(original thread) MCE Replacement Plugin v1.0.0 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opusnut

Portal Pro
February 22, 2006
Hi,

first off, fantastic plugin. It's been needed for a while now! :) Everything seems to work fine on my machine and i do have a MCE keyboard which functions fine as long as you dont replace the windows driver. So that is all good, but i am having an issue with my cursor up/down buttons skipping through two selections whenever you push the button. They function fine with the packaged MP MCE driver.

any ideas??

thanx
opusnut

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    During plugin configuration click "Map MCE Buttons"

Then click "Remove replacement driver mappings"

This will remove the buttons that are only mappable when you have the replacement driver. It's because of these doubled-up mappings that you are getting double-presses. I'm thinking about trying to automate this in code...

I'm glad to hear you like the plugin. If you have any other questions, requests or suggestions you know where to find me.

Cheers,

Nefius

Portal Pro
    December 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    OMG.. this looks like an awesome plugin!
    I must say.. this is a very nice feature and i want to give you my compliments in being so enthousiastic and doing such a fast development of the plugin.

Gonna test it somewhere this week.. if i do.. ill let you know how it works with a couple of remotes.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Nefius,

I hope it lives up to your expectations. Be sure to let me know how you go, and if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

In other news, I've just finished setting up my DVICO FusionHDTV remote to work as if it was an MCE remote with the plugins "Different remote" feature. This remote has most of the buttons that the MCE remote has, but it has some different too. For example, it has an aspect ratio button, which I never had on my original MCE remote. So if you've got a FusionHDTV remote you'd rather use instead of your MCE remote, I can confirm that the plugin will work with it.

The FusionHDTV remote I have that is working came with a FusionHDTV Hybrid card, I've also got a smaller FusionHDTV remote that came with my original FusionHDTV DVB-T 1, but that remote does not work with the plugin.

Cheers,

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is there a way to save and share the remote "codes" from one user to another as more people try out other remotes? Maybe someone will create a list on the ones that work?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey mzemina,

There is a file in the mediaportal\plugins\process\mcereplacement folder called DifferentRemote.xml, this is where the remote button id's are mapped to the MCE remote buttons. You could share this file if you wanted to transport the mappings around. But it's so easy to set up your own and make it just the way you want I doubt there is any need for sharing these mappings.

As for the actual blasting codes, well they're stored in seperate files in the \IR folder that is under the folder mentioned above. They could be shared for blasting purposes. Maybe common set top boxes could have all their codes bundled up in a zip file and put in a forum post, this might make setting up blasting and external channel changing easier for newcomers. Maybe I could even ship the plugin with codes and let people choose common setups from a drop down box, or select "Custom" to define their own? What do people think of that?

I think a list of compatible remote controls is a good idea too.

If people want to list what remotes have and have not worked I will compile the list and include it in the documentation. I'll also keep an updated list either on this forum or on my web site.

I believe the rule is that any remote that uses RC6 codes should work. Can someone confirm or deny this? Either way, it's of little use to the end user to know what IR code system is used because their remote isn't likely to have a big sticker with "RC6" written on it. :)

Just make sure you supply all the relevant information about the make and model of the remote. I'm primarily interested in remotes that are suited to this use. Eg. Remotes that come with TV tuner cards, Universal remotes, or TV/DVD/VCR type remotes that have extra buttons for additional equipment.

Also, I'll be releasing a simple standalone program soon that you can run to test your remotes for compatibility. But it is very easy to test in the plugin configuration already.

Thanks for the ideas mzemina. Just when I think I'm nearly finished another idea comes up that will make this plugin even better.

I need to learn how to write shorter posts don't I?

Cheers,

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Aaron:

Thank you for putting the channel changing blaster functions in your plugin. MP can now change channels on my satelite receiver!! That's GREAT!!

I had to update to MediaPortal-svn--10-10-2006--22-12-Rev10978.exe so I'm not sure if the minor problems are with your plugin or with the SVN.

When I press 'INF' on the remote in while viewing the TV, the menu just flashes on the screen then off. It is not on long enough to select a choice. It should stay on the screen so you can move up or down the menu.

The same when listening to music. Menu doesn't stay on the screen.

I notice that I have to hold the 'pause' button down for a few seconds before MP pauses either music or TV.

Has anyone else got these problems with my version of the SVN or with the plugin?

Thanks ... Dale

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've noticed the Pause issue. If you just press it like normal then you see the pause display flash on the screen very briefly then vanish. Have to hold the button for at least a second or two.

I am using the regular MCE driver with the plugin. Very little mods to the mapping and I have deleted the extra buttons from the new driver.

Great plugin, like I said before, the ability to control MP from out of focus windows is great...

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    HEllo Marcusb:

After posting my comments about the INF and Pause, I did hold these buttons for several seconds and got the proper menus and it did pause as it should. Must be a bug in the SVN version.

Thank you again Aaron for spending the time to develope this plugin.

Dale

opusnut

Portal Pro
    February 22, 2006
    Hi Aaron,

After upgrading to the latest svn--10-11-2006--01-00-Rev10980, the blasting does not work from within MP. The codes work when i use the test button in the config, but when trying to use the remote buttons i have maped in MP, they wont blast. The log is showing that your driver is maping the key press.

anyone else having this problem?

thanx,
    opusnut

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom