[Patch] Tuner Issue and channel-scan crash - Windows XP (2 Viewers)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    What is the purpose of this patch?

Note: This patch is required by MediaPortal for all analog and digital TV Cards in XP (as specified in the Requirements)
    WindowsXP contains several bugs which will cause major showstopper issues, like crashes, when using MediaPortal with a dvb or atsc card.​
    The fix will unregister the old files in the "windows\system32" folder, and register the new files provided by the download archive.​
    No files will get deleted!
    Windows XP MediaCenter Edition RU2 is not effected from these issues, because Microsoft fixed them in the Roll Up 2.​
    Thats where the files from this patch are coming from.​
    Windows Vista also does not need this fix.​

Requirements:
    Before you apply the dvbfix on your WindowsXP installation, you have to check the MediaPortal requirements.​
    Please apply all the updates and hotfixes listed there before you apply the dvb-hotfix.​
    Attention:
    • the dvb-fix installation will fail if Windows MediaPlayer 11 or later is missing.
    • if you install a Windows Service Pack after you pplied the dvb-fix, you have to re-apply the dvb-fix!
    • if you install WindowsXP ServicePack 3 on a Windows XP MCE system, then you need the dvb-fix, because the WindowsXP SP3 replaces the fixed files from the WindowsXP MCE - RU2 update.
    Installation:
    1. .:: download the dvb-hotfix ::.
    2. unzip the archive to c:\ (this will create c:\dvbfix)
    3. enter the "dvbfix" folder on c:\
      Note: please just place it on c:\ because thats the safe way.
    4. doubleckick the "runme.bat" which will unregister the broken files in "windows\system32" and register the new files in "c:\dvbfix"
    5. restart your PC
    Note:
    If you get an error message that a component could not get registered, then you miss the latest version of the Windows MediaPlayer.​
    Attention:
    • NEVER delete the c:\dvbfix folder, or your system will miss all the files in this folder and therefore some functionality will stop working completelly!
    • NEVER replace the files inside windows/system32 with the files provided by the patch. Windows will restore the old versions on every re-boot of the pc.
    General Note:
    • WindowsUpdates / WindowsMediaPlayer
      The reason why we require all windows updates to be installed and the latest Version of Windows MediaPlayer is that Microsoft releases fixes such as for DirectShow, bundled with updates as i.e. WindowsMediaPlayer.
    • "%~dp0" makro in runme.bat
      We received a few questions regarding the purpose of the "%~dp0" macro which is used in the runme.bat.

The "%~dp0" macro resolves the fully expanded path to the directory containing the batch file. This allows batch files to run regardless of the current working directory.
    Trouble registering any of the files ?
    Try and install windows mediaplayer 11.

Last edited by a moderator:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Am I missing something here or is Reg running XP MCE and doesn't need the patch?

My understanding is that although I have XP Media Centre Edition, having done the Service Pack 3 Update the patch is then required.
    With RU2, Microsoft release a patch to fix the dvb-issues in WinXP-MCE.
    But these fixes are NOT part of ServicePack 3.

So by installing SP3 on WinXP-MCE, you revert the fixes from RU2.
    I have no clue why M$ did this..... :confused:

Shivian

Portal Pro
    November 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Am I missing something here or is Reg running XP MCE and doesn't need the patch?

My understanding is that although I have XP Media Centre Edition, having done the Service Pack 3 Update the patch is then required.
    With RU2, Microsoft release a patch to fix the dvb-issues in WinXP-MCE.
    But these fixes are NOT part of ServicePack 3.

So by installing SP3 on WinXP-MCE, you revert the fixes from RU2.
    I have no clue why M$ did this..... :confused:
    Ah ok. Sounds very inconvenient!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've just done a cleanup here and soft-deleted all posts which were oudated/missleading/totally offtopic, because they just confused new users.

All required informations are inside the first post. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom