Odd Standby issue (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is a system flag that TV Server switches on when a recording starts, and this flag tells Windows that the system must not sleep or hibernate. The relevant function is SetThreadExecutionState().
    So can we assume that function is on and then goes off when on completion of a recording that was scheduled to start with the PC in sleep, but what is the role of Power Scheduler in inhibiting the idle timeout on completion of a recording that was in progress when the PC was put to sleep (i.e in Away Mode)?

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    So can we assume that function is on and then goes off when on completion of a recording that was scheduled to start with the PC in sleep
    Only if you don't do it by yourself, that's why my last screenshot.
    To be more clear, the most important is surrounded in red, do nothing.

zz1.png

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To be more clear, the most important is surrounded in red, do nothing.
    Which means I cannot put the HTPC to sleep with the remote and while a recording is in progress and for possibly hours the TV and AVR will remain awake and using power! Sorry but that is no solution and even worse than the PC not going to sleep on completion of a recording.(n)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    No, it means that, if you configure power ON/OFF button to do other things than nothing, push it will be considered as a power off asked by yourself then possibly, put the PC in sleep mode...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, it means that, if you configure power ON/OFF button to do other things than nothing, push it will be considered as a power off asked by yourself then possibly, put the PC in sleep mode...
    But it does not go to sleep it goes into Away Mode while the recording is in progress so why does it not honour the button press once the
    SetThreadExecutionState function has expired?

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    But it does not go to sleep it goes into Away Mode while the recording is in progress so why does it not honour the button press once the
    SetThreadExecutionState function has expired?
    Then, we loop at the beginning
    There is probably a bug somewhere, there.
    I never find it (and I have searched, you can count on me).
    This because of maybe in a C++ code and also, because it's too heavy for one guy to resolve it alone without help (record/start/end PC, sometimes before and after midnight,..., blabla).
    And more if randomly.
    Now, if you want to go in a specific process, and actual logs are not enough to search where is a cause, I'm ready to provide you modified PS plugin or MP parts for that.
    But testing alone and make extra logs is too much for one person, in this specific case of long duration tests...

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I never find it (and I have searched, you can count on me).
    I believe you, what we really need is to dump this outdated and buggy old TV Server and its addons and get someone to interface MP1 to the TV Mosaic API, they have done it for MP2 so it can't be that impossible, can it???

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My experience of using TV Server with PowerScheduler has (so far) been problem free, and my HTPC always hibernates within one or two minutes of the end of an unattended recording. But I am using Windows 7, so not directly comparable to your situation (I think that both of you are using Windows 10 or 11?).

@joecrow :
    • Are you using the 64-bit version of MP1 on your HTPC? There may be a bug that was introduced when the MP or PowerScheduler source code was recompiled for 64 bit. Did you have this problem when you previously used the 32-bit version of MP?
    • I think that it would be worthwhile testing with your Pulse-8 device unplugged from the HTPC (assuming that it is connected via USB).
    PowerScheduler can keep the HTPC awake in response to various conditions, but if you have now disabled all of those and the problem still occurs, then that suggests that it is not PowerScheduler that is causing the problem.

Windows will prevent the system sleeping if it thinks that there is activity, or that one or more devices does not support sleep.

Certain applications run all of the time (like TV Server), and perhaps you have installed one of those that is misbehaving (Chrome, iTunes, Spotify, others...).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Just wake up my PC right now.
    Client freeze at 15H09 (3H09 PM) when it was put in sleep.

And, there was no recording.
    Then, bug is not only because of records....
    Win 11 and MP 1.32p

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you using the 64-bit version of MP1 on your HTPC? There may be a bug that was introduced when the MP or PowerScheduler source code was recompiled for 64 bit. Did you have this problem when you previously used the 32-bit version of MP?
    Yes I am using the x64 bit MP 1.32 pre release with Win 11 but remember the Power Scheduler is a plugin for the TV Server which remains as x 86 so has, I believe, not been recompiled for x64, and yes I was seeing this problem with MP 1.31 and earlier.
    PowerScheduler can keep the HTPC awake in response to various conditions, but if you have now disabled all of those and the problem still occurs, then that suggests that it is not PowerScheduler that is causing the problem.
    I disabled Power Scheduler only for testing since, as you pointed out, without it I cannot make unattended recordings if the HTPC is sleeping. All the tests where I reported the problem ocured have been with Power Scheduler enabled.
    I think that it would be worthwhile testing with your Pulse-8 device unplugged from the HTPC (assuming that it is connected via USB).
    That is really not an option, without it the the AVR and TV remain awake and anyway I have already determined that there is not a problem when Power Scheduler is disabled, same for the apps you mentioned none of which, or similar, are in fact installed and also nothing shows in powercfg /requests.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom