Okay, I'm stumped. XML woes. (1 Viewer)

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    In an effort to bring mepo and simplify up to date, I have been reworking many of the animated sequences (that is, .PNG sequences and not zoomong buttons). I have now totally lost my plugins animation and the weather animation plays the first few frames, then displays nothing. All the others are fine. It's a complete mystery as they are all pretty much the same .XML code with the exception of the file names used. I have reloaded the .PNG files into photoshop and resaved them, I have even generated a completely new sequence of frames of a box tipping over and the .XML still cuts out at the same spot. ?????

Here is my 'hover_my weather.xml'

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <window>
    <controls>
    <control>
    <description>seperator animation</description>
    <type>animation</type>
    <textures>Animations\we\we0001.png;Animations\we\we0002.png;Animations\we\we0003.png;Animations\we\we0004.png;Animations\we\we0005.png;Animations\we\we0006.png;Animations\we\we0007.png;Animations\we\we0008.png;Animations\we\we0009.png;Animations\we\we0010.png;Animations\we\we0011.png;Animations\we\we0012.png;Animations\we\we0013.png;Animations\we\we0014.png;Animations\we\we0015.png;Animations\we\we0016.png;Animations\we\we0017.png;Animations\we\we0018.png;Animations\we\we0019.png;Animations\we\we0020.png;Animations\we\we0021.png;Animations\we\we0022.png;Animations\we\we0023.png;Animations\we\we0024.png</textures>
    <Duration>0:0:2.0</Duration>
    <RepeatBehavior>1</RepeatBehavior>
    <FillBehavior>HoldEnd</FillBehavior>
    </control>
    </controls>
    </window>

Any help would be appreciated.

Grassy (lost all his holiday cheer tonight) Noel.

mirk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2006
    Växjö, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Maybe im stuped to :) but you have alot of spaces between w and e, maybe there are the problem ?

Should it not bee like this.

Animations\we\we0001.png;Animations\we\we0002.png;Animations\we\we0003.png;Animations\we\we0004.png;
    Animations\we\we0005.png;Animations\we\we0006.png;Animations\we\we0007.png;Animations\we\we0008.png;
    Animations\we\we0009.png;Animations\we\we0010.png;Animations\we\we0011.png;Animations\we\we0012.png;
    Animations\we\we0013.png;Animations\we\we0014.png;Animations\we\we0015.png;Animations\we\we0016.png;
    Animations\we\we0017.png;Animations\we\we0018.png;Animations\we\we0019.png;Animations\we\we0020.png;
    Animations\we\we0021.png;Animations\we\we0022.png;Animations\we\we0023.png;Animations\we\we0024.png</textures>

If it had something to do with the copying process to the post, then never mind.

madsrh

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2006
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is offtopic, (sorry) but WOW cool stuff on your homepage Glenn! :eek:
    You are really talented. Keep up the good work.

baloubic

Portal Member
    June 10, 2006
    Hate it when it happens, and the error is so small it's impossible to spot...

Here's what I'd do (the way for us people who can't wait for someone smarter to figure out the solution):

* Since you already have a couple of working XML animation scripts, replace the faulty weather and plugins xml with, say, the working Music script (just copy and rename).

Now you have MePo doing his music thingy as you watch the weather, right? Step two:

* Replace _one_ of the weather (music) animation images with the correct file, say, Animations\we\we0008.png;.

Did the weather-mepo image now show briefly when you ran the weather/music script? If no, something is wrong with the path/file naming. If yes, replace the rest (one by one to be on the safe side).

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I already tried that. I copied another XML and renamed it weather. t ran okay. I then copy/pasted the sting of PNG files from the original weather into the nw one and it failed. I deleted the actual PNG filed and rendered a box falling (using the same name structure) and it failed so I'm assuming there is something wrong with the string.

Glenn

baloubic

Portal Member
    June 10, 2006
    So don't copy the whole string - somewhere in there is the error..!

Change one .png-path at the time manually, and check if the xml is still working for each path change you do. Tedious, I know, but at least you'll be able to pinpoint or bypass the problem.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Could it be that one of the png files is not named as you have it in your xml page? Could it be that one of te png files has a strange attribute, like system (not sure if that may cause the problem). To see all the files and to see the attributes (using Windows XP in an explorer window) just change your view to details (menu: View->Details) then right click on the column heading (typically: Name, Size, Type, Date Modified) at the top then select attributes. Then you can compare easily if one file may have a different attribute than another and it possibly maybe holding up the animation.

SOUNDYTIM

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2006
    i think this is the problem "\w e0024.png</textures" i think it should be "\we0024.png</textures" its at the end !

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    i think this is the problem "\w e0024.png</textures" i think it should be "\we0024.png</textures" its at the end !

I copied and pasted into Word and turned on all formatting marks and there were no spaces between the foldernames, slash, filenames. Only after everyother semicolon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom