Opinion : NAS HDD - Seagate NAS or WD RED (2 Viewers)

What NAS HDD do you prefer? / What is the best power management of NAS ?

• WD RED 3 TO - 5400 rpm - WD30EFRX

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Seagate NAS 3 TO - 5900 rpm - ST3000VN000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other One - please post the model.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NAS running 24/7

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • NAS sleep when not used

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I am a noob ignore me :)

You are right. Go with Red!

I just read that Red has a nice feature that Green doesn't.

TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) is a very important feature if you will be using the drive(s) in RAID since it limits the amount of time a hard drive can spend trying to recover from an error. Normally, if a data error is detected the hard drive will attempt to recover the data and repair the error. Depending on the nature and severity of the error, this can take anywhere from a few milliseconds to a couple of minutes. Normally, this isn't a big deal - it just results in the data not being available for a bit longer than normal. However, RAID controllers only allow for a short amount of recovery time (usually about 7-14 seconds) before the controller assumes that the drive is having problems, drops the drive from the array, and marks the array as degraded.

What TLER does is limit the amount of time the hard drive can spend trying to repair an error before giving up. Since many types of RAID have built-in error correcting, it is preferable to let the RAID itself repair the error than to let the hard drive drop and degrade the RAID array. While TLER is absolutely great if the drive is used in a RAID array, it is not useful (and could even be a negative) if the drive is simply a stand-alone drive. Luckily, WD has provided us with proprietary tools that allow us disable TLER on systems that do not have RAID arrays.

And on the power consumption front:

Head parking delay Green is 8 seconds and Red is 300 seconds.

These are the two major differences that i could find.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Poll updated with the system power management.

- NAS running everytime 24h/24 and 7d/7
    - Sleep when not used.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    And about WD RED speed

my usage is for storage :
    Music
    Vidéo
    Pictures
    no problem of latency or waiting ?

my network is CAT6. so 1GB

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    But i think this will depend more on ur actuall NAS device.

My 1st NAS device was an old Linksys (sorry dont remember the exact model) and it was extremelly slow. It didnt matter if i had WD Green or WD Black installed, the NAS itself could not handle blu-ray .iso streaming.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    About Radi stuff,
    i'm planned to used SHR instead of Raid5, it's an good choice.

sorry for noob question. it's my first nas.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    As a NAS OS I recommend unRAID:
    http://lime-technology.com/
    Once you use it, you will never go back to other NAS solutions! Its like MediaPortal in Media Center genre, unRAID is the best choice for storing media files. In other words: "everything else is just a NAS..." :D

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, i must buy 5 Disk for my NAS. This one is an Synology DS1512+, buy 2years ago, but never Powered ON. My first Model was WD RED 3TO, but i have promotial offer on Seagate NAS during 60Hours
    I would like to suggest a slightly different solution. :)

Your DS1512+ has 5 slots, and you will presumably use RAID5 (or Synology Hybrid Raid). One disk is used as a "parity disk", so you end up with a data space of 4x3TB = 12TB.

In contrast, if you purchased 3x6TB disks, one disk would again become the parity disk, giving you a data space of 2x6TB = 12TB. So you would initially end up with the same usable space, but the difference is that you would still have 2 slots free, for future expansion (in, say, 2-3 years time).

When I set up my DS1515+ a few weeks ago, I found that it was possible to find in the UK several sellers where the price per terabyte was virtually the same for all disk sizes (so no price advantage in buying the smaller disk sizes). So I chose 6TB WD Red disks for my DS1515+. You can never have too much disk space. :D

I realise that the initial outlay is greater (3x6TB will cost more than 5x3TB), and the special discount that you can get on the 3TB disks may sway the argument in their favour, but I thought that this alternative was worth considering. If this alternative seems appealing, you shoud check that your DS1512+ supports 6TB disks, and that it can create a volume larger than 16TB (some of the older/smaller Synology units have a volume limit of 16TB).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom