(original thread) MCE Replacement Plugin v1.0.0 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi xavier,

I don't suspend my htpc, but I've made a change to the plugin and it seems to work for me. I've attached the plugin dll to this post, copy over your existing one and give it a try. If it works for you I'll update the release on the first page of the post.

A couple of other things I've just thought of:
    1. The only button that responds during standby is the PC Power button at the top right of the remote.

and

2. This link might help, I can't confim this though as I don't have the problem you're getting. http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;841858&x=9&y=6

Cheers,

slipery

Portal Member
    July 5, 2006
    Hi Aaron,
    Great work well done. Would love to see it be able to replace myblaster and also support the MCE keyboard.

Cheers and keep up the great work.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The next version will support MyBlaster style external channel changing. In fact I have had that feature running in my local copy for about a week. I've not released it yet because I know it will draw a bit of attention and I was hoping to have some more testing done first.

My current plan is to release a new version when the MediaPortal 0.2.0.5 stable release is made, because the only way to use the plugin at the moment is with a recent SVN.

If anyone is keeping up to date with MP SVN updates and would like to try the plugin with the external channel changing support, let me know and I'll send you a copy. I keep my SVN up to date, so I can't say exactly what date SVN you'll need to run my current working copy, but it would be something within the last few days I expect.

As for the MCE Keyboard support: Well, the replacement driver doesn't support it. I could try extending the replacement driver, but that's for another time. However, the plugin will work without the replacement driver installed. So you can get the benefits of IR blasting and external channel changing. I don't own an MCE Keyboard so I can't be 100% sure it will work with this plugin installed, but I'm fairly certain it would.

The original purpose of this plugin was simply to provide greater flexibility for the MCE remote by supporting the replacement driver, however, now that it supports blasting command sequences and external channel changing it has use even without the replacement driver.

Something I should have made clear early on is that you can actually use the plugin without the replacement driver. I've made this clear in the updated install instructions that will come with the next version.

Finally, If anyone has tested the plugin and found problems with it I would very much appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    now with MyBlaster style channel changing, and more ...

ok,

Here is my latest version. I consider this to be Release Candidate 1. I will release the plugin properly when the next stable MP is released. If any bugs are fixed between now and then I will consider RC2, etc ...

This version adds MyBlaster style channel changing. It's been tested a lot and is working very well for those who are using it already.

So basically, it's now an all in one plugin for MCE remotes.

You can use the original driver or the replacement driver, you choose. With the original driver it should support the MCE keyboard (I don't have one, so I can't test this). With the replacement driver you can remap ALL the buttons. So that's the choice, essentially.

There is now detailed documentation inside the zip file. I urge you to read it before you start using the plugin. Even if you're not ready to use the plugin (maybe you're waiting for the next MP stable release) I'd ask that you still have a look at the documentation so you know what you're in for, and so you can make suggestions or requests ahead of the next stable release.

This version was compiled against SVN:
    MediaPortal-svn--10-10-2006--01-00-Rev10964.exe

I know it's a pain that it's compiled against SVN's, but the plugin uses features that are only in SVN and I'm keeping the source code up to date with all the recent changes so that when the next stable release comes out it will be ready to go.

If you're keen on the features this plugin offers then please try it now before the next stable release is made, so that when it is released the plugin will be 100%.

As always, if you have any suggestions, comments or bugs then please let me know.

Thanks,

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've just downloaded the file to check it out. I can't try it on MP until tonight, but I just wanted to say that I am liking what I see so far. It is so well documented, should be a breeze to set up.

My favorite feature is the "send to when not focussed" bit. This will save fights on the bedroom PC, which is not a dedicated HTPC.
    MP is displayed on the TV but I have to keep clicking on it so my partner can use the remote to skip comercials while I am working on the PC.

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Hi Arron,

First of all, nice job.

Have question, do you think it would be able to make the plug-in map any received signal to a function inside MP, not only signals sent by a MCE remote?

The idea would be able to use MCE receiver/transceiver but map codes from any remote control, for example an universal remote., giving more flexibility on remote control unit choice. What do you think?

Once again, nice job!

Julio

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    All I know is my gut says maybe.

I'll look into it for you.

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Good news, everyone!

It seems my MCE receiver registers every button press on my TV remote, and I'm 99.9% sure I could map these in my plugin (with a little bit of work).

It does not however register any buttons on my Xbox remote.

What does this tell us? Well it means it's not going to work with "Any" remote. But it definately will work with "Some".

How many is some? I dunno.

I think I already know the reasons for this, but I'm not going to speculate right now, suffice to say that in theory and at least for some Remote controls I can and will make this work.

I'll make the following outrageous claim too! I will have a proof of concept up and running within a week!

Watch this space.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Now with experimental "different remote" support

Ok,

So that wasn't too painful in the end. Of course, it's now 3:40am local time, but when I get on a roll I don't like to stop.

I've attached a new version of the plugin. Please only use this one if you want to test the new "different remote" feature. This feature lets you map any "compatible" remote to act like an MCE remote. I haven't updated the included docs but I will do that shortly. Basically, you go to plugin configuration, you click on "Map Diff. Remote", select an MCE remote button you want to map a button on your "different" remote to and click learn. You then press the remote button and you will see a number appear next to the button name in the list. This is a numerical representation of the button you just pressed. If it doesn't do anything then your remote isn't compatible.

When done, click OK. Exit configuration, enter mediaportal and control away.

So basically, you have two mappings happening. Different Remote maps to MCE remote and then MCE remote button mappings apply. You'll understand when you start mucking around with it, trust me.

So who needs this feature? Well, you could easily program a universal remote with compatible buttons to work as if it were an MCE remote. This would get around the problem some universals have with the MCE remote because it uses toggle codes. So yeah, if that's you, rejoice.

Don't ask me what a compatible remote is, I can't tell you. You'll just have to try and see. All I know at this stage is that my Samsung tv remote works, my Xbox remote doesn't. I'll try to elaborate on this later, I have a fair idea what makes a remote compatible, I just wanna be sure first. Right now, I'm exhausted, so I'll try to provide more info tomorrow.

Cheers, and goodnight.

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Damm.

I've logged to see if had a answer and you already did it.

That was fast.

I'll be testing this for you. :)

Thanks a Lot !!!!

Julio

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom