'cue'-support for the MyMusic-plugin planned? If yes, I think it could be useful that the tag-reader import the informations, if it find such cue-files.

BTW: v0.2.5.1 is working well. But I'll test it more in few hours.

Greetings
    chefkoch

Molokoids

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    Hi, I have improper duration reported on low-bitrate mp3s (96Kbps) by Multi-tag reader. Itunes gives me the same (false) duration. The duration is correctly reported by Windows Media player.

Also for the same mp3s, Multi-tag reader reports the genre as 52electronic, but they are tagged Electronic.

And thanks for the hardwork ! Truly appreciated.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Molokoids

Molokoids said:
    Also for the same mp3s, Multi-tag reader reports the genre as 52electronic, but they are tagged Electronic.
    This problem will be fixed in v0.2.6.0.

Hi steve

I've found two more issues:
    - If the a mp3-file doesn't have any tags then an error message is written in the logfile. If an ape-file doesn't contain any tag then there's no message written to the message log. Also the items are displayed differently.
    Code:
    20.07.2006 23:40:03 Begin reading tags...
    20.07.2006 23:40:03 Reading tag 1 (C:\tagreader\notag.ape)
    20.07.2006 23:40:03 Reading tag 2 (C:\tagreader\notag.mp3)
    20.07.2006 23:40:03     TagReader.ReadTag returned false for: C:\tagreader\notag.mp3
    20.07.2006 23:40:03 Done! Retrieved 2 tags in 00:00:00.078 (0,039 seconds per track)

- The duration shows 00:00. Mp3tag: 00:01 - Winamp&WMP: 1:19
    It's hard to send you the file (2482 KB), because of mY fu**i*n* dial-up connection, but I'll try it to split.
    Code:
    20.07.2006 23:48:12 Begin reading tags...
    20.07.2006 23:48:12 Reading tag 1 (C:\tagreader\duration.mp3)
    20.07.2006 23:48:12     ID3.GetBitrate caused an exception: Es wurde versucht, durch 0 (null) zu teilen.
    20.07.2006 23:48:12 Done! Retrieved 1 tags in 00:00:00.093 (0,094 seconds per track)
    deu: Es wurde versucht, durch 0 (null) zu teilen.
    eng: It was tried to divide by zero.

Greetings
    chefkoch

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Version 0.26 has been released (see first post for link)

Changes:

Fix: empty MP3 file crashes app
    Fix: ID3v1 tag should not return a track number
    Fix: handling of genre frames that include both a genre id and genre name; (20)Country / 20Country
    Fix: tags that include TDRC frame instead of TYER frame are ignored
    Fix: File with empty APE tags now shows an ERROR READING TAG error
    Fix: Duration divide by zero error

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    chefkoch said:
    Hi steve

I have some questions:
    - The name of folders which start with a '_' or '!' for example 'F:\Music\!4work' are read by windows at first and after these the other folders are read. The tag-reader read these folders at last. I don't know if this is necessery after the implementation into MediaPortal.
    Also logical sorting of numbers (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, ..., Vol. 10, Vol. 11 and NOT Vol. 1, Vol. 10, Vol. 2, ...) is a MediaPortal-GUI topic i think.

- Is 'cue'-support for the MyMusic-plugin planned? If yes, I think it could be useful that the tag-reader import the informations, if it find such cue-files.

BTW: v0.2.5.1 is working well. But I'll test it more in few hours.

Greetings
    chefkoch

The tag reader recursively scans all of the folders beginning with the folder initially pointed to when you click the "Scan Folders..." button. There's not a whole lot I can do to control the order n which these folders are scanned.

Same thing goes with the logical sorting of numbers. It's important to remember that the numbers are really strings'

"Track 1"
    "Track 10"
    "Track 2"
    "Track 29"
    "Track 3"

I'm haven't decided what to do with cue files as they present some challenges with the music database.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Molokoids said:
    Hi, I have improper duration reported on low-bitrate mp3s (96Kbps) by Multi-tag reader. Itunes gives me the same (false) duration. The duration is correctly reported by Windows Media player.

And thanks for the hardwork ! Truly appreciated.

You're the second person that has reported inaccurate duration values with low bitrate VBR MP3's. I'll have a closer look at this when all of the other issues have been resolved. In the meantime can you send me a couple of affected files. I'll PM you my email address.

The genre issue should be fixed in the current version.

Thanks for testing,

Steve

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Low bitrate mp3s should be deleted from your collections anyway! They sound like they have been recorded underwater :)

But seriously I think this is maybe a problem with the mp3 format, rather than the tag reader.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SteveV said:
    Same thing goes with the logical sorting of numbers. It's important to remember that the numbers are really strings'

"Track 1"
    "Track 10"
    "Track 2"
    "Track 29"
    "Track 3"
    Hi Steve,

How about padding with 0? If you set up:
    "Track 01"
    "Track 02"
    "Track 03"
    "Track 10"
    "Track 29"

it sorts fine (up to number 99, but that should be enough).

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    mbuzina said:
    SteveV said:

"Track 1"
    "Track 10"
    "Track 2"
    "Track 29"
    "Track 3"
    Hi Steve,

How about padding with 0? If you set up:
    "Track 01"
    "Track 02"
    "Track 03"
    "Track 10"
    "Track 29"

it sorts fine (up to number 99, but that should be enough).

I picked a lousy example. Yes you're right that this would fix the problem. But in order to do this we'd need to parse each album title looking for numeric values and make a best guess on how to alter it to improve it's sortability. Perhaps an editable DiskNumber column in the music database would be a better (and more accurate) solution?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom