Odd Standby issue (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When it appear, red dot stay displayed and also, duration of recording is 0 (zero), even when recording (I mean .ts file) is compete.
    When I take it out of Away Mode after the recording should have completed but the PC had failed to sleep the red dot is not displayed at that point.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Last test before the evenings viewing was a success:). After disabling Power Scheduler in TV Config I put it to sleep while a recording was in progress and after completing the recording the PC also went to sleep.(y)
    Need to to more testing tomorrow but given that is the first time it has worked for me could be Power Scheduler is the culprit.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    After disabling Power Scheduler in TV Config I put it to sleep while a recording was in progress and after completing the recording the PC also went to sleep.(y)
    Caution: it is PowerScheduler that requests Windows to wake the system to perform a recording. If you have completely disabled PowerScheduler, none of your future recordings will occur (unless you leave the HTPC on all of the time).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Need to to more testing tomorrow but given that is the first time it has worked for me could be Power Scheduler is the culprit.
    It is certainly worthwhile going through all of the PowerScheduler tabs in "TV Server Config" and checking that you have not enabled a setting that has this unwanted behaviour as a side effect.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    And in the same way from CyberSimian, Windows doesn't know if recordings are running.
    Then, Windows could sleep PC when it's not wanted.
    I never use Windows for PC with MP, always PS plugin, no Windows power off/on handling :

zz1.png

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And in the same way from CyberSimian, Windows doesn't know if recordings are running.
    Then, Windows could sleep PC when it's not wanted.
    Hmm.... Windows certainly knows when it is busy making a recording which it (Windows, not MP) does even if MP is not running, once the recording has been scheduled prior to MP being closed for example. The idle timeout should only be actioned once the recording has finished but as the testing on my HTPC has shown in certain circumstances it is not doing so with Power Scheduler enabled.
    I have been through the settings in Power Scheduler and cleared everything in the EPG tab as I now use EPG Buddy which runs its own schedule and also everything in the Network tab, nothing was set in the Shares, Reboot and Process tabs. The "Configure Manually" option in the Advanced tab as far as I can tell is just a reflection of the settings on the Windows Power Plan, any changes made will be applied in Windows and vice versa changes applied in Windows will be displayed there.
    A test with the latest settings in Power Scheduler did not help the PC did not sleep on completion of the recording!

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hmm.... Windows certainly knows when it is busy making a recording which it (Windows, not MP) does even if MP is not running, once the recording has been scheduled prior to MP being closed for example. The idle timeout should only be actioned once the recording has finished but as the testing on my HTPC has shown in certain circumstances it is not doing so with Power Scheduler enabled.
    No, MP TVService know it, not Windows. ;)
    Busy or not, if you tell Windows to shut down (or sleep, or hibernate), it will do it.
    The "Configure Manually" option in the Advanced tab as far as I can tell is just a reflection of the settings on the Windows Power Plan, any changes made will be applied in Windows and vice versa changes applied in Windows will be displayed there.
    Yes, true.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    A test with the latest settings in Power Scheduler did not help the PC did not sleep on completion of the recording!
    Hmm. The next thing to consider would be a device on your system that does not support sleep. I think that the INF file for each device defines what low-power states that device can support. If there is a device that does not support sleep, Windows will refuse to sleep.

Your case is somewhat different, in that sometimes the system does sleep, but this may be due to the device driver not responding correctly to Windows queries. I believe that you use a Pulse-8 device for CEC control? Does this plug into a USB socket on the HTPC, or does it emit IR signals to control the HTPC?

If your Pulse-8 is USB connected, it may be that device that is causing the problem. So the next test would be to disconnect the Pulse-8 device and see if that makes a difference. You should also uninstall or disable the MP CEC plugin, as it may be the plugin that is causing the problem.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hmm. The next thing to consider would be a device on your system that does not support sleep. I think that the INF file for each device defines what low-power states that device can support. If there is a device that does not support sleep, Windows will refuse to sleep.
    That's why I proposed the previous PS setting. ;)
    It force Windows to shut down, even with bad drivers on low power.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Windows certainly knows when it is busy making a recording which it (Windows, not MP) does even if MP is not running
    No, MP TVService know it, not Windows. ;)
    Busy or not, if you tell Windows to shut down (or sleep, or hibernate), it will do it.
    To be clear, TV Server runs as a service, and hence runs all of the time. It is TV Server that knows when a recording is due, and which starts the recording.

There is a system flag that TV Server switches on when a recording starts, and this flag tells Windows that the system must not sleep or hibernate. The relevant function is SetThreadExecutionState().

If this flag is switched on, the system won't sleep, and won't hibernate after the hibernation timeout has expired. However, the system will hibernate if requested explicitly by the user, and will shutdown if requested by the user. If sleep is requested by the user, the system will transition to away mode (if that mode has been enabled by the user), and the system will sleep when the flag is switched off by TV Server when the recording has finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom