[patch] Choose the screen in which MP will start (fullscreen or window) (1 Viewer)

huma2000

Portal Pro
December 1, 2006
Murcia, Spain
Home Country
Spain Spain
I mean if is possible I automatically turn on the secondary display when running mp (I think it must do by hand atm) and mp change the resolution to the 1080p at start and go back to my workin resolution when turn off.
So an example could be: I have two display, a 4:3 19" as primary and another 22" 16:9 as secondary, so I want use the secondary at one resolution when working and a 1080p resolution while watching mediaportal on it. Is that possible atm?? or I must stick with the batch to do it?
Thanks u.

furiousdog

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
So an example could be: I have two display, a 4:3 19" as primary and another 22" 16:9 as secondary, so I want use the secondary at one resolution when working and a 1080p resolution while watching mediaportal on it. Is that possible atm?? or I must stick with the batch to do it?
Thanks u.

I have a similar setup, I prefer to watch films on the 16:9 or put mediaportal on the 4:3 while working on the 16:9. So im wanting to move mediaportal between screens without closing it, going to config and starting it again.

piba I wrote a plugin that would do this using SetWindowPos() and it work until a video is played where it would move back to the original screen. Does your patch move mediaportal to which ever screen it started up in before it plays a video? If so, is it possible to have it detect which screen mediaportal is in and enable DirectX in there without moving screens? I have tried looking at your code but I am still new at C#

great to hear this has been included in the SVN

piba

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    huma2000 I dont think MP can change the resolution of your screens. Thou for getting MP to display on your secondary display should use the /screen=1 parameter i would recommend. Then directx acceleration will be used..

furiousdog changing the monitor on witch MP is displayed while running is currently not possible but i will look into this when current problems have been fixed. Thou i think it would be quite hard to do...

huma2000

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2006
    Murcia, Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    :( then i must continue using the autoit scrip for it :( well, I hope you implement it (but is a very low priority, tehere is more important things to work ;))
    Thanks for the support.

Brutus

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Belgium
    Running MP on secondary screen causes exceptions in Planescene (while playing full screen tv, didn't checked myvideo etc). Anybody else noticed this ? (running mediaportal.exe /screen=1)

belongs to previous post:

btw used latest SVN and TVEngine3 ...

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    piba, thanks a lot for this :) I just tried the current SVN and it works like a charme using my TV for MP while using the desktop on the monitor as usual! Great :)

This will be a huge improvement for MP once it is "really" included in the releases (meaning as an option in the setup program).

Thanks again!
    Maschine

Smolle

Portal Member
    August 7, 2007
    Works fantastic!

Great patch. One bug: If i chose a film to play, mp hides from the screen till the film starts......

hm,...no reason to do not switch from mce to media portal!:D

Smolle

piba

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Brutus, I have not seen that error.. do you start MP fullscreen ?

Smolle, how/where do you choose a film ? "Play DVD", "Videos", or "Recorded TV" ? does it happen always ?

b.t.w. after starting MP fullscreen, making it windowed and fullscreen again, it will minimize when focus is lost. that is one of the thing im trying to fix. also the skin still sometimes has the wrong size when MP is started fullscreen on second window and dragging MP from one screen to the other is being worked on..

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    @FanoI So it works for you right? That really makes me happy because i was told it wouldn't work for NVidia cards.

@ everyone
    To get this patch in the SVN version: if it works for you post a message here so i can tell the MPdevelopers it has been tested successfully by a a lot of people.
    If it doesn't work and please also post what exactly isn't working so i can fix it. Or if you can develop your welcome to write and post adjustments i could use to improve the patch.

Then a few more questions i would like people to check and report in this thread.
    - What graphics card do you use? ATI / NVidia witch model ?

- Is configuring on witch screen you want to display MP working as expected, two options to chose from ? with correct resolutions and adapternames displayed ?

- CPU usage should not jump to 100% ? (it shouldn't but i my situation when not using the patched version when i dragged the MP window to the second screen my cpu got very busy.. because graphics acceleration wasn't configured to use that screen. Now dragging MP to other window is not needed anymore so no cpu usage problem either..)

If you would like to talk to me on IRC thats also possible thou im not online verry often. But if you send me a email with a time in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) ill try to get online that same time.. b.t.w. im in the +2 time zone..(+1+1 actually the second +1 is for summer time in the Netherlands)

Downloaded the posted rar files and installed. This is great, exactly what I needed.

Works fine without any problems:

- Nvidia 7900GT & ForceWare 162.18
    - Primary display ViewSonic 20" TFT @ 1680x1050
    - Secondary "display" Mirai Full-HD LCD TV @ 1920x1080p
    - CPU usage around 10% when watching DVB with FireDTV

Excellent!

andycrow

Portal Member
    August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello,

I just want to let you know, the patch is working fine with NVIDIA 8800GT too.
    Now I am able to send MP to my 1080p TV. Finally I can use the internal video player without jumping back to my primary screen.

One Thing, now I get an error with the "easyapps" plugin. (unsupported version error) Maybe you can fix that. Would be great.

Also, when I now open a program under the "myapps" option, the application is still starting on the primary screen. Any ideas?

Anyway, thank you for your work, I am very happy with your solution.

NVIDIA BFG 8800GT
    WIN XP SP2
    1. Monitor HP 1680x1050
    2. Monitor Full HD SOny TV 1080p
    CPU Usage: normal

BR Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom