Opinion : NAS HDD - Seagate NAS or WD RED (1 Viewer)

What NAS HDD do you prefer? / What is the best power management of NAS ?

• WD RED 3 TO - 5400 rpm - WD30EFRX

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Seagate NAS 3 TO - 5900 rpm - ST3000VN000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other One - please post the model.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NAS running 24/7

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • NAS sleep when not used

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But i don't know if i need really the vibration sensor?
    As I understand it, the Western Digital Red disks are specifically designed for NAS use, and do include some protection against the affects of vibration.

(1) I believe that for the previous generation of Red disks, WD recommended that no more than five disks should be used in a single NAS (so your DS1512 would be OK).

(2) With the current generation of Red disks, the limit recommended by WD has been increased to eight disks in a single NAS.

Whether the vibration protection actually makes a difference is difficult to judge -- when a disk malfunctions, there is unlikely to be a clear indication as to the cause. I think that there is a more advanced (and costly!) "pro" version of the Red disks, and an even more expensive "enterprise" version (not sure what colour that is!); these presumably have better vibration protection.

I was happy to go with the "standard" (cheaper) Red disks for my NAS (a DS1515+). But I guess it comes down to the value of your data, how many backups you keep, and your assessment of the risks. :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    As I understand it, the Western Digital Red disks are specifically designed for NAS use, and do include some protection against the affects of vibration.
    i think not,
    The WD who include vibration sensor are the WD RED PRO. but very cheaper.

The Seagate seems have the vibration stuff inside his NAS HDD. so after verifying datasheet on both disk.

what i can read :
    WD
    "> 3D Active BalancePlus
    Our enhanced dual-plane balance
    control technology signifiantly
    improves the overall drive
    performance and reliability. Hard
    drives that are not properly balanced
    may cause excessive vibration and
    noise in a multi-drive system, reduce
    the hard drive life span, and degrade
    the performance over time. (EFRX
    models only)

Seagate,
    Improved vibration tolerance and emission in multi-drive systems
    with dual-plane balance
    so excepted marketing stuff, i think disk are egual. and only the RPM can change.
    5400rpm for WD
    5900 rpm for Seagate.

So, in conclusion, all guy's who say me feedback have WD, and nobody Seagate.

Attachments

• WD RED Datasheet.pdf
      566.9 KB
    • Seagate NAS HDD Datasheet.pdf
      343.7 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I believe that this vibration aspect is more marketing speech than of actual value, at least within a private environment.

Users should make use of SMART parameter monitors that will warn when the disk is starting to degrade. In 25 years of using hard disks, starting with a terribly expensive 20 MB (yes: mega ;)) to now 3 TB units, I never had a disk failure that did not announce itself long before it actually broke down. With this in mind I would look at optimizing cost rather than searching for professional failure rate characteristics.

Also, anything you buy today will be much cheaper tomorrow. Therefore it could be an intersting option to buy cheaper 2nd generation technology now and upgrade later. Depending on what setup you are using, this could be as simple as replacing the drive.

Myself I am using cheaper WD Green only for years now and have not had a single failure. Maybe I am just lucky but this is what it is for me.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    i think not. The WD who include vibration sensor are the WD RED PRO.
    Yes, you are right. I was thinking of the "Active Balance Plus" feature, which is included in the standard "WD Red" disks, and presumably makes some contribution to reducing vibration. But as you say, it is the "WD Red Pro" disks that include active stabilisation:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1280#Tab2
    In combination with 3D Active Balance Plus, WD Red Pro also features hardware vibration compensation technology which monitors the drive to correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time, further increasing drive reliability.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Myself I am using cheaper WD Green only for years now and have not had a single failure. Maybe I am just lucky but this is what it is for me.
    I have had two 2TB Western Digital Green disks fail within the last several years (but both outside the warranty period :(). These were external "My Book" USB disks, so not subject to vibration from other disks in a NAS. I did not move them around much, and I was careful not to knock them inadvertently.

I was using a total of ten "My Book" disks at that time, so two failures gives a failure rate of 20% :eek:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Let's not talk statistics. You and I is too narow data to draw any conclusion. I do believe though that your disk did not fail from one minute to the other. Also, you can never really be sure what that you did not mistreat them at some point.

Replacing two cheap disks after two years compared to buying more expensive ones and having them run longer, only to then find out that technological progress would give you more disk space at less cost is something everybody has to decide for himself.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Sure.
    But as i use real nas. Im affraid by the "raid reject "

So. I will buy wd disk.

Thank men's

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Disk Reserved

4 x 4 TO WD RED
    i have take : the 1 year waranty : exchange by the same model if problem.
    167.09 x 4 = 668.38 € + 4 x 17.58 ( waranty ) = 738.70 € the bundle.

hum, now i have AN RED ASS.
    RedAss.jpg

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Now. Who know the procedure for testing disk ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom