Newb - Need links to get media guide (1 Viewer)

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Can someone provide me a link on how to get a TV guide working in MP1? Yes I've searched the web and all I find is a pain the A%$ edit XML. I use Windows Media center and it was all automatic. I'm thinking, maybe I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
Home Country
I did try the Web EPG but all that I got was 4 channels and they're not syncd correctly. Seems Fox is the only one and it shows a IMDB web link. I'm in the Los Angeles area so maybe that might help someone guide me.

I read that there's a non-profit service you can use and I'd consider it if it's easiwer than this...WebEPG - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Can someone provide me a link on how to get a TV guide working in MP1?
    Looked at the guides in the wiki (manual)?
    XMLTV mc2xml - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    WebEPG - TVGuide - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

In addition to these, there's also:
    • zap2xml - For getting guide data from zap2it. You can use essentially the same setup guide as for mc2xml.
    • SchedulesDirect - There's a TV Server plugin (installed via the MP Extensions Installer). Free trial for 7 days, after which EPG data costs $25 per year.

Yes I've searched the web and all I find is a pain the A%$ edit XML.
    In general you get what you pay for.
    If you refuse to edit XML, that rules out WebEPG + IMDB.

I use Windows Media center and it was all automatic.
    ...thanks to Microsoft's money. MediaPortal relies on donations just to keep our servers running.
    With the greatest respect, if you expect the same experience you had with WMC, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We simply can't afford to provide that.

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
    Home Country
    Hey, I appreciate MP for what it is. Yea, I was hoping for something as steamlined but I agree - free is good as it gets.

As for Sdirect, if I pay for that, is it a simple install? Or is it real complicated?

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
    Home Country
    Hey again. So I was able to create an account with zap2it and organize my channels. I then ran zap2it.xml and it created an xml file in the directory. Anyone know what I do with this file now?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I then ran zap2it.xml and it created an xml file in the directory.
    That's an XMLTV (the defacto standard format for guide data) file.

Anyone know what I do with this file now?
    As per my previous reply: you can essentially follow the guide for mc2xml now. Start at "Setup XMLTV Plugin":
    XMLTV mc2xml - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

Two things to do before you start (covered earlier in the guide, but didn't want to confuse you with all the references to mc2xml):
    1. Make sure the XML file created by zap2xml is named tvguide (full file name with extension: tvguide.xml). TV Server will ignore it unless it is named this way.
    2. Download (right click -> save as...) the xmltv.dtd file from -->here<-- and put it in the folder with the XMLTV (tvguide.xml) file.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck.

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
    Home Country
    MM1352000, Thanks so much for the help. Even the 2 points are a great help. I'll go over the instructions you linked now and do as you say.

I even tried the Schedules Direct and that didn't work either. I got the plugin installed, put in the username, password and what do you know? NOTHING! haha.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I got the plugin installed, put in the username, password and what do you know? NOTHING! haha.
    I'm not surprised. You're not going to see anything happen immediately. It takes a few minutes to download the EPG data.
    So, if you were expecting the EPG to suddenly be populated, your expectations were set too high.

By the way: what's your TV source? Antenna/aerial (ie. digital over the air terrestrial ATSC), analog cable, digital cable, satellite (Dish, DirecTV)?

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
    Home Country
    Antenna. It's ATSC OTA. And I gave it two hours to update and still nothing. I'm sure it's a simple learning curve and I have to admit, it feels good when you accomplish something. I was so happy to get the XML. The instruction on zap2it tool was ambiguous but I figured it out and then the script ran and when I looked in the directory, there it was :) felt great. Now to figure out what to do with that file. My guess is, if I can get that file loaded into MP, then I can run a task schedule in windows to run the script and keep it updated automatically? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Antenna. It's ATSC OTA.
    Okay. SchedulesDirect usually works really well with antenna setups so I'm surprised. We can come back to this if you don't end up being satisfied with zap2xml.

My guess is, if I can get that file loaded into MP, then I can run a task schedule in windows to run the script and keep it updated automatically?
    Bingo - exactly right! (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom